Vancouver Hotel Help

Mare10

I'm overwhelmed with all the choices for hotels in Vancouver and am hoping for some opinions.

My friend and I will be spending one night pre-cruise and another post-cruise in Vancouver. Being two ladies we want to make sure we're in a safe area. We like nice hotels but not at the top end of the $$$ scale!

We will be arriving by Quick Shuttle from Seattle and returning to Seattle by Amtrak.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Marilyn :)

I'm overwhelmed with all the choices for hotels in Vancouver and am hoping for some opinions.

My friend and I will be spending one night pre-cruise and another post-cruise in Vancouver. Being two ladies we want to make sure we're in a safe area. We like nice hotels but not at the top end of the $$$ scale!

We will be arriving by Quick Shuttle from Seattle and returning to Seattle by Amtrak.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Marilyn :)

As long as you book in the downtown core (roughly west of BC Place Stadium) you should be fine.

We stayed in the Best Western Plus Sands in English Bay, it is a lovely area close to Stanley park, there are plenty of coffee shops, bars etc all around. You are just away from the hussle and bussle. There are buses right outside that go downtown if you want it. There are quite a few homeless people but it is not rough or intimidating. It is a beautiful city and i'm hoping to get back there myself in september.

I would suggest that you may care to look on the websites for Hyatt, Sheraton and Marriott for some discounted (but non-refundable) advanced booking rates. Another bet would be the Blue Horizon on Robson St. which is very popular with cruisers. Yet another option would be Hotwire, I noticed a 4* hotel on it this morning for $149 and I strongly suspect it is the Sheraton at Wall Centre....last season it and the Sutton Place were being had for about $135.

I stayed there with my husband who is disabled and walks slowly with a cane. I felt completely safe walking around the area. I figured we were pretty easy targets if someone wanted to rob us.

The hotel was very nice but I found the main restaurant to be a bit pricy for breakfast. Would stay there again if I ever go back to Vancouver.

What can you tell me about the St. Regis Hotel on Dunsmuir or Metropolitan Hotel on Howe St? TripAdvisor has them ranked pretty high and comments are favorable. Price is not cheap, but not outrageous. Any comments from past visitors are welcome.

Thanks!

What can you tell me about the St. Regis Hotel on Dunsmuir or Metropolitan Hotel on Howe St? TripAdvisor has them ranked pretty high and comments are favorable. Price is not cheap, but not outrageous. Any comments from past visitors are welcome.

Thanks!

The St. Regis is a remodel of a very old hotel, location is fine, has a Starbucks on the ground floor....but with everything being equal I think you would be much happier at the Metropolitan...I have been in some of the rooms and I know that is where I would want to stay.

Wow... we're getting some great tips! There are plenty to choose from. We may have narrowed it down to Blue Horizon or Georgiana Court. Opinions on those choices????

It really is kind of a pick'em you can't go wrong with either one...I would likely go with the Blue Horizon as it is just a little more in the mix of things from a locational point of view.

Thanks Putterdude for the advice. We ended up booking the Blue Horizon for both our pre and post cruise stays. It's refundable in case we come across some wonderful deal closer to our visit. As we continue to plan I'm sure we'll have more questions about Vancouver.

Marilyn

Hi,

Any views on the International Holiday Inn, near the airport? For a three night stay, is it close enough to transport re a bit of sightseeing? Is this area safe? ie if we have to make our own way back at night, from the city, after a tour.

Thanks, Jen

Hi,

Any views on the International Holiday Inn, near the airport? For a three night stay, is it close enough to transport re a bit of sightseeing? Is this area safe? ie if we have to make our own way back at night, from the city, after a tour.

Thanks, Jen

There is nothing wrong with the area but are you sure that you want to spend a minimum of 30 minutes commuting each way into downtown or further to see the sights?

Hi,

Thanks, Jen

I think you would be much happier to make the 30 minute trip into Vancouver once and spend your 3 days downtown.

Airport hotels...are airport hotels...are airport hotels.

Thanks Putterdude,

I went on this to give some advice about where I stayed last time, but I've got some really good tips from this thread, had a little look around the web and booked the Blue Horizon as well - are you on commission??:)

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Thanks for your advice. I can see that the 30 minute commute would be a hassle. The Blue Horizon is looking good atm, being more central. Do you think 3 days is enough after our cruise, before heading to the east coast? We have always heard only good reports of Vancouver from here in Oz, hence if more time would be beneficial, it seems silly not to add a couple more days.

Thankyou so much.

Jen

Thanks for your advice. I can see that the 30 minute commute would be a hassle. The Blue Horizon is looking good atm, being more central. Do you think 3 days is enough after our cruise, before heading to the east coast? We have always heard only good reports of Vancouver from here in Oz, hence if more time would be beneficial, it seems silly not to add a couple more days.

Thankyou so much.

Jen

IMO, 3 days would be adequate for seeing the sights in Vancouver. However, if you would also like to take a side trip to Vancouver Island or Whistler, I would stay longer if it's in your timeframe and budget.

I had the same attitude on our Med cruise. "I'm here, I might as well stay a little longer!" :D

Thanks again. Yes, Vancouver Island and Whistler are on the agenda. I agree also, why rush and possibly miss out on some sights that are within reach, so will look at adding a couple more days.

Cheers, Jen

Thankyou so much.

Jen

With your excursion plans to the Island and Whistler, then no 3 days are not enough time. I know Aussies come a long way for their "walk abouts" so I would allow 2 or 3 days for just Vancouver. You will love Whistler, during the ski season about 1/2 of the population is Aussie in fact the town celebrates January 26th as a national holiday and there really is much done the next day either.:D

We are leaving in June out of Vancouver for a Princess cruise. We booked the Days Inn - Downtown. The total price for 2 nights was $341.44. We saved $380 over booking at Pan Pacific (which I know it top of the line). Prices for hotels in Vancouver are really high. Good luck!

We are leaving in June out of Vancouver for a Princess cruise. We booked the Days Inn - Downtown. The total price for 2 nights was $341.44. We saved $380 over booking at Pan Pacific (which I know it top of the line). Prices for hotels in Vancouver are really high. Good luck!

This Days Inn has a great location for cruisers but it is a remodel of a much older hotel, I used to work next door to the hotel in 1964 and it was fairly old then. If not 100% committed to the hotel, I would suggest that you watch Hotwire and/or bid on Priceline.

Yes, hotel rates are expensive during the cruise season much as they are in Fort Lauderdale during the winter months. However, with the greatest respect, if you watch, there are better deals in nicer hotels in Vancouver. For instance in past few years I have got the Hyatt Regency and the Renaissance for <$135 by bidding on Priceline and the Sheraton at Wall Centre and the Sutton Place can often be had on Hotwire for about $135.

I am so tempted to bid on Priceline, but all of my research makes me think it is not the best gamble for a hotel room for three people. I have been reading all of these posts for a few months now, and mapping all of the hotels....but they are just SO expensive on the West End considering that we have to book rooms in Seattle and Anchorage as well.

I made a BIG mistake in 2009 booking the Best Western Chateau Granville. It was a nice hotel, and we loved the room; but walking at night to get something to eat was not a positive experience with all of the homeless people and drunks in the street hitting us up for handouts. There was only one hotel restaurant that didn't appeal to us, so we started to walk around to find something else to eat. We finally found a pizza place, but all of the way back to the hotel people were approaching us and asking for a piece. We heard sirens, shouting, and screaming all night in the streets. The police cars came by and made several arrests. Yikes! I do not want a hotel in that area again.

I have been looking by the airport because the prices are so much better. I realize it is not near downtown, but as long as it's in a safe area I don't mind boarding the Skytrain or bus. I only plan to sleep at the hotel. What do you Vancouverites (Putterdude) think about the Hampton Inn or La Quinta Inn at the airport? I know they're not luxury hotels, but will we feel safe there when it's time to sleep or find a place to eat?

I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

Sorry you had such a bad experience and the BW-Château Granville but what you experienced is exactly why I advise people to stay away from the Entertainment District. It is improving but the thought of all those less then sober people coming out of clubs in the wee hours of the morning is more than I can bare or is that bear and I was once part of that scene as an investor.

To the question, there nothing wrong with the hotels in Richmond so long as you realize that you are at least 30 mins away from centre ice...which is not all bad if you are only there for the night before your cruise...more than that I would advise downtown.

I can appreciate peoples' discomfort in biding on Priceline albeit doesn't bother me in the least. My next suggestion would be to watch Hotwire, if you see a 4* or 5* hotel in Vancouver-Downtown West at or under $150....then I would grab it with giving it a second thought.

Wow! You are quick to respond Putterdude! Thank you! I wouldn't think twice about bidding on Priceline if it weren't for the fact that there are three of us in one room. If there were only two of us, it would be a no-brainer. I would love to stay in one of the four star hotels at the West End at Priceline prices...if only there were some way to assure that we would all have a bed.

We are only staying one night pre-cruise, so the airport is looking fairly attractive....but we are arriving by train, which from reading some of your other posts is about a $35 cab fare to the airport, and then another $35 cab fare back to Canada Place the next morning, right? That would just about justify at least staying at the Hampton Inn Vancouver Downtown that costs $100 more per night than the one by the airport.

We have some friends who are going to stay two nights in Vancouver, who are trying to save money on the hotel too. Even though the airport is so far away from downtown, I was thinking the airport would be a good option for them because I read there was a SkyTrain station very close to the La Quinta by the airport. Would they be able to get to Stanley Park on the SkyTrain, or would there be any other sort of public transit to get them there?

Archived