Carrying soda on board, but beer?? It's been done.

surrocruiser

Correct.

I have in the past year carried on beer, in my carry on and gotten thru the scanners, It was only 1 beer, but after travelling for 4 hours to the pier and being shown to my room, it was a great surprise to get it thru. Unlike my cruise of 6 years ago, my brother in law and I went to the package store and bought 2 cases of beer and a case of wine and had the porters deliver them to our cabins. They, then kept our collapsible coolers full of ice for the entire cruise. Cruising has changed, as has the alcohol policy, don't get greedy and you may not end up in the naughty room. It is still more convenient to just order the drink on board than to run back to the room for another refill on your beverage of choice. Llimited budget, order the bucket or buy the drink card, go to the same bartender after tipping them in cash $5 the first day. Especially if you buy the drink of the day and have the same person waiting on you. You will spend much less money than drinking in different venues with different bartenders. Go to the shows, sit in the same area, have the same server you tipped 4 days previous, you'll get a lot more for your money. A corkage fee will be paid for any bottle of wine/ champagne you bring on board. It doesn't matter where you drink it, on deck, restaurant or in your room.

I have in the past year carried on beer, in my carry on and gotten thru the scanners, It was only 1 beer, but after travelling for 4 hours to the pier and being shown to my room, it was a great surprise to get it thru. Unlike my cruise of 6 years ago, my brother in law and I went to the package store and bought 2 cases of beer and a case of wine and had the porters deliver them to our cabins. They, then kept our collapsible coolers full of ice for the entire cruise. Cruising has changed, as has the alcohol policy, don't get greedy and you may not end up in the naughty room. It is still more convenient to just order the drink on board than to run back to the room for another refill on your beverage of choice. Llimited budget, order the bucket or buy the drink card, go to the same bartender after tipping them in cash $5 the first day. Especially if you buy the drink of the day and have the same person waiting on you. You will spend much less money than drinking in different venues with different bartenders. Go to the shows, sit in the same area, have the same server you tipped 4 days previous, you'll get a lot more for your money. A corkage fee will be paid for any bottle of wine/ champagne you bring on board. It doesn't matter where you drink it, on deck, restaurant or in your room.

You're saying that a $5 tip got you free drinks?

If you put the wine in your luggage how do they collect this fee to you pre declare or what?

If you carry on and it is detected, you will be the corkage fee after detection. If you put in your checked bags and detected, you will get a letter in your room telling you that alcohol has been detected and you must come to the "Naughty Room."

With you present, they will open up your luggage and ask if you want to pay the corkage fee or shall they hold the wine for you until disembarkation.

If you want your wine, you will pay the $15 per 750ml bottle (charged to your shipboard account). A "Corkage Paid" sticker will be affixed to your bottle.

When taking to a bar or restaurant, your server will doublecheck to make sure you paid the corkage. If not, you will be charged then.

If you pay the corkage and you do not drink the wine during the cruise, you may go visit Guest Services and the fees will be reversed. Some have said they had their concierge take care of this also when they were in a suite.

I will be on the Dawn Feb 15th....it stops at Dominica and the beer there Kubali is excellent and you cannot get it anywhere else....I don't understand why you can bring back a few bottles for your balcony.I would even pay a fee for the privilege!!:):):)

Have not done NCL in years. Last couple have been on princess or carnival where they really don't care if you check wine in as long as its in your checked bags. What are my chances of geting caught with bottels of wine or will I be better off using box wine?

Usuall carry a six pack cooler with me on cruise and while at ports load it full of local beer. Have never had this cooler searched.

Have not done NCL in years. Last couple have been on princess or carnival where they really don't care if you check wine in as long as its in your checked bags. What are my chances of geting caught with bottels of wine or will I be better off using box wine?

Usuall carry a six pack cooler with me on cruise and while at ports load it full of local beer. Have never had this cooler searched.

Times have changed. NCL is consedered the most diligent in detecting smuggler's contraband. I have no real idea of the likelihood of you geting caught with bottels of wine. They are pretty good at detecting things.

They can also spot boxes of wine.

Enquiring minds needs to know.:rolleyes: What do you suppose NCL or any other ship does with the confiscated liquor, beer or wine. Do you suppose the staff (hired help) get to have a BIG party with it, or is it actually poured down the drain.:eek:

Neither, it's given back to you at the end of the cruise. Unless it's in an opened container and then it's tossed.

I was surprised---when we were on St Maarten we purchased a bottle of Liqour on the island. We walked back on to the ship (Epic), it was in full view, put on the scanner, and took it right up to our room. I expected that they would confiscate/hold it til the end of the cruise.

• 3 months later...

"One nice thing about buying a bucket of beer (pay for 5 and get 6) you can mix the types of beer. It gives you the ability to try different beers if you choose."

Anyone have the recent Bucket 'O Beer cost? Does NCL really charge a deposit for the bucket. Thanks -

"One nice thing about buying a bucket of beer (pay for 5 and get 6) you can mix the types of beer. It gives you the ability to try different beers if you choose."

Anyone have the recent Bucket 'O Beer cost? Does NCL really charge a deposit for the bucket. Thanks -

Just got back from a cruise on the Dawn (March 18 - 28). A bucket (6 bottles of Corrona was $28.46 with gratituty). A mixed bucket of Coors Light and Bud Light was $31.63 including gratituty (bigger cans). That being said, we found out later from fellow Canadian cruisers, who said that they were told by other cruisers that in each port you could bring 6 beers back, per adult and they would NOT confiscate them from you. We found this out the night before our last port. So we gave it a try in St. Kitts and bought only 6 BOTTLES of Corrona's. Placed them on the scanner (they were in a six pack and inside a dark plastic bag) went through the scanner and were given them to take to our room. No problem. The 6 pack in St. Kitts cost $21.00. Not really a great savings. But it did work. Kept them in our fridge until the next day when I ask for an empty bucket and some ice, which the bartender gladly supplied. After St. Kitts we were at sea for 2 more days. We still bought a couple more buckets after these were gone. So, it can and is being done.;)

Times have changed. NCL is consedered the most diligent in detecting smuggler's contraband. I have no real idea of the likelihood of you geting caught with bottels of wine. They are pretty good at detecting things.

They can also spot boxes of wine.

Interesting, this is the first I've heard that NCL makes it more difficult than other cruise lines to carry on liquor. I'd love to hear more about this. Have any others had worse experiences with NCL than, say, Carnival or RCI? In what ways is NCL more diligent?

We're planning an NCL cruise but if we can't reasonably expect to bring liquor on board we may reconsider. We probably drink more than average and for us the cost of a cruise isn't worth it if we have to pay bar prices for every drink on top of the fare. Two people could easily run up a $1,000+ bar tab in a week.

Interesting, this is the first I've heard that NCL makes it more difficult than other cruise lines to carry on liquor. I'd love to hear more about this. Have any others had worse experiences with NCL than, say, Carnival or RCI? In what ways is NCL more diligent?

We're planning an NCL cruise but if we can't reasonably expect to bring liquor on board we may reconsider. We probably drink more than average and for us the cost of a cruise isn't worth it if we have to pay bar prices for every drink on top of the fare. Two people could easily run up a $1,000+ bar tab in a week.

NCL takes it very seriously. They xray all luggage and will call you to the "Naughty Room" if anything even looks suspicious.

You can, however get a bar set up and order a bottle of what you want to the room, this bottle will cost between $70-$100, but is legal.

If you don't have the budget for a bar set up or drinks, you may be trying the wrong line, as they are very meticulous.

• 1 year later...