Westerdam Review 12/4 Cruise

Jab5549

Just got back from a week on the Westerdam. My first impression was that the ship looked old and in need of repair. The navy blue hull was faded and rust showed every where. We were taken to our cabin and my wife and I looked at each other and thought that the hallways were dull and drab and the pictures on the walls were dreary. When we arrived at our cabin we were met by our steward who told us he was a bit nervous as this was his first cruise servicing the penthouse suite. He was not familiar with how anything worked. The suite itself was very nice, overly spacious and well appointed. They were doing repair work on the ceiling on the veranda so a couple of areas of ceiling were missing. We weren't quite sure if we were going to like this ship. As the day and cruise went on, everything kept getting better. The food, service and entertainment was excellent. The ship was very clean. The ports of call had just enough time to fill our needs. The private island is the best I have ever been on. Being a little older crowd was exactly what I needed. No pushing and shoving at the buffet lines and always a place to sit. The main dining room had the atmosphere of a fine dining restaurant ( very intimate ) not that of an oversized dining hall like on other ships. Service was perfect the whole cruise in every aspect. What started out as a question as to whether I would return to the Westerdam ended with a definate YES. This was our second cruise with HAL and I'm sorry I have another cruise lined up on another line because I am now hooked on HAL. Can't wait to get back on board.

Hi

I was on the same cruise and posted my review, but had a lapse in memory and have it titled as happening in NOV, rather than DEC. UGGG

I agree, and you will see in my review, that ship seems past due for some time in the yard for scrapping and painting. There is lots of rust at the waterline and I saw some deep rusted pitting on my veranda (cat SB at the aft).

The ship interrior I found to be relaxing and intimate. I loved the art. Most of the public rooms were well appointed and traffic patterns were good except for the spa check in desk.

I felt the food taste and presentation was mostly good but that some of the service was inattentive.

We were on the Westerdam this past spring on a Panama Canal cruise. The poor ship was scraped up one side and down the other in all of the locks. In most of the ports after we exited the canal the crew was busy making repairs and painting. This was in April. I am sure that from the captain on down they would like to have the Westerdam "re-blued" and I am sure that it will happen in due course, until then I am sure they are doing the best they can. My DH and I were shocked at the amount of damage she suffered. It looked like it was down to bare metal in several places. I don't know if this is normal or not but I bet every ship's captain can't wait until the new wider locks are open in a few years. I bet they cringe everytime they hear those loud scrapes.

For what it costs to use the Panama Canal, they should have that squirting Astroglide on the hull & the lock sides!

I bet that with Spring '12 drydock that the Westy'll get some TLC for its rust/pitting and a new coat of deep blue.

Derek

I also was on the Dec 4 Westerdam cruise. I was pleasantly impressed with the cruise. The entertainment was good, the food was good and the service from the staff was as I remembered it - excellent.

I actually did not notice any rust on the ship.

We had a great time both on the ship and off at the really nice ports of call.

We ate in the Vista dining room for dinner every night and in the Lido for lunch and dinner. No complaints.

We will definitely cruise Holland again.

Just got back from a week on the Westerdam. My first impression was that the ship looked old and in need of repair. The navy blue hull was faded and rust showed every where. We were taken to our cabin and my wife and I looked at each other and thought that the hallways were dull and drab and the pictures on the walls were dreary. When we arrived at our cabin we were met by our steward who told us he was a bit nervous as this was his first cruise servicing the penthouse suite. He was not familiar with how anything worked. The suite itself was very nice, overly spacious and well appointed. They were doing repair work on the ceiling on the veranda so a couple of areas of ceiling were missing. We weren't quite sure if we were going to like this ship. As the day and cruise went on, everything kept getting better. The food, service and entertainment was excellent. The ship was very clean. The ports of call had just enough time to fill our needs. The private island is the best I have ever been on. Being a little older crowd was exactly what I needed. No pushing and shoving at the buffet lines and always a place to sit. The main dining room had the atmosphere of a fine dining restaurant ( very intimate ) not that of an oversized dining hall like on other ships. Service was perfect the whole cruise in every aspect. What started out as a question as to whether I would return to the Westerdam ended with a definate YES. This was our second cruise with HAL and I'm sorry I have another cruise lined up on another line because I am now hooked on HAL. Can't wait to get back on board.

The Westerdam is next scheduled for a (10-Day) Dry Dock, in Freeport, Bahamas, from April 14 to 24, 2012! :)

We were on this ship on a 34 night South Pacific in Sept/Oct. We loved her and would not hesitate to return. She is a bit old looking in certain areas but the service from the front Desk, Shore Excursions, Dining, Stewarts, Shows were all excellent. We had our best ever cruise, mind you the Cruise Critic people we met made it also an awesome cruise and adventure.

Archived