Reynolds Car Rental-BAD experience

weloverunning

We were in St. Martin two weeks ago on the Dawn. We decided to rent a car and driver over to Loterie Farms for some treetop obstacle course and ziplining.

We did not book a car rental since we were going to be the only ship in port. When you leave the gate, there are about 4-5 car rental places in the same area. For some unknown reason (I don't know what we were thinking), we went over to the guy who was yelling out of his little window with paperwork in hand and rented from him. BIG MISTAKE. He had two jeeps outside. Said you could rent a jeep for $65. We signed all the paper work, buy insurance, and he takes us over to the beat up jeep. I start going around to make sure we agree on all damages and he says "don't worry about it, I have it all written down". We get a map and get going. The fuel tank was empty. We had to stop for gas right away. It ran rough but got us there. The roads in St. Martin are bad i.e,. potholes, washed out roads, etc. We get done at Loterie and it is pouring. The jeep has wipers. However, they never touch the windshield. We drove (very slow) for over an hour without windshield wipers in the pouring rain. The roads were flooded and traffic was stalled.

Anyway, we get back to the pier to return the car. A different guy is there, comes out of his little booth and starts yelling that we damaged the front fender of the car. I first explained quietly that all that damage was there, we had only left the car once and no one was parked near us, and that the other man knew about it. It kind of escalated so he called the owner/manager who had checked us in. We waited about ten minutes for him to show up. He said the damage wasnt' there yada yada yada. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), I kind of went ballistic. After the screamfest he says, "okay, I'll let it go and won't charge you" WHAT!!!! You'll let what go? We didn't do anything. DH told me to quiet down, let it go so we can get out of there, got our credit card slip which was held for security, and went back to the ship fuming.

I am so ashamed of US. We have traveled extensively, know better as we had had problems with rental cars on other islands, know to write down damage etc. and didn't do any of the things we know we should.

We are now committed to using taxis in foreign countries as by the time everything is paid for and the aggravation is over, a taxi is probably well worth it or we will only rent from well-known international companies. (Yes, there was a Hertz in the same set of booths)

We always rent from Triple A a local company and no issues. We will rent from arthur's on our March cruise as they rent from the pier. Many, many local companies have wonderful reputations on the island. In fact I have read and heard about more problems and inflated fees from people who rented from hertz on St. Maarten. The local companies have served many cruisers and vacationers well over the years.

Sorry about your experience.

Archived