No visa required if you stay on board?

corea

Hello, everyone! I am new here and very confused reading those two threads below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1527992&page=3

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1527992

Last night I read leoparana's post and was worried about being kicked out since I had few doubts about entering Tunisia with my passport expiring in five months. I called the Tunisia embassy and they told me I would be fine(still I have some doubts) Reading PC168's I have a question to ask out of curiosity. if by any chance I am not able to enter Tunisia, can I just stay on board?

It's my first cruise experience, so have no idea about everything. Thank you!!!

I've been on a cruise 3 times that called at Tunisia and each time I want.ed to stay onboard, so dint need a visa. those that wanted to go ashore had to queue up with their passports and form MSC provided to get a visa to go ashore I have a UK passport so that worked for me. May be different for other nationalities.

A lot of countries require you to have at least 6 months remaining on your passport. Tunisia may not be your only country you need to worry about.

When it comes to something as important as visas and travel requirements or restrictions, the only reliable place to get information is from the consulates of the countries you intend visiting. Telling local Immigration authorities that someone on a cruise forum told you it would not be a problem is not going to work. You may need to get your passport extended before you leave.

I've been on a cruise 3 times that called at Tunisia and each time I want.ed to stay onboard, so dint need a visa. those that wanted to go ashore had to queue up with their passports and form MSC provided to get a visa to go ashore I have a UK passport so that worked for me. May be different for other nationalities.

A lot of countries require you to have at least 6 months remaining on your passport. Tunisia may not be your only country you need to worry about.

When it comes to something as important as visas and travel requirements or restrictions, the only reliable place to get information is from the consulates of the countries you intend visiting. Telling local Immigration authorities that someone on a cruise forum told you it would not be a problem is not going to work. You may need to get your passport extended before you leave.

Thank you!!! Yes, you are absolutely right about calling the consulates. In fact, today I did call them, and they told me that as Korean passport holder, all I need is a passport that is valid for the duration of the stay.

I do really really want to extend my passport but I can't right now because of few problems:(

As long as I will not be forced to aboard the ship, I am ok with staying aboard.

Different countries have different immigration rules. Some you can enter from a cruise ship with no formalities whatsoever, some require only a form filled out and stamped by the cruise line, others you have to have a passport and some a visa as well. Some countries won't even let a cruise ship enter its territorial waters without a check of the manifest to ensure everyone aboard is in compliance. Then there's the question of the national origin of the passenger - what passport will you be carrying?

It's a very complicated subject and as Amomondo said, the best thing is to check the consulates of each country the ship will be visiting, either doing the check yourself or having your travel agent do it for you. Most cruise lines won't let you embark on a cruise if your documents are not in perfect order, and are very specific that it's the passenger's responsibility to ensure all is in order.

Different countries have different immigration rules. Some you can enter from a cruise ship with no formalities whatsoever, some require only a form filled out and stamped by the cruise line, others you have to have a passport and some a visa as well. Some countries won't even let a cruise ship enter its territorial waters without a check of the manifest to ensure everyone aboard is in compliance. Then there's the question of the national origin of the passenger - what passport will you be carrying?

It's a very complicated subject and as Amomondo said, the best thing is to check the consulates of each country the ship will be visiting, either doing the check yourself or having your travel agent do it for you. Most cruise lines won't let you embark on a cruise if your documents are not in perfect order, and are very specific that it's the passenger's responsibility to ensure all is in order.

Thank you!!! I am going to call consulates next week, again.

Hello, everyone! I am new here and very confused reading those two threads below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1527992&page=3

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1527992

Last night I read leoparana's post and was worried about being kicked out since I had few doubts about entering Tunisia with my passport expiring in five months. I called the Tunisia embassy and they told me I would be fine(still I have some doubts) Reading PC168's I have a question to ask out of curiosity. if by any chance I am not able to enter Tunisia, can I just stay on board?

It's my first cruise experience, so have no idea about everything. Thank you!!!

You would do well to ask your Cruise Co whether you will need a visa to board the ship and go on the cruise. Or your travel agent. Especially if you are cruising with MSC. The Cruise Co may not care that it's your intention not to go ashore at the port in question. If you would need a visa to go ashore the fact that you don't intend to do so may not be determinative.

Thank you!!! Yes, you are absolutely right about calling the consulates. In fact, today I did call them, and they told me that as Korean passport holder, all I need is a passport that is valid for the duration of the stay.

I do really really want to extend my passport but I can't right now because of few problems:(

As long as I will not be forced to aboard the ship, I am ok with staying aboard.

Corea: I hope you are in luck ! I called the Consulate of Brazil in Miami, in a situation such as yours, and was given information indicating my documents were OK. Later on they provided me with the same information in writing, the letter signed by the Consul in Miami. I was OK to board the MSC ship, but then I was thrown out in Casablanca. All I can tell you is to be very careful on the issue, and count on your luck as far as what the MSC Staff will decide once you have boarded. Best regards !!

You would do well to ask your Cruise Co whether you will need a visa to board the ship and go on the cruise. Or your travel agent. Especially if you are cruising with MSC. The Cruise Co may not care that it's your intention not to go ashore at the port in question. If you would need a visa to go ashore the fact that you don't intend to do so may not be determinative.

Thank you!!! I don't need a visa for sure, just the problem is my passport :(

Corea: I hope you are in luck ! I called the Consulate of Brazil in Miami, in a situation such as yours, and was given information indicating my documents were OK. Later on they provided me with the same information in writing, the letter signed by the Consul in Miami. I was OK to board the MSC ship, but then I was thrown out in Casablanca. All I can tell you is to be very careful on the issue, and count on your luck as far as what the MSC Staff will decide once you have boarded. Best regards !!

Sorry to here what happened to you. Did you have written documents from the Consul at the time you had to abandon the ship? My TA called the MSC and they talled six months passport validity rule is for the countries, not for cruise. I called the Tunisa embassy in Madrid, Spain TWICE, and they talled me they don't require such rule. They also told me even the passport expire during the curise, you can still enjoy Tunisa...I don't know who to trust now.

Sorry to here what happened to you. Did you have written documents from the Consul at the time you had to abandon the ship? My TA called the MSC and they talled six months passport validity rule is for the countries, not for cruise. I called the Tunisa embassy in Madrid, Spain TWICE, and they talled me they don't require such rule. They also told me even the passport expire during the curise, you can still enjoy Tunisa...I don't know who to trust now.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/tunisia#entryRequirements

From what you post and what the UK travel advisory indicates shows us that embassies do make mistakes.

6 months is needed.

If I remember correctly on my cruise in September it was confirmed that 6 months is needed.

I have to say I'd be very nervous about attempting tom travel with a passport having less than 6 months remaining. I'm a UK passport holder And only need my passport to be valid for the period I'm intendingnstaying in other EU countries like Spain and Italy, but for non EU countries I nearly always have to have at least 6 months remaining. Can't see the rules being different for a Korean passport holder.

If the country you are going to be arriving in and all the others you pass through have confirmed your expiry date is not an issue, then you'll just have to accept that and hope for the best. It's a shame that you can't renew before you gomand get rid of the risk of something going wrong altogether.

The MSC Terms and Conditions, section "Passports and Visas," says that passports must have a validity NOT LESS THAN SIX MONTHS. Corea would do well to have her passport renewed or extended by her embassy. Otherwise she runs the risk of being denied boarding the ship.

In this case, even though the country(ies) to be visited have no problem with a passport expiring in five months, she still could be denied boarding. This is something her TA needs to thoroughly check out with MSC.

The MSC Terms and Conditions, section "Passports and Visas," says that passports must have a validity NOT LESS THAN SIX MONTHS. Corea would do well to have her passport renewed or extended by her embassy. Otherwise she runs the risk of being denied boarding the ship.

In this case, even though the country(ies) to be visited have no problem with a passport expiring in five months, she still could be denied boarding. This is something her TA needs to thoroughly check out with MSC.

Good post.......we all tend to forget that a cruise includes a contract of passage with terms and conditions.

I have actually taken the time the enter the expiration dates of all my families passports, drivers licences and other permits into my gmail calendar, with reminders set, for years in advance so I can renew them so I won't have any expiration issues.

Anal, I know, but an ounce of prevention....

I just hope I'm still using Gmail 10 years from now!:p

Thank you for all of your answers and advice. I am new here and this is my first question to raise.

In the beginning, I wanted to know that whether I need visa or not if I stay on board.

(1) What country's passport do you carry? I am a South Korean passport holder.

(2) What countries will your cruise be stopping at? ITALY, SPAIN, MALTA, TUNISIA, FRANCE.

I don't require visa to any of these countries. I called the Malta and Tunisia embassies in Madrid, Spain and they told me that I will have no problem with my passport. Of course, I told them I have a South Korean passport.

Before I booked the cruise, my TA had called the MSC and asked about the passport validity. The answer was that until few years ago they insisted it, but not anymore. My TA told me that the cruise company has nth to do with the passport.

Is there any chance my TA is wrong?

I have to say I'd be very nervous about attempting tom travel with a passport having less than 6 months remaining. I'm a UK passport holder And only need my passport to be valid for the period I'm intendingnstaying in other EU countries like Spain and Italy, but for non EU countries I nearly always have to have at least 6 months remaining. Can't see the rules being different for a Korean passport holder.

If the country you are going to be arriving in and all the others you pass through have confirmed your expiry date is not an issue, then you'll just have to accept that and hope for the best. It's a shame that you can't renew before you gomand get rid of the risk of something going wrong altogether.

Yes, hope for the best.

Holding thumbs for you,but if I remember correctly unless you disembark your passport is irrelevant............how you going to getbin the eu with only 5 months left on your Korean passport????

Thank you. Umm...I have Spanish student visa.

• 7 years later...

I've attempted to find the answer through numerous sources on the internet but can't find a definitive answer. I'll be on a cruise next year that stops in Nansha/Guangzhou, China for one day then Hong Kong for two days. As I understand it I won't need a visa for Hong Kong as I have a British passport and if I leave the ship at Guangzhou I don;t think I qualify for one of the 144 hour or 72 hour visas since I'm not entering from Hong Kong so I would expect to need to apply for a visa. I just want to know whether or not I need a visa in Guangzhou if I don't leave the cruise ship? I'd appreciate any help or guidance.