Pack your suit for Voyager out of NOLA formal nights

Hi,

Our overall cruise experience was one of our best on RCL. We were boarding the ship 55 minutes after driving into the terminal via taxi. All staff were friendly and helpful. They were doing everything humanly possible to move things along fast. Debarkation was just as simple. An hour after entering the Diamond waiting area we pulled into the parking lot at the Doubletree Hotel in Kenner to get a shuttle to the airport. (9am) That is hard to beat at any port! So, IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the cruise terminal at NOLA.

We had probably the best waiter and asst. waiter we've ever had. Cristian and Roxanne were very professional, friendly and helpful. The food was always hot and tasty, except for our one visit to Portifino when our food was just luke warm, served very late after our salads and without the same freindliness as the MDR. (After our Head Waiter asked about our Portifino experience and we explained, each cabn received a personal call from Portifino's manager and a bottle wine and a fruit basket.) We've never had a head waiter take charge and resolve a problem for us like this before! The windjammer food was always hot and mostly tasty. We had a couple days we didn't find much that we cared for so one day we went to Johnny Rockets and the other day we did big salads. This could simply be a case of personal preferences and others could have loved the food choices on those days so please don't take this as a complaint.

The ports are all enjoyable. We did the Dreamer Catamaran snorkeling sailing in Jamaica which we all loved. We were on this cruise with my wife's sister and husband but had also taken this excursion during our Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty with our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandsons. We loved it so much we went back again! Even if you don't snorkel, the ride, open bar, snacks and friendly staff make for a great day. In Cozumel we just walked around - we've been there many times before. And in Grand Cayman we didn't even get off the ship. (We enjoy playing king of the mountain when everyone is off the ship and we have it all to ourselves.) It was a tender day and, again, the 4 of us had been there several times before. If you haven't been, take the bus ride to Hell and back, visit one of the local beaches or just walk the downtown area.

The ship is in excellent condition and we remarked several times how much we enjoy that size ship. It's large enough that there is lots to do but not so large that it's an effort to get from one end to the other.

Entertainment was super!

If you have any more questions just ask... I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

Merle

Merle......thanks for taking the time to report back on your cruise. It sounds like you all had a wonderful time!! It is good to hear such positive statements about your Voyager experience.....we are Diamond also but our last several cruises have been on Celebrity (which we love too). Since we live in NW Louisiana we could not pass up the chance to cruise out of NO......you have put my mind at ease about making that decision.

Thanks again!

Linda

Thanks for all the updates. Not bringing formal clothes but plan on the WJ for those nights so its all good!!!

Ahh.. don't do that! Just go enjoy. Formal is in the eyes of the beholder! I saw a gal at the next table in a sparkly top, those pants that go below the knee but not down to the ankle (I know they have a name!), and little dance shoes. She fit right in with everyone else! No one cares as long as you don't wear your jeans, shorts or wife-beaters those nights!

But what's the deal with 5:30 MDR dinner time? When we asked about it they said it because they were sailing out of NOLA. Do people in NO eat dinner earlier or something? (Just wondering.)

Merle

Ahh.. don't do that! Just go enjoy. Formal is in the eyes of the beholder! I saw a gal at the next table in a sparkly top, those pants that go below the knee but not down to the ankle (I know they have a name!), and little dance shoes. She fit right in with everyone else! No one cares as long as you don't wear your jeans, shorts or wife-beaters those nights!

But what's the deal with 5:30 MDR dinner time? When we asked about it they said it because they were sailing out of NOLA. Do people in NO eat dinner earlier or something? (Just wondering.)

Merle

LOL-they are called Capri pants and I have those!!!!

5:30 was too early but 8 or after is to late for the youngins' to eat!!!;)

Not getting that either but thank god for the late night promenade snacks!!

LOL-they are called Capri pants and I have those!!!!

5:30 was too early but 8 or after is to late for the youngins' to eat!!!;)

Not getting that either but thank god for the late night promenade snacks!!

Yes! That's right!!! Capri pants. A pair of those and any top that isn't a t-shirt and you'll be good to go. We heard a lot of complaints about the 8 seating but no one seemed to mind the 5:30 seating. I called it the "early bird special." The early dining is perfect for late promenade snacks though, you are right about that. All the usual little ham and cheese, egg salad, creamed cheese, etc. sandwiches but some of the best desserts we've ever seen on RCL cruises! Little cups of tiramisu, various puddings, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, lemon dessert and many more. You are going to love the choices if you are a snacker!

The early dining is perfect for late promenade snacks though, you are right about that. All the usual little ham and cheese, egg salad, creamed cheese, etc. sandwiches but some of the best desserts we've ever seen on RCL cruises! Little cups of tiramisu, various puddings, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, lemon dessert and many more. You are going to love the choices if you are a snacker!

now you've made me........ wait for it..............hungry!!:D

Yup- will not be all that hungry at 5:30 but will be a late night staple snacking on all those yummies you have described.;)

Shake your head and wonder what? Why are they enjoying their vacation the way that they want to? Not everyone enjoys dressing up. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Pretty simple. Now, I don't wear shorts or t-shirts or ballcaps to the dining room, but I certainly don't care what someone else is wearing. It doesn't spoil my dinner experience......
Never affects my dining experience, in fact enhances it!! When our group see's anyone walking into the MDR dressed in t-shirts, shorts and ballcaps we find it hilarious! Theres dressing up and theres casual attire then theres ignorance....t-shirts, ballcaps etc. are not appropriate attire in the MDR, thank you....enjoy cruising...K.O. near Philly;)

on this thread..

OP did not say you had to, or that those that did not, or anything to that extent.

OP said it looked great...If ya wanna wear your barn clothes on Formal night, be my guest, but because someone posts a thread about how great those evening were, it is not an open invitation to start the "it's my cruise and I will wear what I want" rant all over again.

Thank you sir well said, don't hate me but the barn clothes comment was funny I don't care who you are! Certain attire for certain venues, common sense...enjoy your cruises....K.O. near Philly;)

I agree with some that it does not matter what others wear to dinner if it is acceptable attire. Obviously jeans and tshirts are not acceptable. However, I hate wearing a tie when I eat. Buttoning the top button of my shirt and wearing a tie is so aweful! I feel like i am being strangled and every time I swallow it is very restrictive. I end up loosening up my tie, unbuttoning the top button and look worse than if I didn't wear a tie at all. If anyone likes to wear a tie they are crazy. Women, try it sometime and you may agree. Dress pants and dress shirts for me, thank you. I am sure I will get all kinds of abuse for my comments. But is your dinner going to be ruined if I wear a nice pair of pants and dress shirt. Is it that repulsive you will lose your appetite or request a different area to sit. There are so many other things in this world to worry about than what someone wears to dinner. Of the three floors in the dining room how many people are going to actually see me anyway?

I agree with some that it does not matter what others wear to dinner if it is acceptable attire. Obviously jeans and tshirts are not acceptable. However, I hate wearing a tie when I eat. Buttoning the top button of my shirt and wearing a tie is so aweful! I feel like i am being strangled and every time I swallow it is very restrictive. I end up loosening up my tie, unbuttoning the top button and look worse than if I didn't wear a tie at all. If anyone likes to wear a tie they are crazy. Women, try it sometime and you may agree. Dress pants and dress shirts for me, thank you. I am sure I will get all kinds of abuse for my comments. But is your dinner going to be ruined if I wear a nice pair of pants and dress shirt. Is it that repulsive you will lose your appetite or request a different area to sit. There are so many other things in this world to worry about than what someone wears to dinner. Of the three floors in the dining room how many people are going to actually see me anyway?

Dress shirt and pants are fine. Anyone who would have a problem with that is not worth a second thought.

Never affects my dining experience, in fact enhances it!! When our group see's anyone walking into the MDR dressed in t-shirts, shorts and ballcaps we find it hilarious! Theres dressing up and theres casual attire then theres ignorance....t-shirts, ballcaps etc. are not appropriate attire in the MDR, thank you....enjoy cruising...K.O. near Philly;)

I'm glad us casual dressers could provide you with some enjoyable entertainment during dinner. :cool:

[/quote So are you saying that in your opinion t-shirts, ballcaps and shorts are acceptable in the MDR???????:confused:

Although I don't carry it to those extremes it doesn't bother me if others care to dress that way. I simply don't look at it and it doesn't affect the quality of my meal in the slightest.

Archived