Costa Maya, Chacchoben Ruins, Majahual - Easy to get to the Ruins

nonni22

Just got back from Costa Maya, {4/9/05) we did the ruins on our own, three older ladies (49,56,62). We also did Tullum, on our own. Chacchoben was the easiest to get to and the best. Just take the taxi ($3.00 to Majahual, and $2.00 back) The exit from the Cruise Port is not the easiest to find, just ask where the taxis to Majahual are located just behind the stores You are let out in Majahual, at the beginning of the town. Just walk straight ahead about a block, and you will see plenty of nice clean, air conditioned taxi cabs. The chief negotiator for the taxi drivers, who by the way could read English, told us the price was $100.00. The sheet I had printed out showed the price in February for taxis to the ruins was $45.00. The trip is 3 hours, 1 hour to get there, 1 hour taxi wait, and 1 hour back. I handed him the sheet that said $45.00 and he then started to deal. We settled on $60.00. We gave in, but $20.00 apiece was great. The ride was easy, main highway all the way, and the ruins were awesome. Drinks and chairs are at the entrance. ($3.00 USD entrance fee). This is a great trip, and shouldn‘t be missed. By the way, we beat the four tour buses, and were the first to arrive . No tourists in our pictures! Back to Majahual for $2.00 bottles of Mexican beer on the beach, under the coconut trees. Plenty of silver shops, but you need to deal. We paid less then half of the original prices quoted. Everyone was friendly. This is the real Mexico. If you are content to just stay at the port you will miss the best port of call on your itinerary.

:)

I printed the taxi prices. cut and paste, from several reviews on cruise critic and other cruise information sites. Starting in January forward, then I just printed what everyone had quoted that they paid. Everything from $40.00 to 48.00. The $100 prices have just started to appeared. I guess if we are willing to pay $100 they will charge it. Tullum is harder to get to. You have to take the ferry over to the mainland and coordinate all the times. We were rushed. The ship wasn't in port long enough. We thought the Chaachoben were much better.

Thanks Nonni. I"m sorry that I didn't explain my question about Tulum very well. I was wondering how these ruins compare physically and historically to Tulum. We have been to Tulum twice, and also have toured ruins in Rome, etc. We enjoy history and don't want to miss any spectacular ruins. I was hoping that the Miracle would offer a tour to Chitchen Itza, but it is not doing that. How do you think these ruins compare to other ones? Thanks so much!

We also would have loved to see Chitchen Itza, unfortunately it is too far for a one day tour. I guess you could fly there. Chaachoben Ruins are more like the pyramids than the ruins in Rome. We liked Chaachoben a lot better than Tulum, it was real authentic, not too touristy yet. It is right in the jungle, and in great condition. It should not to be missed, especially since you like history. I believe these ruins will be as visited as Chitchen Itza when the word gets out. I think they have only been public for a few years, and it was hard to get to from Cozumel, and Cancun. Now we have the Costa Maya Port!

Archived