Double stroller concerns

scarlett81

I have heard such varying opinions on the stroller/cruise issue, from you MUST bring your big double (kind with wide tires) for the rocky/cobblestone terrain-to FORGET the big double, wont' fit in the cabin or ship.

I honestly don't know what to think. I do know that we took the kids to Quebec City and really regretted not bringing the stroller with wide tires. Its all cobblestones and big hills and poor little guy's head bounced all over the place.

I had completely written off bringing the big one due to cabin size, however we just switched to a family type suite. And I realized now there will be plenty of room for the large stroller in the cabin. BUT, will there be room on the rest of the ship? (width is the same as a standard lightweight double, or standard doorway)

What about tendering with it? Its heavy but it folds very compactly and is easy to carry. For example, in disney to get on the buses we could fold it and lug it on the bus in 10 seconds. Its just a heavy beast.

If not, I will be bringing my lightweight double-I need a double with recline so the baby can nap, and so my small 5 yo has a place to rest. The downside with the lightweight is that it doesn't handle terrain as well.

Bring what you want. If it folds for storage...great! You want your little one to be comfy, and be able to nap when out and about.

Wide strollers can be difficult in the hallways....they are narrow and there are carts and trays, etc....inhibiting your progress.... but for ashore, and open areas of the ship...go for it! You may have to collapse the stroller to go thru your doorway....not a huge deal.

Stateroom doors are not standard doorway width. They're much smaller. Same with the hallways, they're narrow and loooong. The stateroom attendants frequently have their carts out, other people will be coming along, etc. As long as you realize you won't be able to open up the stroller until you get out of the cabin area, you'll be fine.

I can't tell if you're talking about a tandem or side-by-side. If' it's a side-by-side, I'd suggest you also bring a single to use on board for your younger child, since the older one will probably only need one during long port days. I've cruised with lots of double strollers and had no problem, but they were all tandem and we always have a room near the elevator to avoid long corridors. I was very happy to have my MacLaren side-by-side in Europe because it handled the cobblestones, but I did not use it on board - even though it's one of the narrowest side-by-sides, it still would have been too complicated on board. My upcoming cruise will be my first with kids without a stroller - I'm going to miss having somthing to hold all my stuff!

Best,

Mia

I can't tell if you're talking about a tandem or side-by-side. If' it's a side-by-side' date=' I'd suggest you also bring a single to use on board for your younger child, since the older one will probably only need one during long port days. I've cruised with lots of double strollers and had no problem, but they were all tandem and we always have a room near the elevator to avoid long corridors. I was very happy to have my MacLaren side-by-side in Europe because it handled the cobblestones, but I did not use it on board - even though it's one of the narrowest side-by-sides, it still would have been too complicated on board. My upcoming cruise will be my first with kids without a stroller - I'm going to miss having somthing to hold all my stuff!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

I don't have a tandem with 2 seats-I have an old sitnstand, but DD likes to sit so I've found that virtually useless...not to mention thats the one we used in Quebec and it was so bouncy, DS hated it. Hubby is begging me to throw it out.

I could start to look for a good used tandem-with 2 seats, either above and below, or front and back.

The monster double I have now is a Bumbleride. Its heavy like I said, but its among the most narrow of side by side strollers. My mil also just dropped off a used Maclaren double in good condition. The seats are a bit small for my 5 yo but it has recline for the baby.

So Mia, you thought that the Maclaren did well on the cobblestones? Why would u say it was too complicated for the ship? It would fit in common areas, wouldn't it?

So Mia, you thought that the Maclaren did well on the cobblestones? Why would u say it was too complicated for the ship? It would fit in common areas, wouldn't it?

Yes, the Maclaren did fine on the cobblestones of Rome and Spain, is easy to navigate and light to fold and carry when necessary - though you've mentioned bumpiness in both your posts and I can't comment on that since that's never been an issue with my kids, so for all I know, the Maclaren might be too bumpy for yours..

In my opinion, a side-by-side, even the narrowest, does not work on board the ship. Even with a single-wide, it requires constant "excuse mes". When I cruised with the Maclaren, I also brought a single for my child who needs the stroller more and the other one walked on board. But bring what you think is best for your family - I'd rather deal with inconvenience than cranky kids.

Best,

Mia

I would bring two singles as well or just one single. Your oldest is five right? I guess if you are walking all day the oldest might need a ride but maybe not. Or course my kiddos walked disney at age 3 for 7-9 days straight so YMMV depending on your kids energy level and stamina. By that age I took a tiny Northface pandora backpack. If it didn't fit in that we didn't take it. Makes touring so much easier. I would try going to your local zoo (or similar) all day with a single and see how it goes.

I would bring two singles as well or just one single. Your oldest is five right? I guess if you are walking all day the oldest might need a ride but maybe not. Or course my kiddos walked disney at age 3 for 7-9 days straight so YMMV depending on your kids energy level and stamina. By that age I took a tiny Northface pandora backpack. If it didn't fit in that we didn't take it. Makes touring so much easier. I would try going to your local zoo (or similar) all day with a single and see how it goes.

Its funny, we just got back from disney and tested that out. My daughter went from age 3-4 without ever wanting to be in the stroller. Now she wants to. While we were at Disney, every night at 7:30, she'd climb into the stroller and fall asleep in about 2 minutes. I realize we won't have many late 'out' nights in the ports, but she definitely likes her stroller now.

After reading this I'm considering doing 2 strollers instead of the double.

We have taken our Phil and Teds inline double on two cruises and had no issues. It is (IMHO as a mom of 6) by far the best and most versatile double I have owned.

Here is a link in case you aren't familiar with it.

http://www.amazon.com/phil-teds-Classic-Buggy-Doubles/dp/B004OF9BCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325208079&sr=8-2

My advice is to bring what you think you will get the most use out of. I would NOT be happy with my umbrella strollers bc they are simply not comfortable for walking long distances for me. But if you don't mind your lightweight double, bring that.

We have taken our Phil and Teds inline double on two cruises and had no issues. It is (IMHO as a mom of 6) by far the best and most versatile double I have owned.

Here is a link in case you aren't familiar with it.

http://www.amazon.com/phil-teds-Classic-Buggy-Doubles/dp/B004OF9BCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325208079&sr=8-2

My advice is to bring what you think you will get the most use out of. I would NOT be happy with my umbrella strollers bc they are simply not comfortable for walking long distances for me. But if you don't mind your lightweight double, bring that.

Thanks! I was just thinking to myself, I remember seeing a stroller like this but I can't recall which one, then I saw your post.

I think we'll get this, or either go with 2 singles. I was watching videos of ship life on youtube and just getting the double stroller around the buffet area, and pool area would be hard-it looks like they just cram those deck chairs together. After researching more, it seems to be the width of any double as the issue, not the weight.

That phil and teds is awesome...I hope DH lets me get it!

Archived