Solstice Dec 11-18 - Hangin' with the Primate Posse

subtchr

DSC02682.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

We stayed close to the coast for a while, and JJ pointed out the rooftops of Mud Hole, where he lives with his extended family. His great grandmother had 11 children, which explains the fact that he said he has at last count 66 cousins of one sort or another living nearby. He also pointed out the makeshift soccer pitch, with homemade wooden goals, and let us know that he would be heading to the mainland soon, as he had been chosen to try out for the national junior soccer team. We told him we'd look for him in the next World Cup!

After about a half hour we headed out toward the reef. We tied the kayaks to a mooring buoy and followed JJ. Beautiful!

DSC02686.jpg

DSC02687.jpg

DSC02690.jpg

DSC02691.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

DSC02697.jpg

Everything was great until JJ turned us back toward the kayaks, when we realized just how strong the current was. We are all pretty strong swimmers, but this was some tough stuff. Moses had stayed in his kayak, and a couple of us tagged along for a bit. We made it and clambered back in our own (thankfully there is no video of just how graceful THAT operation was). JJ was nice enough to bring up a conch, sea urchin, and starfish for us to see.

DSC02694.jpg

DSC02701.jpg

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

Compared to snorkeling against the current, the kayaking was easy. We headed back to the dock, admiring a couple of nice homes along the water on the way. There was one mansion who the boys told us was owned by a German who was only there a few times a year, but he paid $300 a day for his caretaker to feed and care for his four big dogs!

We arrived back at the dock, rinsed off, and headed back up the trail for drinks and lunch.

DSC02708.jpg

DSC02709.jpg

DSC02710.jpg

Drinks included a local beer, Salva Vida (Life Saver!)

DSC02711.jpg

Lunch was delicious - chips, salsa, pineapple, watermelon, and two amazing salads: quinoa with tomatoes, parsley and lime, and a cashew noodle salad. They were so good I bought a cookbook of recipes that included them. We ate in a screened in building, and Barb talked a little more about the business.

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02713.jpg

After we ate and chatted a while, we headed up the path to wait for the driver to take us back to the port. They are building what looks to be a beautiful pool on the hillside.

DSC02714.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

DSC02716.jpg

We thanked Barb for a lovely experience and headed back to the port in the van. We even made it through the mud again without having to get out and push. The driver dropped us off in the parking lot at the port.

DSC02718.jpg

DSC02719.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

We showered and relaxed a while, then the boys and I decided to head back out to do a little shopping. We really wanted to stop at a little store called "Made in Roatan". We had chatted with the operator, a Canadian, who said she has teens and others come in and make assorted items, and they receive the profit from the sale.

Walking to the store was interesting, with entreaties from all sides. But we made it, and bought a few things each.

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

A few other pictures from the port area:

DSC_0042-1.jpg

DSC_0049-1.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

After another great dinner in Blu, we watched part of the hot glass show:

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

Then the headliner show with Doug Cameron:

DSC02741.jpg

DSC02742.jpg

We caught a little of the "Sizzle" deck party.

DSC02743.jpg

Then it was off to bed. Costa Maya tomorrow, for a group tour with a good portion of the Primate Posse!

If it's Friday, this must be Costa Maya, the other port we had not previously visited, and one of the main reasons Pete & Tom chose this itinerary. They (and we) were looking forward to seeing some Mayan ruins.

After quite a bit of research, we chose Native Choice, and the Chacchoben Extreme Tour. A good call, to be sure.

We had 32 people from the roll call sign up ahead of time for the tour, which meant that instead of having to take a shuttle from the port gate to the Native Choice offices, they agreed to pick us up right at the gate. And give us a $10 discount per person. Well, one couple cancelled ahead of the cruise, one couple let us know the morning of the tour that they would not make it, and I believe two couples never did show up. So we had 24 primate posse members traveling with us. The plan was to meet at the Passport Bar at 8:15.

Bruce and I woke early as usual and headed up to the buffet for breakfast. There were no lines that early, so we got made-to-order omelets and took them out to our favorite spot, the open-air section at the stern.

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-3.jpg

Great sunrise this morning:

DSC_0007-3.jpg

They have definitely invested some money into the facilities at the port:

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

My friend Larry and I trading photographs of the photographer:

DSC_0025-5.jpg

DSC_0026-4.jpg

DSC_0028-3.jpg

DSC_0027-2.jpg

There was just a little confusion as we went outside the gates to wait for the bus, and the man coordinating the transportation there was pretty insistent that the tour company could not send a bus to the port. I am sure his reluctance to allow it had to do with the fact that we would not be needing his services. Well, I was (politely, I hope) insistent as well that we had arranged to be picked up, and he got Ivan, the tour guide from Native Choice, on the phone, and it was all worked out. Soon we were boarding a bus and heading out.

DSC_0030-2.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

Ivan was the best tour guide I have had anytime, anywhere. Period. He is a native of the Yucatan, of Mayan heritage, highly educated, eloquent, insightful, and a natural teacher. From the minute he began talking to us on the drive to Chacchoben, we were all spellbound. He had a quiet but passionate way about him when he told us about the area, Mayan history and culture, present day issues, and many other topics. He answered all of our questions (and there were many) with patience and insight. Neither apologist nor revisionist, but harboring no apparent bitterness, he offered us a perspective that was both fascinating and unique.

The drive to Chacchoben took about a half hour, but the time flew by as we listened to Ivan. We arrived before the big tour groups from the ship, so we were able to walk with him around the ruins. Again, he brought a unique perspective to the tour, as the ruins were actually discovered by his father, and Ivan grew up with the area as his playground. Some pics from the tour:

DSC_0034-1.jpg

DSC_0036-3.jpg

DSC_0038-Version2-1.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

DSC_0098-2.jpg

After the tour we had a few minutes to shop at the visitor center, before heading to Bacalar Lagoon, or Seven Color Lagoon.

DSC_0126.jpg

On the way to Balacar, once we left the main road we drove quite a while down a dirt path, closely bordered by jungle the whole time (as in, the bus took off several branches). Once we arrived, we walked over to a lovely open-air shelter, where we had a delicious lunch of chicken fajitas, and fresh pineapple, accompanied by one's drink of choice. I had a daiquiri first which was just okay, then a margarita, which was much better.

A very cool tree in front of the shelter:

DSC_0128.jpg

Lunch!

DSC_0129-1.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

After lunch, we all walked down the hill to the lagoon beach. It's nothing fancy, but it's quiet and pretty.

DSC_0140.jpg

Some local "residents":

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

Changing rooms are in a building very close to the beach area:

DSC_0142.jpg

Kayaks are available for use (complimentary). Bruce and I took a couple out and traveled down to peek at another resort, then across to the other side and back to the beach. It's a fresh water lagoon, and the water is clear and gorgeous.

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

I am convinced that our Primate Posse group could have made anywhere fun, and that was definitely true here. I just know Larry would want me to share this video:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/subtchr/Celebrity%20Solstice%20Cruise%20December%202011/DSC02762.jpg[/img]"]HOLLYWOOD TRAVELER Sliding in Roatan

That is Bruce and I paddling kayaks in the background.

A few more on the beach:

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Sue,

Beautiful pictures.

We have a tour scheduled with Native Choice in Costa Maya too. We go to the same ruin but then to a village for lunch.

We appreciate your sharing so much about your trip and look forward to our own sailing.

FYI - the link to Larry's video didn't work.

Rick

They were decorating this for a wedding that weekend:

DSC_0182.jpg

We were all just relaxing, waiting for the time to head back to the ship, when I reminded Ivan that he had said earlier in the tour that he would explain to us the supposed Mayan prediction of the end of the world in 2012. An admission here - I am a math geek, and my son did not fall far from the tree. But no geekiness was required to be fascinated by Ivan's tale. He began by teaching us the basics of the Mayan mathematical system, then the different types of calendars. He showed us a picture he had, more of a pictograph, and used his whiteboard to demonstrate concepts. All of us were spellbound. As I mentioned earlier, Ivan is a natural teacher. In case you are curious, the December 2012 date IS very significant on the Mayan calendar, within Mayan mythology - a "reset", if you will. But for the rest of the world? Not so much. A few pics of Ivan and his rapt students:

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0183-1.jpg

A great tour, one I would HIGHLY recommend!

We were dropped off at the port with some time to shop a bit before heading back to the ship. The area around the port is nice, but with a large Carlos and Charlie's AND a Senor Frog's, as well as a beautiful pool, I imagine they are not crazy about Celebrity ships (with their available beverage packages onboard). Ivan told us that very few people live near the port, but they drive in when the ships are in. The Solstice at Costa Maya:

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0199-1.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

A great final port day, one we will always remember. We ate at Blu this night at a table for 6, as Larry and Jan joined us. We had a different sommelier serving our table, but our favorite one reinforced our affection for her by stopping by to let Bruce know she had found a wine he would like, and bringing him a glass (as well as refilling Tom's, which the other sommelier was negligent about doing). She was so great!

Sea day tomorrow, last day! So sad...

Archived