Anyone on the Sun since its Refurbishment? How was your cruise?

curlyj

I was on the Sun with SecondMate and agree completely. The ship is beautiful and spick and span clean. Hi SecondMate! It was so nice meeting you and Dave and your parents. We enjoyed your ready smile and your great personality!! Sorry we didn't get a chance to say goodbye.

Kathleen

NCL Dream - Canada/NE 9/25/02

NCL Sun - Alaska 7/13/03

NCL Sun - Panama Canal 4/11/04

Can't wait to read the reviews of Iowa and SecondMate after the refurb! Did they do anything to the cabins? We've never been on the Sun (going 9/19 on the 7 day, followed by a 5 day Pac. Coastal).

Were there any nights where the specialty restaurants were discounted 5:30-6:30 pm? We've noticed that on some ships. Who was the Cruise Dir. and what did you think? What were the production shows - were they Jean Ann Ryan?

Ute fan and Curlyj, would love to read yr reviews as well since you'll be some of the first of the new Alaska season!

Welcome gjb1208 to the CC community! icon_smile.gif It's a wonderful way to get info and share experiences...oh, and to meet your fellow cruisers! After all, anticipation is half the fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Happy sails to all! icon_smile.gif

Hi, Kathleen--so glad to see you here! I'm sorry we didn't get to say goodbye, either. You were the first person I remember seeing here who was going on our cruise, so we shared a lot of happy anticipation long before we sailed. It was a real pleasure to meet you and Myrna; both of you are lovely and enthusiastic people, and we enjoyed having dinner with you and running into you almost every day. Hope your adjustment to reality hasn't been too tough!

Hi, Barb--Will try to answer your questions. I don't think the specialty restaurants were discounted on our cruise, but that may be because they had an easier job filling them on a 16-day trip. On the weeklong cruises, they likely look for ways to fill more seats. The shows are still Jean-Ann Ryan and still very good for cruise-ship fare. We had "Encore, Mr. Producer," which I missed, "Cirque Pan," which we thoroughly enjoyed and "Que Noche" which was also pretty good. I think there are that many J-A R shows on a weeklong cruise, too. Our entertainment was filled in with quite a few other musicians, comedians, etc., since we were out so long. Some of them, like a flamenco guitarist named Fabio Zini and a pianist/singer named Bobby Hamilton, were superb. Fabio is off the ship now, much to the woe of sailing women everywhere, but I believe Bobby is still around.

The cabins looked great--bedspreads and curtains were freshly cleaned and I think the carpet in our room was new. Most of the carpet on the ship looked new, in fact, and the paint, wood, brass and glass everywhere just gleamed. Someone is always scrubbing or polishing something. Standards for preventing Norwalk were extensive--they really do a good job of keeping things clean with 3,000 people running around.

Sorry to say we were definitely not impressed with the cruise director, Linda Minnikin. (She was the only complaint we had about the Sun, and we found the rest of her staff and the crew in general to be absolutely wonderful.) We found her exceptionally long-winded, condescending and saccharine. The Panama Canal transit has a largely older crowd and many of them were from Europe, which may be why they put Ms. Minnikin, who is English and in her 40s, on instead of the usual Sun CD, Paul Baya (Beya?). Have never met him but have heard he's excellent. In any case, a few other passengers I talked to seemed to like Ms. Minnikin, so obviously everyone has a different cup of tea when it comes to CDs.

Whew! I have some nerve calling someone else long-winded, huh? Hope that wasn't more than you wanted!

[This message was edited by SecondMate on 05-01-04 at 10:45 AM.]

We are on the June 6 Sun. Booked an AB room with a balcony. We booked most of our excursions

with independant companys. Float plane, photo safari,taking the jeep trip out of Wrangell. Anyone else on the Sun on the 6th?

We were on the Panama Canal Cruise with Second Mate and Iowagal. I agree with Second Mate regarding the cruise director, Linda. We definitely were not impressed with her. Her British accent dropping her T's and G's became very grating after a while. It made her sound low class. We much preferred her assistant David who was a hoot.

The ship looked great. All of the carpets were cleaned and there seemed to be a fresh coat of paint and varnish, especially on the promenade deck. The promenade deck was resurfaced which made walking more comfortable.

The only specialty restaurants we did were Pacific Heights and the Teppanyaki. Cooking Light in Pacific Heights did not mean eating light as the portions for the meatloaf and lasagna were huge. The mocha cake for dessert was excellent. In the Teppanyaki Restaurant there are three "shows" each night at 5:30, 7:30 and 9:30. The filet mignon was excellent. Most people added shrimp with the beef. My wife found the scallops a bit too salty for her liking.

The port consultant, Ryan, never seemed to give the same answer twice to people booking future cruises.

There are two free items not to miss while ashore. The first is the free Del Sol bag with the NCL design (value $18). The second is the Diamonds International free charm bracelet. You get an additional free charm in each port with a DI shop.

Norwegian Sun 5/04 (Panama Canal)

Norwegian Majesty 4/03

Norwegian Sky 12/02 Norway 4/02

Holiday 11/01 Sensation 2/01

Fascination 4/99

Carousel 4/97

kruss1962

We will also be on the ship on the 6th of June. We are going with our kids, and are in a superior inside cabin. With 4 of us going I couldn't afford a balcony and any shore excursions!

I have been looking at something for Wrangell. Who did you arrange your Jeep trip through? I know the ship has one too, and I think my daughter might enjoy the jeep ride.

Maybe we can meet up on the ship.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

We booked the jeep trip with the ship. All the others were done on our own. The jeep trip seemed like it would be fun. The photo safari is about 60 each. Out about 4 hours. Seemed like a great time. We are going into Vancouver a couple of days early to see the sites.

We're also on the sun May 23rd.

It's the same day as my wife's 40th birthday

We will be icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif dining in Le Bistro for our 10th anniversary.

Can anyone recommend an alternative for her birthday??

Thanks.

It is wonderful to hear good things about the SUN. We sail one week from today. I am so ready to go.

Sandra

Holiday 1/6/04

Conquest 7/20/03

Holiday 2/6/2003

We just got off of the Sun yesterday. I have to totally agree about Linda. But, I also didn't like her assistant David either. He seemed to have ADHD or some other problem. Wouldn't look anyone in the eye and was always fidgeting. Quite annoying. The rest of the staff was great, though.

Hiya, arrosen. Did you do the canal transit in addition to the LA-Vancouver repo? How was the repo? If only I could've taken five more days off work, I would've jumped at the offer they were making onboard to lengthen the cruise by five days. At one point, they got down to $100-something!

Thanks for the welcome. The insight and information you guys have given is mindboggling. I appreciate everything I have learned from this board and all of you "cruisers". This is our 2nd cruise, and definitely won't be our last.

Only 6 days left until we depart. We have a BE outside balcony AFT. Hopefully it will be good.

Counting the minutes......

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas

NCL Sun

If you wouldn't mind, maybe we could steal a peak at your room. I would like to see what a balcony room looks like icon_biggrin.gif.

We have four of us going, including 2 young adult age children. Hopefully they won't embarass me too much!! If nothing else, we will see you on the jeep ride.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Curly:

We've got a group of 18 people aged 34-74 on board with you.

See ya on May 23rd!!!

We live in Vancouver. Where y'all from??? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Jarett-

We are from Vancouver as well!

Kruss1962-

What things are you interested in doing?

The usual include Stanley Park (walking, biking, rollerblading), Grouse Mountain, sites along the way to Whistler, Robson Street, Lighthouse Park, Gardens at Little Mountain, Granville Island, Lynn Canyon.....on and on

Hey Curlyj, We get in late on Friday, We need cool places to eat for Brunch on Saturday and Sunday, and Dinner for Saturday night. We love all types. Not into real dress up or fancy. Just good food, good view, good time.

Hi Barb, I also was on with Iowagal, Secondmate, and Barry, and hi to you all and Gail be sure and tell your parents hi also. I was on the Dawn with Barb. and her husband Bob last May for it's repo. 14 days cruise. It is good to see you are going to Alaska Barb and if you have not done it before you will love it. We go again on the Star May 30. What everyone has told you about the Sun is good advice and yes we agree with what they had to say about the CD Linda, and also Ryan the PCC. The JAR shows are pretty much the same as what we had on the Dawn, but we still enjoyed them and they made a few changes in them. The ship is just like new. Will Bob be giving any of his lectures on this cruise you are going on? I know how much Harold and Rick enjoyed him. Rick did not get to go with us this time altho he sure wanted to. At the rate you are cruising now I feel sure we will meet up again. How is your Dad doing?

Kruss -

I assume you are staying near the Pier??

Brunch at downtown hotels - Pan Pacific, Hotel Vancouver, Four Seasons, etc.

If you like to people watch - Robson Street, lots of variety, sidewalk patios

Our favourite for food and view - "The Cannery"

We have revolving restaurants - at Renessiance Vancouver Hotel, Cloud 9 at the Empire Landmark, & Top of Vancouver.

Also at the Top of Grouse Mountain is a restaurant (The Observatory). Can't forget Hon's in Chinatown. (not much view tho)

Way too much to choose from.....

Hi again Barb, one thing I forgot to tell you is since you were on the Sky just a couple of months ago, you will see that the Sun is just like the Sky only one thing better is that there is a lot more storage space in the cabins like there should be on the Sun. Also the one thing I like better on the Star and the Dawn is the show rooms, and I am sure you agree on that too. We had one person in our cc group who did the LA to Van. after our cruise ended and maybe he will read this and tell you how that part of the cruise went for him. (Dennis let her know)

Thanks to all for the excellent recommendations on things to see in Vancouver. The ship sounds wonderful, and as NJR says, similar to the Sky which we were on in March.

Hi Norma! Sounds like you all had a great trip. Always is so much better when you meet up with fellow CC'ers, isn't it? It will be our very first trip to Alaska when we go in Sept. so we're really looking forward to it. Yes, Bob will be giving a few lectures on the sea days and late in the afternoons. This Sunday we are going on a one night "Cruise to Nowhere" on the Dawn! That should be a lot of fun, and, of course, no lectures to worry about on that one! The QM2 is scheduled to be in port as well so we hope to get a glimpse (and maybe some pictures) of her. Regards to Harold and Rick. Get some rest before your next cruise!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Archived