Cruising With Children

Frenzee77

Hello,

My next cruise will be in May 2013. My DS will be 5 and DD will be 3. Right now I am planning on booking a Mini-suite on the NCL Dawn. I was thinking of maybe saving some money and getting an oceanview. My question is: Would it be an absolute nightmare with two young children in a room that small? We want the mini-suite mainly for the balcony so we have a place to hang out while the children are sleeping. The 2 bedroom and balcony Family Suites are just too expensive. We might be able to swing the regular Family Suite for the extra space but then we lose that wall/door between the children and us while we are sleeping. The Suite perks don't matter much to me since we will be traveling with friends that won't be in suites. I'm not going to spend every meal in Cagney's while my friends eat in the Garden Cafe. I know their are other suite perks but I doubt I would use them much. Looking for any tips and advice from other cruisers with small children. Thanks!

All said I would go with the mini suite . It does have the curtain that closes off the fold out from the main part of the room . But the fold out bed is next to the sliding door for the balcony . So you will need to pass through the curtain and the sofa bed to get out there. If they are sound sleepers no big deal and the curtains on the balcony door are super light blocking.

Talk about rambling.

If you cant do the 2 bedroon suite , go with the mini .

( on the stern of tthe ship if possible) ;)

EDIT: by the way we also sailed with our kids at that age . ( now 12/14 )

Your mini suite is 229 inside cabin and your oceanview is 159. I believe your mini suite also has a tub. Plus the balcony. For me, I would go with the mini suite for the above extras.

You speak about a mini-suite and a family suite and perks. Not sure if you know or not. FYI mini suites do not have suite perks.

Thanks for the info. Yes I was rambling quite a bit. I will endeavor to cut that down in any future posts:D.

Good to know about the curtain in the mini-suite. My kids are pretty sound sleepers so that should work.

I was refering to my rambling not yours .

I tend to build clocks when asked what time it is ;)

I am going on a cruise with kids of similar ages (boys - 6 & 3) in a little over a week (12/18 departure) on the Pearl. We decided on the mini-suite because of the balcony, slightly more space, and the tub. I can let you know after we get back how it turned out.

The mini is a good size, and like others mentioned, you have the curtain. Plus the tub. Also, for naps you can always stick the kids in the main bed, and then have access to sitting out on your balcony.

We cruised with our kids when they were 3 and 4 on the Pearl to Alaska last year and had a blast. NCL's freestyle approach works great with kids. We were on the Dawn 6 months later (They were 3 and 5) and had a great time then too- 9 night Southern Caribbean. The Dawn has a great kids pool aft, and a kids buffet area of the main buffet that is wonderful- kids favorites with smaller chairs and tables, and the buffet is set to their height. I parked my kids there while I went and got adult food from the main buffet.

Everyone else has said it all and I agree. The Dawn is the best ship for the kids. The kids pools are so much fun and have the best views on the ship. The kids buffet area is fenced off so others recognize it is for the kids and for the most part stay out.

The mini suite is great with the tub.

It is also a really fun kids club area.

Have a great time we just got home and everyday my kids ask if we can go back.

Our first family cruise was on the Sun in a balcony, the boys were 5.5 and 3 yrs respectively. The balcony was a godsend. Our oldest never naps at home, but by the middle of the trip he was taking a mid-afternoon snooze too ;) DH and I spent many an afternoon on the balcony, and a wonderful evening watching our captain pass all the other ships racing for Florida!

I'm sure it can be done in an oceanview or inside cabin, but the balcony makes for a much nicer experience. We also loved running outside in our pjs to see the ship pulling into port.

ITA that a full suite is a bit much, we don't spend a lot of time in our cabin so it isn't worth the extra money for us. Plus with airfare being more than the value of the cruise, we like being comfortable but not spoiled in our cabin, KWIM?

We are new to NCL but our kids started cruising at your kids ages and they love it, more than anything. We love it to cause with the kids clubs we get more adult time on a cruise than any other vacation.

We are booked on the Epic Nov 2012 in a Family Mini Suite. I like the loction of the cabins and the balcony. They give you a little extra space but keep in mind they are still not large by any means.

Stop by the boards that have tips for cruising with children. There are many who do it on a regular basis with so many great ideas. Enjoy your cruise!

We are waiting for our youngest to be old enough to go to kids club sometimes. He is 15 months so we are about there!

Archived