Shopping in Fortaleza

Fattony

A recent post, which I can't locate now, asked about shopping on one's own. The large Mercado Central was, of course, mentioned. I did remember that there was a slightly nicer, and smaller, "mercado" nearby where, at least when we went, one could get somewhat better lace and other products but I couldn't remember the name. Just found it: Emcetur, at Rua Senator Pompeu 350, in the Centro. Not far from the Mercado Central, but I wouldn't walk it. Any taxi driver would know it. The market is primarily in what was a jail building built in the 19th century. If all you want are knick-knacks, t-shirts, etc., the Mercado Central is just fine (and it does have some nice stuff, as well, but if you are looking for, and willing to pay for, slightly better stuff, I think the Emcetur place is a bit better. I think some shore tours will go to the Mercado Central, but I think you'd have to get to the Emcetur on your own (by taxi, not walking).

Just to add to your great (as usual) info, hours there are:

Monday through Friday 8am to 6pm

Saturday 8am to noon

about 100 small craft stalls and 2 small museums

Video/Photos:

http://mais.uol.com.br/view/1bt37x0hto2e/fortaleza-um-passeio-pela-emcetur-[wwwroteirocearacombr]-04023568C0A95326?types=A

http://fortalezaemfotos.blogspot.com/2010/08/centro-de-turismo-do-ceara-emcetur.html

Archived