Getting around in Galveston???

Mango Mike

Been to Galveston many times before on land based vacations - love the area and the people. WOW!! didn't think taking a cruise out of Galveston was going to be such a headache :eek:.

I think I've finally got "most" everything taken care of for our February cruise on the Mariner. Flying into Hobby the day before (Saturday), have round trip transfers to/from Hobby and Galveston via Cornerstone Elite, and finally found a relatively inexpensive place to stay that Saturday night (due to the Mardi Gras festivities going on at this time, most places were already booked or waaay out of my price range - staying at the "Inn at the Waterpark", hope it's okay).

Now, here's my question - since Enterprise rental car closes at noon on Saturday and is closed all day on Sunday, we're looking for a way to get around Galveston to see the sites a bit, dining, etc. - what options do I have?

I have done a little investigative research and am considering renting a street legal golf cart - a little pricey but something to consider.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or comments regarding the golf cart idea?

Thanks

Been to Galveston many times before on land based vacations - love the area and the people. WOW!! didn't think taking a cruise out of Galveston was going to be such a headache :eek:.

I think I've finally got "most" everything taken care of for our February cruise on the Mariner. Flying into Hobby the day before (Saturday), have round trip transfers to/from Hobby and Galveston via Cornerstone Elite, and finally found a relatively inexpensive place to stay that Saturday night (due to the Mardi Gras festivities going on at this time, most places were already booked or waaay out of my price range - staying at the "Inn at the Waterpark", hope it's okay).

Now, here's my question - since Enterprise rental car closes at noon on Saturday and is closed all day on Sunday, we're looking for a way to get around Galveston to see the sites a bit, dining, etc. - what options do I have?

I have done a little investigative research and am considering renting a street legal golf cart - a little pricey but something to consider.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or comments regarding the golf cart idea?

Thanks

Check with Moody Gardens next door.

If they have affiliation, you may have access to town.

If not maybe work something out with them

if they have services to town.

Taxi or Goft cart is certainly a way to go.

Mardi Gras is a must do!

• 6 months later...

How are the buses on the island? Are they convenient, and do they take you to good locations?

I will be sailing out of Galveston at least once in 2013, maybe a second time in the fall. I don't want to deal with Enterprise, so I will be shuttled down to the island. If I come down a few days early, I wanted to be able to get around.

• 4 weeks later...

I booked a one way rental from Enterprise for our cruise in March. Pick up at Hobby on Friday and drop off on Sunday at their office in Galveston. Price was $143.00 for a mid size car and they did not charge an extra fee for the one way rental. Thought that was more than reasonable. This has to be done with an agent over the phone it is not possible to do the drop off in Galveston via an internet booking.

The island is not huge, so taking a taxi from one point to another is never very expensive. For instance, if you were staying at the Galvez on the seawall, the approx. Yellow Cab fare to get to the cruise terminal is $7.52. Staying on the seawall would put you (depending on exactly where you chose) within walking distance of restaurants, the each, souvenir shopping, amusements such as the Pleasure Pier. Then to get to other places you can take a taxi, or utilize the Island Transit buses.

Here's a good starting point for transportation info:

http://www.galveston.com/maps/

-gina-

Archived