Excursion suggestions requested...

coastn2

We are 2 couples with 2 high-school graduates (boys) sailing in June from Tampa to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. The boys and 1 adult love to snorkel, but 3 adults don’t snorkel… We’d all like to see the coral, fish and sting rays--are there tours in which non-snorkelers can see stuff and tour with our snorkelers without snorkel rental fees (i.e., without full-price for excursions for those of us who don't snorkel) All suggestions about excursions in these ports are appreciated!

I think to see these animals you have to pay for an excursion unless you are planning to just look from the beach. You could call some independent snorkeling excursion vendors and ask if the non-snorkelers can get on the boat and look into the water, but I can't imagine you'd be able to see very much that way.

If you are willing to pay for an excursion, there are a lot of other options.

For example, you can stand on the Stingray City sandbar (between knee and waist high) and easily put your hands in the water to play with the rays. You can also take an underwater sub ride in Cozumel to see the sea life without having to swim or snorkel. Both of these would be considered excursions and will cost money, but I think it's worth it.

Thanks so much for your reply! We expect to pay for any excursion (just didn't want to pay for snorkel rentals for those of us not snorkeling). At your suggestion, I'll check into the underwater sub ride in Cozumel, and see about StingRay City tour options. If you have any suggestions for Belize or Roatan excursions, please advise. :) Thanks, again!

Thanks so much for your reply! We expect to pay for any excursion (just didn't want to pay for snorkel rentals for those of us not snorkeling). At your suggestion, I'll check into the underwater sub ride in Cozumel, and see about StingRay City tour options. If you have any suggestions for Belize or Roatan excursions, please advise. :) Thanks, again!

My first thought of a sea life excursion in Roatan without swimming would be one of the dolphin interaction excursions. I know there are some where you stand in the water and the dolphins interact with you without you having to swim. ( Just looked it up, here is one- http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/dolphins/beach_encounter.html )

I don't have anything for Belize. Ziplining, cave tubing (FYI- water can be deep), and Mayan ruins seem to be the big attractions at this port. We're going for the first time in March. Diving and snorkeling is also available, but even those excursions are a 45 min boat ride away from the ship!

Captain Marvin's is a MUST. Just a few blocks from the embarkment terminal. They are savvy on the cruise schedules and will show you an excellent time at a reasonable price. They have a package photo deal which is kinda pricey, but the photos are fantastic and alleviate the need to lug around a waterproof camera. You pay and they burn a photo CD for you by the end of the trip. I have used this company twice and have been 100% pleased each time and would certainly use them again.

If you are going to Cozumel, my suggestion would be to go to Chankanaab.

It is beautiful there with a lot to do. They have a HUGE beach with plenty of room. There is snorkeling there, there is a lagoon there with iguanas walking around. There is a self-guided tour there that takes to to replica mayan ruins. Then they have swimming with the dolphins or manatees. The ones that don't want to do the snorkeling or swimming with the animals, can lay on the beach, take the self-guided tour, watch the sea lion show, swim in the pool there, eat at the restaurants. Tons for a family of all ages and interest there.

Here's my review on the park (with links at the bottom of the review to all of my pictures): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

Here is my review with the dolphins (located there at the park): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

Archived