Dream Review 10-17 Dec 2011

wilddinodog

Just back from our West Caribbean cruise. Sorry I haven't got any pictures but I can see there will be others with some fantastic pictures anyway. Also it will be fairly brief so apologies for those that like loads of detail.

To start we are from the UK so arrived at Orlando the day before, brilliant flight from Manchester thanks to Virgin Atlantic. Brand new A330 in Premium the staff looked after us very well and I had to slow the crew down with the drinks service otherwise I doubt if I would have made it across the pond! We had a night at the Hyatt at OIA, I really love this hotel and my son (Jack) is an aviation fan and I asked for a room with a view of the runway which they kindly obliged.

We picked up a hire care the following morning and after a short drive to Port Canaveral dropped the car at the local Dollar depot. Probably my only issue was this stage as the Dollar office was really busy and we had to wait forever to hand the keys in and get to the port. I understand that they were a little overwhelmed by the number of people but I do think it could have been better organised. Eventually we arrived and checked in with no issues at all and walked straight on the ship and up to the lido for a quick lunch.

Staterooms were available shortly after 13:30 and we got settled in our room (6239) and waited for the muster which was conducted in the Encore Lounge for us. Very informative with all key areas covered we then made it up to level 11 (aft) to watch the dream leave Port Canaveral (weather wasn't too good). We met our steward (Igusto) really lovely bloke from Bali and he looked after us all week. Off for Dinner (via the Sushi bar) and met our waiters (sorry can't remember their names) they were good but not outstanding otherwise I would probably remember them.

Ok what followed was 7 fantastic days, I am finding it very hard to critique anything negative on the Dream.This was our fourth time with Carnival and I have to say the Dream is by far the best ship we had been on.

Key Things:

Gym - Really good, my wife and I like to run every day and first day we thought it was going to be difficult getting a free treadmill but by day 2 it slowed down and we never had to wait after that.

Food - No real difference with lines on other Carnival ships I have been on despite the larger passenger numbers. We really liked the Mongolian Wok and the Tandoor the best. Also the Tandoor offers a quite area for breakfast (with no line at all). Main dining room food very good. Steakhouse fantastic.

Staff - Very good, good ent staff (both brits:) ) also I was impressed with all the bar staff, last cruise I went on I thought some had an attitude but not evident at all on the Dream.

Ports - Visited several previously but we really enjoyed Cozumel and Roatan.

Leaving the Dream was a doddle and the lines at Dollar were much better this time around.

Overall a fantastic cruise we all give it 10 out of 10 and I think for value for money it really can't be beat.

Ok off for 2 weeks in Florida now before we return to the doom and gloom of a British winter. Merry Christmas and we want to thank our American friends for making us feel very welcome.

Gym - Really good, my wife and I like to run every day and first day we thought it was going to be difficult getting a free treadmill but by day 2 it slowed down and we never had to wait after that.

Thanks for the review! Stupid question: Where is the gym? I was looking over the deck map and couldn't find it marked anywhere. I figure I'll be more likely to actually go if I don't have to hunt for it. ;)

Thanks for the review! Stupid question: Where is the gym? I was looking over the deck map and couldn't find it marked anywhere. I figure I'll be more likely to actually go if I don't have to hunt for it. ;)

Deck 12 forward! Now you have no excuses!!:D:D

Welcome back to land. We leave on the Dream on the 24th so I was interested in reading your review!

We will be "first timers" on the Dream - having just gotten off, what would you recommend we be sure to "not miss" in terms of shows, on-board activities, places to eat (I noted your Tandoor recommendation for a quiet place for breakfast!!), etc.?

Deck 12 forward! Now you have no excuses!!:D:D

Most certainly! Thanks!

Welcome back to land. We leave on the Dream on the 24th so I was interested in reading your review!

We will be "first timers" on the Dream - having just gotten off, what would you recommend we be sure to "not miss" in terms of shows, on-board activities, places to eat (I noted your Tandoor recommendation for a quiet place for breakfast!!), etc.?

I'll be on the same boat with you. :cool:

Re shows we did several which were 'ok' although to be honest we weren't expecting anything outstanding. We thought dancing in the streets was good in parts but really didn't warm to the female lead singer who did a lot of shouting in my opinion. We loved the action comedy show and the break dancers were very very good. They did a show in the Atrium area which was really good. Also did the Steakhouse which is an absolute must in my eyes;) another top tip is go to deck 5 for some quiet time and it is great to walk around the ship and you see hardly anyone.

Thanks for the reply! We know we'll never be able to "see and do it all" nor do we intend to, but we do like to know what's ahead so we can at least go to some of the things we might otherwise miss.

Have you visited any of the stops before?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived