Luftikid travel car seat 9months - 7 years

Slackermommy

I have been looking for a solution for my 2 1/2 year old and came across this seat that was designed in germany. Since a lot of you are looking for something portable as well, I thought I would throw this out there in the community.

By the way, anyone out there try this?

http://www.kidstravelsafely.com/luftikid.html

Description:

Is a unique german designed Inflatable child restraint system which uses the concept of airbag safety for lap belt and three-point belt use for use in cars and other vehicles.

It accommodates kids from ages 9 months to 7 years - the removable U-shaped seatback provides lateral protection for babies and kids under 4.

Luftikid Easy to store and to take abroad (weighs only 1,2 kg / 2,6 lbs.)

LUFTIKID® is crash tested and approved:

ECE R44/03 (UNO and DUO)

Comes with its own carry bag and air pump for quick inflate

While some European practices (like extended rear facing) are great, this one is not one of them. First of all, at least in Canada, seatbelts do not engage unless there is 40lbs of child against the belt, so I have no idea how a 9 month old would engage the ELR in a collision. Second, the child would also be forward facing, again in Canada our new standards say at least 22lbs and walking independently, the car seat tech organization is promoting at least 18 months.

I am not a fan oaf anything blow up, as if the seat is punctured before the actual impact, the seat becomes useless.

You are better off using a seat you know how to install and use, and that you have confidence will protect your child. I always say I trust my car seats more than I trust the health care systems in many countries that we visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there ;-)

I can answer your question because I'm not only selling it for years I have also used it for our 3 children for over 10 years... (not all at the same time ;-))

And you get franc answers... no selling anwers.

1st. the luftikid is only certified in and for the european union. it may not be used as a child restraint by u.s. or canadian citizens when traveling "at home". It is (as far as I have learned) however tolerated by u.s. authorities for european families travelling on vacation in the u.s.

2nd. the other comment is correct that it has next to no side impact protection and has therefore been degraded in tests conducted by the adac (german mva). however, it is a light weight inflatable TRAVEL SAFTETY device which can and (in my understanding) should not be compared directly with heavey hard shell child seats. you can lift it with you small finger and carry it along in a small light bag. so we tell parents to use it in the rear center seat in a car or in buses, taxis, motor homes or wherever they have a 2 point belt or 3 point belt and no big child seat around or a situation where the big seat can not be fitted.

see for yourself what a LUFTIKID CAN DO here

(Luftikid slide test in aircraft seats showing dummies of different sizes)

(Luftikid in a bus crash test conducted recently by the TCS (swiss mva). comments in french language.)

then decide if it is any good for the use you might want to use it for.

3rd. Luftikid DUO is sold out Luftikid UNO still available

The difference between the Luftikid DUO and the Luftikid UNO is that the DUO was certified for aircraft use and has two pressure valves that release pressure during climbing and in the case of loss of cabin pressure. With the UNO the parents have to release pressure manually and insure that the Luftikid is fairly soft on cruising altitude. For both systems upon descending they have to be pumped before the final landing approach so they are in good shape. Both systems were certified to the ECE R 44/03 regulation for use in motor vehicles in the Eurpean Union. Luftikid UNO is still available.

What else?

If you need safety only onboard of an aircraft you should rather use the www.kidsflysafe.com CARES harness. We recommend them in Europe as an alternative to the Luftikid but the are FOR AIRCRAFT ONLY and can be harmfull if used in motor vehicles. To fly safely with your kid they are more widely accepted in many airlines all over the world due to their FAA certification and many approvals like Transport Canada etc.

If you travel with your kid to far off places and you want your kid to be safe in aircrafts AND vehicles and you cannot take a heavy car seat, then a LUFTIKID can be maybe the best solution around.

I hope I can help you with this detailed information and wish you safe travel wherever you go and whatever you use ;-)

Father of 3 "Lufti-Kids" ;-))

Instruction: (german / english vehicle and aircraft)

http://www.luftikid.eu/Instruction_LUFTIKID_D-E_aircraft.pdf

Archived