Another Way for HAL to Cut Costs......

sail7seas

HAL was not on the verge of bankrupcy when CCL acquired them???

HAL had to sell. They were not in a position to obtain the financing required to build or buy new ships and expand, ie flat broke and generating NO positive cash flow. The writing was on the wall for HAL at that point in their history.

Without serious financial investment by CCL or another suiter, HAL was headed for the history books. It was simply a matter of time.

HAL was not near bankruptcy. It was vital, hence Carnival wanted it. Celebrity is as worse off now as HAL is. These lines arent the same because they have dumbed down passenger expectations. Your cruise today is nothing linke mine 5 years ago. Nor is the price. Therein is the rub.

I agree cruises are nothing like the past....more than 5 year IMHO. My opinion is it has nothing to do with bringing on wine. It has more to do with society today and business survival...and trying to balance all of it. I would much rather things (values, society, economies, morals, etc) be as they were 20 years ago (and I'm not that old) but that's progress. We are a mcdonalds society.

HAL was not on the verge of bankrupcy when CCL acquired them???

HAL had to sell. They were not in a position to obtain the financing required to build or buy new ships and expand, ie flat broke and generating NO positive cash flow. The writing was on the wall for HAL at that point in their history.

Without serious financial investment by CCL or another suiter, HAL was headed for the history books. It was simply a matter of time.

Ths makes more sense. To say people lugging their own drinks "Saved Hal" is really reaching.

It's funny that almost every poster who totes his own cases of wine on, always boasts that they have a bigger bar bill than the guy who brings nothing and purchases the ships beverages.

When Carnival acquired HAL, they began plans to build Statendam and her sisters. Statendam, "S" Class ships, were immediate successess. People loved those ships and many of us still do. More verandas, great size, lots of comforts.......

Carnival and the "S" ships turned HAL around financially.

HAL was simply undercapitalized, had too much much debt to service, and no positive cash flow.

This is not a knock on HAL, heck it would be easier to count the airlines in North America that have not been in bankrupcy or had a shotgun wedding.

It is just business.

HAL was simply undercapitalized, had too much much debt to service, and no positive cash flow.

This is not a knock on HAL, heck it would be easier to count the airlines in North America that have not been in bankrupcy or had a shotgun wedding.

It is just business.

exactly

Can we at least agree she aint the same line?

Of course...I think we all agree on lots of things. Unfortunately (without trying to sound like doomsday) lots of things ain't the same, but hey some things are better like computers and phones.

and Carnival bought them to be upscale. What happened? Oh, bigger ships!

Those 'bigger ships' are the beautiful "S" class ships. Statendam joined the fleet first and it wasn't long after Carnival 'financed' her construction. Those ships were designed AFTER the sale of HAL.

I would SO prefer a small price increase to the nickel and diming that happened to the airlines. I can't imagine $20 to $30 per person would send people scurrying off to other lines. But, I could be wrong.

Go to the thread about saving money on your cruise. Half the posts are about how to evade the rules about bringing booze on board (evading rules they agreed to when purchasing a ticket). Another popular one is taking your lunch off the ship even if it is against the law!

Sad but true.

Maybe they should charge for luggage then people might not want to bring 10 cases of wine on with them:eek:. Just think of all that extra wine revenue:D.

I think those that bring more than a case on board like to throw parties. Their alternatives would be:

Get a private party price from the line,

Hold the party in a port,

Skip it and consider another cruiseline.

I think most other cruise lines in HAL category forbid bringing more than one bottle of wine aboard. HAL has the most generous wine/water/soda policy I know of. Perhaps I'm ill informed, which is certainly possible.

Celebrity permits 2 bottles of wine per statemroom.

In reality, many people take 2 bottles per person. Never an issue. In our experience, wine purchased at a port call is held until the last day of the cruise.

I think they charge $20. corkage...not certain because we only consume wine on our verandah.

I think most other cruise lines in HAL category forbid bringing more than one bottle of wine aboard. HAL has the most generous wine/water/soda policy I know of. Perhaps I'm ill informed, which is certainly possible.

Disney currently doesn't have any restrictions on alcohol, regardless of the type, unless something has changed in the last year. While they tend to charge more, I consider them in the same category as HAL.

Somehow I always forget about Disney....... :o

So thank you for mentioning their alcohol policy. I had no idea.

We never bring any alcohol aboard with us but I'm interested in the various policies.

]Celebrity[/b] permits 2 bottles of wine per statemroom.

In reality' date=' many people take 2 bottles per person. Never an issue. In our experience, wine purchased at a port call is held until the last day of the cruise.

[b']I think they charge $20. corkage[/b]...not certain because we only consume wine on our verandah.

I think that you will be surprised to learn that X now charges $30 corkage fee, per bottle, (formally $25)! :eek:;)

Disney currently doesn't have any restrictions on alcohol, regardless of the type, unless something has changed in the last year. While they tend to charge more, I consider them in the same category as HAL.

Well, something must have changed in the last year because DCL allows the following to be brought onboard, per person, over the age of 21:

ONE bottle or wine OR ONE bottle of champagne OR SIX cans/bottles of beer! (And the corkage fee is $20)! ;)

Archived