Ship Docks at 5 a.m.

Texas

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess in August. We will complete our 12 day British Isle Cruise in Southhampton arriving at 5 a.m. If we drag our own bags off the ship, how early do you think we can get through the disembarkation process and be on the pier. We plan to hire a car service to get us to the airport for an 11:40 flight. Doable?????

You may even be fine using the Princess $49 shuttle. The recommend no flights earlier than 12 to Heathrow. But that's pretty close. If you hire a car service, you probably will have an even bigger cushion. We're using Smiths from London to Southampton and got a very good price.

Unassisted disembarkation from about 7am, general disembarkation from 7.30, ship pretty-well empty by 9.30.

Prospects are that you'll be fine, but we need to know:

1. Which airport?- London has 5, though its likely to be either Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW)

2. The date of your flight? (day of the week makes a big difference at that time of day, esp in August)

3. What time your airline check-in desk closes? Recommended arrival at check-in is usually 3 hours ahead - don't worry that you haven't a hope in hell of making that time, but different airlines have different closing times, anywhere between 45 mins & 90 mins.

4. Is there a reasonably convenient later flight? Not wanting to spend 23 hours in an airport hotel is understandable, but later same-day is going to be less worrying, & open up cheaper transport options.

JB :)

We will be leaving the ship on a Saturday heading for Heathrow for that 11:40 flight. I had thought about changing to a later flight; but once I saw how much the airline wants for a change fee; I decided we would just have to hurry and hope for the best.

We will be leaving the ship on a Saturday heading for Heathrow for that 11:40 flight. I had thought about changing to a later flight; but once I saw how much the airline wants for a change fee; I decided we would just have to hurry and hope for the best.

Just hope there are no delays from Immigration/Customs clearing the ship ;)

By scheduled bus -there's not a scheduled National Express bus to suit your timing for this flight.:(

By train - the rail station is a 10 min cab ride from the pier, if you don't make the 07.30 train you won't make your plane, so highly inadvisable.:(

The first ship-sponsored Heathrow coaches usually leave the pier around 08.00, which is cutting things fine even with saturday traffic.

At current exchange rates the $49 quoted for Princess coach transfer works out around £65 for two.

By private transfer - saturday is a good day on the road to Heathrow :)

Journey time by private transfer on a saturday allow up to 90 minutes, a little less for T4 or T5.

So if you fixed a car for 07.15 & arranged unassisted disembarkation, without hold-ups you'll be at Heathrow before 09.00.

If you can get priority disembarkation at 07.30 you should be able to collect your bags on the pier about 07.45 & be at Heathrow before 09.30 but that gives you little wiggle-room. Just needs a delay in finding your bags or an obstinate customs official or a glitch on the motorway & you'll be sweating.

So yes, failing a catastrophe (& subject to your airline's latest check-in time) you'll make the flight, but I'd recommend you carry your own cases off the ship as soon as disembarkation is permitted.

H of H is probably paying around £85 - £90 for a standard car with www.smithsforairports.com who are frequently recommended on this forum, along with www.westquaycars.com

Cheapest route to Heathrow is the Nat Express bus at £18 x 2, + £7 taxi to Southampton coach station.

So a later flight could save you something under $70 on transfers, but will cost you $?? airline change fee.

JB :)

Archived