Need more info on Travel between St. Thomas and Water Island

Buffalofirsttimer4

So, I guess my lesson to share is to make sure you know the departure time, and to allow atleast 30 minutes for a taxi to leave and get you there.

Yes - I just returned to Water Island last week. and the real problem is getting a taxi to Crown Bay Marina (where you get on the Ferry). I'd say assume it will take an hour from Havensight to Crown Bay Marina.

Our ship (the MSC Poesia) docked at Havensight - I was disappointed because I thought we were going to dock nearer Crown Bay Marina (Crown Port?). Anyway - it took nearly an hour to get a taxi from Havensight to CrownBayMarina as the taxis are all trying to get groups to go to more popular places like Megan's Beach.

I took a while for the dispatcher to call us a taxi and then the driver was on "Island time" - We arrived at Crown Bay Marina and had to run to make the ferry. Everyone is on island time except the ferry captain; the ferry always leaves at its scheduled time.

If I had to do it over again, and I knew I was arriving at Havensight, I'd take one of the excursions (either Bones or KonTiki). The ferry is too risky - if you miss the ferry, you have to wait 90 minutes.

We rented bikes on the island from Water Island Adventures. note, parts of the island can be hilly. There weren't enough people for a tour, so we just rode on our own.

After biking, we spent a few hours on the beach. Heidi's grill and Joe's were both open on a weekday -there were restrooms/changing facilities behind/near Joe's. There was a wedding on the beach at Joe's.

Bones and Kon-Tiki arrived around !2:30(I think), and stayed about 1:45 or 2 hours. Even with these excursions and the wedding, there was less than 100 people on the beach. and when the boats left, there was about 20 people on the beach.

We left on the 3:30 ferry - there was a taxi waiting in the parking lot at crown bay Marina - so we had no trouble getting back to Havensight.

The beach is beautiful.

it took a while for the dispatcher to call us a taxi and then the driver was on "island time" - we arrived at crown bay marina and had to run to make the ferry. Everyone is on island time except the ferry captain; the ferry always leaves at its scheduled time.

lol!

That was very good advice. Thank you for posting your experience.

Depending on the number of people in your party, how many ships are in port and where, you might be able to make a taxi reservation in advance.

Sounds like you had a great time, though, in spite of island-time taxi dispatches!

Archived