Weehawken Ferry Questions

davy jones

I see that some say that the Weehawken Ferry is a good alternative to driving to the pier for the Dawn. I looked at their web site and some maps. Now I have some questions.

1. How far is the walk from the ferry dock at 38th street to the Dawn. From a map, I estimate that it is between 1/2 and 3/4 mile, depending on the Dawn pier.

2. What are the streets like on the walk? Are they overly busy and congested? Are they safe? After all, when you're pulling tagged luggage along, you scream "tourist".

3. Are there taxis at the ferry terminal that can take you to the pier?

Thanks to all

Davey, took the ferry over to NY a few times to see a show in NY. Walk to the pier is very short, I would say 1/2 mile. Walk is very safe as it is a tourist attraction in the area with the USS Intrepid right there. I belielve taxies are there and fare would only be about 3-4 $

When are you leaving.

Joe

TIME TILL WE CRUISE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ffd700&cdt=2004;5;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Perth Amboy ferry

USS Chicago CG 11

USS Bainbridge DLGN, Celebrity Zenith

Jenna Nicole.

DAWN: 05-16-2004

Davey: I second that. We just took the Weehawken Ferry over to see the Queens last Sunday. First of all, you will get an awesome view of the ships in port as soon as you pull into the Weehawken Ferry parking lot. When you get off the Ferry, it looks like you are right there at the ship terminal, but it's actually between 12-17 blocks, depending on what pier your boat is at. I wouldn't think anything of pulling my luggage from ferry terminal to ship terminal in that area. Just hope you don't have too much luggage to pull that many blocks. I do not recall seeing any taxi's waiting there, the way they do at Port Authority and other places, but you probably could get one. The Ferry terminal has buses (free) that take you uptown, (probably why no taxi's waiting there) but I don't think they take you to the ship terminal. I paid $7.00 parking for the day. It has an open parking lot, however. I'm not sure how safe a car would be all week. Maybe others can comment on that. I would say if driving to the ferry terminal is more convenient for you than to the ship terminal, and you think your car would be safe, go for it.

Time left 'till we sail the Norwegian Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Norwegien Dawn, June 2004

Carnival Festivale, May 1989

Premier SS Royale, March 1986

Same good experience here.

I was on the Dawn last December. I lived in Northern New Jersey, so just took a local bus down to the Weehawken Ferry. Took Ferry across (you may not realize from the map that is is no more than a 4-5 minute ride!), then me and my wheeled luggage walked up the street for about 10 mins and THERE SHE IS! I got home the same way.

Another option is the Weehawken Sheraton. I knew of another cruiser who stayed the night prior to the cruise there, kept his car parked in the garage (he said rates were reasonable) and the hotel had a free shuttle to the ferry. Did the reverse on the return and he was very happy with the service and accomodations (and saved last minute wear and tear about making it to ship in time!).

Good luck and enjoy your wonderful cruise!

icon_cool.gif Frank icon_cool.gif

Dec. 2003 - Norwegian Dawn - Florida/Bahamas

Oct. 2003 - Norwegian Sea - Caribbean Repositioning (named Miss Norwegian Sea!)

Dec. 2002 - Norwegian Wind - Hawaiian Islands

Oct. 2002 - Norwegian Sky - Eastern Caribbean Repositioning

March 2002 - Norwegian Sky - Western Caribbean

March 2001 - Renaissance; Tahiti

Feb. 1998 - Renaissance; Portugal/Spain

Fall 1996 - Norwegian Windward - Panama Canal Repositioning

Fall 1994 - Crown Odyssey - Greece & Eastern Med.

May 1987 - Stardancer - Admiral Cruise Line - Mexico

Summer 1984 - Private Charter; Channel Islands, CA

Hi Davy - when you step off the pier in NYC you end up right on a walkway that follows the waterline. I was there when the QM2 and QE2 were there (which I would think would have been an exceptionally busy day) and didn't feel overly crowded or feel like we stood out like the obvious tourists that we were. Actually, we even had two couples stop to ask where we were headed and wish us a nice trip. I didn't see any cabs, but we were two 30+ year old women and a 14 year old and didn't have a problem lugging the stuff the 1/2 mile to the ship.

mmm

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;04;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  till Lala and I whoop it up on the Norwegian Dawn!

Archived