Navigator review w/pics 12/4/11

bobmal99

Here are a couple of GS balcony pictures.

This balcony is double the size of a normal

balcony..

Hope this helps.

100_2152-1.jpg\

100_2153-1.jpg

We just got back from cruise on Adventure and are considering the Navigator next also in a GS. I have heard that the balconies are different between the AOS and NOS. Do you have any pictures of the balcony you can share?

We just got back from cruise on Adventure and are considering the Navigator next also in a GS. I have heard that the balconies are different between the AOS and NOS. Do you have any pictures of the balcony you can share?

I was on Adventure last month and on Navigator for this same cruise - both times in a GS. If you like the GS on Adventure, you will LOVE it on Navigator. Navigator GS is larger with WAY better storage. Adventure balconies are closed in with solid metal at the side and the bottom below the railing. Navigator is the clear plexi-glass (or whatever that clear material is) so you can see with a full view from you balcony.

If I go on Adventure again I will book a JS since they are better than any other ship's JS I've been in. The JS on Adventure has far more storage than the GS. The Adventure GS is the first I've been in that didn't have the storage shelves at the curved end of the bar among other differences.

Gina

Some more pictures of the Navigator..

This is Schooners, the piano bar..

Notice the crowd, or lack thereof..

He was really a pretty bad entertainer..

100_2239.jpg

100_2193.jpg

I am surprised at how congested the

cascino is on a ship as big as the Navigator.

100_2176.jpg

100_2175.jpg

Thank you so much for the balcony pics. I actually thought the NOS balcony with the glass between balconies would be a minus but as mommabean points out, the view is better without the higher solid metal below the railing.

We spend a lot of time on the balcony so it is very important. We kind of liked the solid walls on the AOS as it drowned out some noise and also any smoke filtering down the line. How was it with the glass partitions?

I agree the AOS GS storage is hurting especially compared to the AOS JS which is where we were on our previous AOS cruise although the size of the room outweighs the lack of storage.

Having sailed from PR twice now, it is time for a change and New Orleans seems like a great alternative. Any comments on Embarking and Disembarking? We would probably go a few days ahead just to enjoy the town. We've been on the same itinerary before and would be our first time duplicating but still plenty to see and do I am sure.

mein18,

I wrote about embarkation & debarkation,

in my first few posts, check them out.

I will post more pictures of the navigator

later tonight..

Thank you so much for the balcony pics. I actually thought the NOS balcony with the glass between balconies would be a minus but as mommabean points out, the view is better without the higher solid metal below the railing.

We spend a lot of time on the balcony so it is very important. We kind of liked the solid walls on the AOS as it drowned out some noise and also any smoke filtering down the line. How was it with the glass partitions?

I agree the AOS GS storage is hurting especially compared to the AOS JS which is where we were on our previous AOS cruise although the size of the room outweighs the lack of storage.

Having sailed from PR twice now, it is time for a change and New Orleans seems like a great alternative. Any comments on Embarking and Disembarking? We would probably go a few days ahead just to enjoy the town. We've been on the same itinerary before and would be our first time duplicating but still plenty to see and do I am sure.

micdee,

I also booked the Navigator because of

the great price. The last couple of weeks

before this cruise prices were going crazy.

Up one day, down the next. Ended up

with my GS, for $1,785, + tax & Insurance.

Will probably "never" see that price again.

Got a military & senior price break also..

I have found that you get some of the

best prices of the year, the first two

weeks in December.. Have gone on a few

cruise in early December.

Looking foward to the rest of your review. Thanks for taking the time to post with photos, I personaly know how time consuming this is;).

I have to agree with your comparisons between RC and Carnival. The food is better and the comedy shows are a great nightly addition on Carnival. We recently sailed the Pride to Bermuda, and I must admit, it had to be the ugliest ship I've been on. Except for that, everything else was great.

RC does have beautiful ships, but the only reason I booked our upcoming Navigator cruise was because of the great price I got.

mein18,

I wrote about embarkation & debarkation,

in my first few posts, check them out.

I will post more pictures of the navigator

later tonight..

Thank you. Looking forward to them. I think you and couple others have convinced us already and sure will be nice spending couple days in NO prior. We love San Juan and AOS but are in need of a change.

I will be sailing solo on this ship 01/15/12 and am really looking forward to it. Your review is great. Too bad about the entertainment though. My last cruise 10 years ago on Holland America also was lacking in later night entertainment, something I look forward to as I am a night owl. I have cruised NCL and really liked their full slate of entertainment choices.

Also have seen notes regarding the hit/miss aspect of the food, but I must say the pic of your prime rib & lobster made my stomach growl.

I am sure I will thoroughly enjoy myself. I don't cruise looking for things to go wrong, but for the sheer enjoyment of it all. After all, it will be the middle of January and I will be on a wonderful cruise ship in the Caribbean and not shoveling snow in one of the coldest national capital cities in the world.

BTW - in your opinion, any 'must try/do' excursions to consider?

Thanks again. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

As far as excursions, what islands are

you going to??

I will be sailing solo on this ship 01/15/12 and am really looking forward to it. Your review is great. Too bad about the entertainment though. My last cruise 10 years ago on Holland America also was lacking in later night entertainment, something I look forward to as I am a night owl. I have cruised NCL and really liked their full slate of entertainment choices.

Also have seen notes regarding the hit/miss aspect of the food, but I must say the pic of your prime rib & lobster made my stomach growl.

I am sure I will thoroughly enjoy myself. I don't cruise looking for things to go wrong, but for the sheer enjoyment of it all. After all, it will be the middle of January and I will be on a wonderful cruise ship in the Caribbean and not shoveling snow in one of the coldest national capital cities in the world.

BTW - in your opinion, any 'must try/do' excursions to consider?

Thanks again. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cozumel, Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica & Labadee. Have been to Cozumel before, and did a catamaran & snorkel there and had fun. Open to most anything. Plan on zip line in Labadee & snorkel with stingrays in Cayman.

BBT,

Here is something you, may really like.

I did this last year, and I am thinking

of doing it again this year.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c...Waverunner.htm

Or anyone looking for something to do in the Cayman's.

Also check out page #10 of this thread.

Gives more information on this excursion..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362543&page=10

Cozumel, Cayman, Falmouth Jamaica & Labadee. Have been to Cozumel before, and did a catamaran & snorkel there and had fun. Open to most anything. Plan on zip line in Labadee & snorkel with stingrays in Cayman.

Thanks for posting the review, bobmal99! It brings back memories to see the ship! I don't know how you were so lucky as to have such calm-looking water on Grand Cayman...we took a snorkel/stingray tour with Captain Marvin and darn near got drowned trying to snorkel amongst the whitecaps. I heard later boats turned back so you must have gotten out earlier.

Anyway, that was my first RCL cruise and I agree--I was generally impressed with the ship. Personally, I preferred the design and decor over the Carnival and NCL ships I have been on and am amazed at how RCL manages to keep so many passengers onboard without making you feel like you are one of 3,000. I thought the food was the best of the cruises I have taken and I could not fault the service I received from anyone. I would definitely go with RCL again if the price, itinerary, and timing appeal.

BBT,

Here is something you, may really like.

I did this last year, and I am thinking

of doing it again this year.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.c...Waverunner.htm

Or anyone looking for something to do in the Cayman's.

Also check out page #10 of this thread.

Gives more information on this excursion..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362543&page=10

Really looking at getting in on this excursion, but may have left it too late, given the number of ships that will be in port that day.

In any event, I have what may be something of a stupid question: What do we do with things like wallets, valuables & cameras when taking this excursion, or one like it (catamaran for example)? They'll get wet on the waverunner.

Archived