Friends of....

Gayle V

Nice sharings as always Godspeed to those healing the issue whatever side of the fence they are on and my heart goes out to you on your losses.

Well...earlier on this thread i wrote more about my family's losses..more issues and addictions with alcohol I left out but many touched in direct or extended families of each sibling..a terrible cowboy issue here,,methinks.......my folks have a drink most nights at 5 and just can have one..my grandma did too..only 1 and until 97.5!! She always was able to stop when sick etc..we should have snuck it in hospital at end; and we could bring her home from hospital that final Christmas nite where she never let the bourbon we gave her out of her hand LOL and passed 2 days later...

2 sisters and I just don't do nightly thing and since I have moved..even less other than vacations...my stomach/sleep can't take it as much anymore..though I am grateful i always could have one and my folks stop too if sick...we did just make as a family decision with one we pray newly sober nephew ans B in Law and celebrating Chirstmas late with us..we are having no wine or alcohol...we know the other rules are people who can should be able to but we are going to support my nephew and hopefully his dad will do this with him as he has said he would do this for his son..not holding breath..but i see so much generationally..and even 5 o'clock every nite does have some issues IMHO..for me...but I don't judge that.

I too feel lucky I can enjoy occasionally but more and more just prefer my calories from food..and as i age my stomach more sensitive..it is a sugar metabolism thing on one level...I think...one of many things and issues.

Anyway thanks for your story, my nephew is suicidal from different ptsd, helps the remembering not alone when tide is high again and I pray for all in treatment and this holiday season with this issue, will be big drinking on holidays on the ships..always is... so prayers for them too...I do not want to bury another family member and this nephew has a one year old...turned one while he was starting treatment..sigh, but i am fairly detached and in a good place..too many other things keeping me busy..LOL..blessings all am soo soo glad FOB is on the ships..they helped me so much when my brother in law first died and his kids were 2 and 5 then, i was only one in family that went to 12 steps..(now I hope this sister's family will follow suit)..I then switched to alanon for years, which i know I can find again as this rolls along..along with just always being in a tune up in my line of work LOL..Sarah

Oh Carole..I was sent and adopted father figure and friend 40 years my senior who just passed 2 year ago who got sober after being POW in WWII and always did the program in an elegant and helpful way..so sorry again for your losses..now I know what preempted that one cruise maybe..Hugs,,Sarah

Sarah, you sound like you have an awesome, supportive family, with all the support I wish for your nephew recovery and to be able to go on and live a healthy, productive life. I also hope your BIL can find help in the program, it's a very good one if taken seriously.

Yes we couldn't even think of going on that cruise, he wasn't gone yet but had a couple very serious attempts, my husband and I were letting him live with us and I was working very hard with him and the people at my awesome facility to find some recovery for him, in the end sometimes the pain is too great and they don't make it. I was really surprised you remembered we missed one!!! Your such a caring person.

I never thought I'd be in a discussion about AA and lose from alcoholism on Cruise Critic, considering most of the threads run more to smuggling on alcohol (guilty here too, I used to always pack a small bottle of baileys to go with my coffee) But I agree the older I get the less likely I am to drink more than one or two.

We are looking forward to our next cruise which is waayyyyyyyyyyyyy too far away, this snow is piling up here, how bout in Montana????

<hugs> Carole

Sarah, you sound like you have an awesome, supportive family, with all the support I wish for your nephew recovery and to be able to go on and live a healthy, productive life. I also hope your BIL can find help in the program, it's a very good one if taken seriously.

Yes we couldn't even think of going on that cruise, he wasn't gone yet but had a couple very serious attempts, my husband and I were letting him live with us and I was working very hard with him and the people at my awesome facility to find some recovery for him, in the end sometimes the pain is too great and they don't make it. I was really surprised you remembered we missed one!!! Your such a caring person.

I never thought I'd be in a discussion about AA and lose from alcoholism on Cruise Critic, considering most of the threads run more to smuggling on alcohol (guilty here too, I used to always pack a small bottle of baileys to go with my coffee) But I agree the older I get the less likely I am to drink more than one or two.

We are looking forward to our next cruise which is waayyyyyyyyyyyyy too far away, this snow is piling up here, how bout in Montana????

<hugs> Carole

My family is a normal crazy, very supportive one, all of us growing all the time...and lots of missing links...which is some LOL and some serious as you know.

We are so lucky on the snow front this year Carole crossing fingers, only 2 and i thought i could shovel them all this year (wrong on number 2..i can do the paths)..I had to come back from Oregon.....land of almost no winter, but seasons......(but I hope i can go back) to continue and do what I could do for me and family and had separate health issues myself..that helped my tummy not be able to take much alcohol. I did take little plastic bottles like the airplane on my 2009 cruise..had A FEW...my last trip was Enrique..OMG the fling I needed LOL..and have some real new friends from there. My last drinks were on Enrique trip and 2 I had at home..one being shoveling first snow...LOL.

I look at it like this....we who have a drink at all are on a line from one to 10 and if 10 is can and one is can't..there fore the Grace of God go all of us and one better be ready to hit one and say no for self, friends or family in the proper situations..

Can not remember if I saw them (but think I did)...but a few copies "The Blue Book" should be in libraries of all ships...as you say my friend Cheers..and remember all the Light of the Season..someone just put out an amazing lawn huge snowglobe..it is sooooo cool....Sarah

my bil goes to the friends of bill w., and says the attendees are mostly the ships crew.

FOB 20+years, 3 cruises so far, all with Carnaval.....the last one 11-27-11 we had 16-25 people daily, never have seen a crew member at a FOB meeting. Not to say it doesn't happen, just never on my 3 cruises. FOD meetings were usually non attended.

FOB 20+years, 3 cruises so far, all with Carnaval.....the last one 11-27-11 we had 16-25 people daily, never have seen a crew member at a FOB meeting. Not to say it doesn't happen, just never on my 3 cruises. FOD meetings were usually non attended.

trade, I wonder if Carnival has some kind of policy that doesn't allow their employees to attend these meetings? Not sure if that is the case, but I know my employer would frown on one of us going to a meeting where we work, although they would support it outside of work (which I know it's anonymous, but still kinda weird if you're known to work there??)

Just a thought........ I know there must be some recovering alcoholic working on the ships.

Carole

trade, I wonder if Carnival has some kind of policy that doesn't allow their employees to attend these meetings? Not sure if that is the case, but I know my employer would frown on one of us going to a meeting where we work, although they would support it outside of work (which I know it's anonymous, but still kinda weird if you're known to work there??)

Just a thought........ I know there must be some recovering alcoholic working on the ships.

Carole

Thanks..if we ever get the WHOLE family on a ship...that would be great..to have option be real. I see all those angles too...they must have something for the crew or maybe will try with all the related problems we have read about being discussed more..the anonymity thing hard for them, however all the dangers at sea and a people business, it may be too hard to be in early recovery as a crew person, depends on person and situation as always..Sarah

Actually, I don't know anyone in or who needs to be in AA.

My hubby didn't know anybody who needed AA either....until he realized that HE needed it!

The ironic thing is that when he started attending meetings, he learned about several friends and acquaintances who were already AA members and he had NO clue! Most you would've never known unless they flat out told you...

My hubby didn't know anybody who needed AA either....until he realized that HE needed it!

The ironic thing is that when he started attending meetings, he learned about several friends and acquaintances who were already AA members and he had NO clue! Most you would've never known unless they flat out told you...

At risk of being too "butinsky"....apologize in advance, Tricia does not drink at all and sounds like truly is not around alcohol so understand her point of view...

LOL on your first statement and often the case...Sarah

At risk of being too "butinsky"....apologize in advance, Tricia does not drink at all and sounds like truly is not around alcohol so understand her point of view...

LOL on your first statement and often the case...Sarah

Yeah I don't drink, and I tend to gravitate towards people who drink very little or not at all. It's no fun being the only sober person in a bar full of fall down drunks and I don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk. I actually find people who are intoxicated to be obnoxious.

Statistically if I know ten people I should know someone but statistics are just that, statistics. Statistically the fact I've lived in Orlando for 23 years means I should have been the victim of a violent crime twice. I never have. It's just statistics.

Yeah I don't drink, and I tend to gravitate towards people who drink very little or not at all. It's no fun being the only sober person in a bar full of fall down drunks and I don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk. I actually find people who are intoxicated to be obnoxious.

Statistically if I know ten people I should know someone but statistics are just that, statistics. Statistically the fact I've lived in Orlando for 23 years means I should have been the victim of a violent crime twice. I never have. It's just statistics.

Just be your wise and fresh minded self..learn from it all here but don't get jaded..you are a treasure..i am 52 so i can talk a little like the auntie that i am:rolleyes:...keep on cruisin and sharing PLEASE:).

Yeah I don't drink, and I tend to gravitate towards people who drink very little or not at all. It's no fun being the only sober person in a bar full of fall down drunks and I don't enjoy the feeling of being drunk.

Tricia, that's the point I'm trying to make. You don't need to gravitate towards bars or towards people who drink to know someone at AA. They could be your doctor, your pastor, a coworker, or even a good friend. They could be someone who you've known for 10 years and never seen take a sip of alcohol. AA members may be the most sober people you'll ever meet :)

Off topic but sjn I adore the heck out of you. Is that you in the icon? If so you're goooorgeous!

Do you have a fan club? Where can I join? :P

People say I have a sweet face...I do not have a gorgeous face..that is Isabella Rossilini, a bit before your time and on another blog we tend to do that instead of our faces (so when i got help LOL I did it on my interest blogs)..we pick someone we admire and wish we looked like and about the right age... LOL..I have dimples in my smile and that face structure but i am a regular...my dad says none of us got hit with the ugly stick but i am oldest of 4 girls and suffering that middle age crisis times 2..not the prettiest of the 4 and the oldest LOL...sarah

If you want come say hi here..i do not do facebook actively and all that..twitter etc..

We have a silly just chat place here...i'll intoduce you...( try to hear what a smart soul from Wyoming..right next to me..is telling you:))...ok...because there are well ones and not well ones even though sober...

Much love...I adore you too...I can not believe how cute your review was..Sarah

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1217736

Archived