Kids 3 and 5 what do i need to take?

Grlpowers

This will be my first cruise with children and is there anything i should not forget to take for my kids? I picked up dramamine and sea bands for them. I have other meds in case they get sick. My kids are pretty easy going but i want to make sure i am not overlooking something. Also would you take a umbrella stroller for the 3 year old for excursions or would it be more of a pain than it is worth?

When my DD was 3YO I always brought an umbrella stroller because she was very cool about using it (heck she's 16YO and I think if she could be pushed around in a stroller she'd still be cool with it!). Other kids won't want to use it. Then it is a hassle.

I always, always, always brought some crystalized ginger (think baking department or organtic section of grocery). For just a "little" queezy it helps, and it is invaluable as a "bridge" between the queezy and when the sea sickness meds actually kick in.

A "lovey" or something familiar/comforting from home to help transitions.

Familar snacks -- something easily portioned. A small snack while getting ready for dinner will make waiting in line and/or waiting to be served easier.

quiet, stay still activities - movies on your iPod (with ear buds), books, play figurines, sticker books, puzzles, etc. -- things to keep them occupied while you are waiting.

Hope you all have a great time.

There IS a lot of walking on a cruise AND in ports.....if she uses a stroller at home, bring it! You can always use it to haul your purchases/stuff, if she won't sit in it! I doubt the kids will have motion problems..most younger kids aren't affected by motion too badly.

ITA that you need to know your kids. Last year DS2 was 3yrs and we left the stroller behind in the car at the airport (we were really undecided) but it was the best decision we made. He loves riding on my back in the Ergo carrier, so we had a way of transporting him around in port when he got tired or in the airports to keep him from getting run over by crowds. Personally I would leave the stroller in a heartbeat, but that's me.

Definitely bring a good pharmacy, you never know when it will come in handy. I like carrying some spray polysporin and band aids while in port, to deal with skinned knees and the likes.

A few other things I find handy: small refillable water bottle, individually packaged snacks, two bathing suits for each child, their "snuggie" for bed time and a few familiar toys and books to help them settle down at night. We also travel with a small night light, though we have yet to use it.

Bring some commercially prepackaged familiar snacks from home for shore excursions. We bring granola bars, hard candies, gummies and cheese & crackers. We also get cereal boxes from the breakfast buffet.

Do not bring off fruits, etc.

Another medication for seasickness/nausea is Benadryl. Talk to you doctor.

Next month will be our 3rd cruise, 2 with our daughter (7). She cruised her first time last year at age 6. Stroller was not an option really for us, familiar foods also was not an option as she craves seafood, be it mussels, shrimp, escargot, calimari...for snacking give her something with meat..burger etc.. She loves cruises because they have her foods...basically stuff unaffordable at home.

Now familiar item...yes, whatever books she has been reading and a favorite toy makes it along ( besides her bag of homework from school). I would say the key thing we try to do is too keep the daily routine as steady as possible...we try to eat Breakfast/Lunch and Dinner the same time as home and the same thing with bedtime (8:00), this means eating the earliest dinner possible, but all this keeps us (luckily) with a happy girl all day.

All good advice given previously.

On our last cruise my son was almost 3 (He previously cruised at 2 & 2 days) & we were not going to take the umbrella stroller, but he started to act up - wanted to be carried as we were waiting to go through the metal detectors - so I sent my husband back to the car for the stroller. We used it in port, so that was a very good call - for us.

Don't pack too much in the way of toys & amusements. The ship & kids programming is part of the experience - so chances are that they will not be terribly interested in more than their lovey. With that said, our next cruise is to Alaska & I am collecting small stuff mostly for the long plane & then train ride before we get onto the ship. (We have never brought stuff to the table while eating in the MDR - which we do for EVERY meal that it is open. So much easier than trying to corral a child at a buffet - even with a second adult. YMMV.)

Prepackaged snacks are good, but my son was fine with the Cheerios & since they are single serve boxes, we were able to take them off the ship. I would bring juice boxes or a water bottle for your time off the ship...

On our last cruise my son got seasick - but after the vomitting, he was fine. He even ate dinner & we took nice family photos after his bout with seasickness.

Various children's medicine- especially children's ibuprofen or tylenol. One of my kids got an ear infection a couple days into a cruise and it was of huge value until we got back to Miami (it was a short cruise or we may have visited the infirmary).

Also, sweatshirts, even if you're going in warm months. Some of the kids' camps keep their areas super cold.

I would not give your kids seasick meds unless they need them. I would say most likely they will not. Evn my dad who has inner ear problems did not have issues even when the pool was like a wave pool due to the rocking. Take them along just in case though.

When my youngest was three we took her lovey, a book (collection of fairy tales), and some crayons and paper. She was so busy that there was not time for anything else.

No stroller for us but we didn't even use it at Disneyland before the cruise so your needs might be different. Our kids can walk for hours and hours from a young age.

I didn't bring snacks from home either. There is always food available on the ship and you can take cereal from the buffet for excursions if you need too. We usually end up on a beach or a private driver so stopping for snacks is no big deal.

Pack half the clothes they need and let the ships laundry wash mid week. It's so much nicer to not deal with soooo much stuff.

Pack a sweater because it does get cold in the MDR, a night light, motrin and bandaids/antibiotic ointment.

I will second the light sweater my kids used theres in the theater at night. Also the cereal boxes are awsome to throw in the back pack for excursions. Don't pack to many toys. They are so busy they really don't need them. There is plenty to do and keep them entertained. An Ipod with a few tv shows should work.

I actually pack a few extra outfits. Like shorts and t's. I also pack extra undies for the whole family. With swimming and such you change clothes more often.

Oh and any meds you may need and what ever you use to take temps just in case.

Didn't see it mentioned so I'll add sunscreen... lots of it. Young skin burns very easily, especially in the caribbean sun. You'll want to reapply it often. I put it on my DD 2-3 times as often as applying to myself. Also get some sun-protective swimwear like what you might get from Tuga. A good sun hat will also go a long way for keeping a happy child.

Some really good suggestions on this thread, comfort items are huge! We usually grabbed some cherios from the buffet each morning to take with us into port as well. Also make sure you take (or have access to) plenty of water.

Not sure which cruise line you are taking, but on Carnival our DD loved doing the PJ parties after 10:00. Since she almost always wears nightgowns we had to make sure to pack pant/shirt pjs for her so she could do that. So if that's something your 5 year old would enjoy pack some PJs that (s)he can run around in.

If you have a balcony, take some binoculars. DD loved looking at other ships/islands with me on our balcony.

These posts are great! I am in the planning stage of our first family cruise -- my girls are (soon-to-be) 4 and 2.5 -- and I've got a couple of questions that I've kinda been wondering about.

We are sailing on the Inspiration in an OV room -- the bath is just a shower. Obviously we can get them clean, but, and please don't laugh, would it be unheard of to try and pack a small inflatable pool that we could use in the floor of the shower? My girls LOVE their bath time together and my almost 4 year old will stamp her foot "No, Mommy, not bedtime, it's bath time!" if I try and skip the bath on the rare day that we've just hung out at the house and I don't think they really need one. Anybody ever heard of doing such?

Also, do they still say "no no" to swim diapers even if it is just a splash type area? I've read other posts where people say they pack the inflatable pool to have on the deck, but I know my 2 year old will be disappointed big time if big sister goes and plays in the splash area and she can't. I will try my best in the mean time to get her potty trained, but you know how that can be sometimes.

These posts are great! I am in the planning stage of our first family cruise -- my girls are (soon-to-be) 4 and 2.5 -- and I've got a couple of questions that I've kinda been wondering about.

We are sailing on the Inspiration in an OV room -- the bath is just a shower. Obviously we can get them clean, but, and please don't laugh, would it be unheard of to try and pack a small inflatable pool that we could use in the floor of the shower? My girls LOVE their bath time together and my almost 4 year old will stamp her foot "No, Mommy, not bedtime, it's bath time!" if I try and skip the bath on the rare day that we've just hung out at the house and I don't think they really need one. Anybody ever heard of doing such?

Also, do they still say "no no" to swim diapers even if it is just a splash type area? I've read other posts where people say they pack the inflatable pool to have on the deck, but I know my 2 year old will be disappointed big time if big sister goes and plays in the splash area and she can't. I will try my best in the mean time to get her potty trained, but you know how that can be sometimes.

I've been thinking of bringing an inflatable mini tub for my son who will be 1, but to use by the pool area. The cruise line said absolutely, but some around this site were wondering where we'd dump that 'baby' water. To be honest, I have no clue. Guess thats something I'd have to ask the crew about, I'm sure they could assist with getting rid of it. My son being so little, I'm not talking about a heavy filled tub, just like 2 inches of water in a 2x2 square.

We have a tub in our cabin, but its a non issue bc both of our kids take showers. DH takes in the baby and just holds him, he loves it. And DD (4.5) does her own shower. All kids are different.

One of DD's weird quirks is she will absolutely not sleep in a room with other people awake in it. We don't feel like going to bed at 8:00 so we opted to get a suite for this reason.

Lots of sunscreen! And a sun-hat. Would they wear sunglasses?

When you pack to board the ship, make sure you have bathing suits for them in your carry-on. Luggage takes a while to get to the cabin. They will not be happy seeing other kids in the water if they cannot go as well!

Archived