Oasis: My Time or Traditional Dining?

weisla

Sailing on Oasis 3.10.12 w/DH - I can't wait! I just booked show reservations around our preferred 8:30 traditional seating. We are night owls and usually eat at 8:30 and go to the 10:30 or later shows/events. I'm realizing its going to be tough to fit in the 10:30 shows and the other events we'd like to attend (Love & Marriage, Quest, parties, etc.).

Can anyone share experiences with MTD on Oasis? If we prefer to eat later is it really difficult to get a reservation or seating w/out a reservation? Am I correct to think it will be difficult to fit in everything we'd like to do around an 8:30 seating? We prefer to eat a sit down dinner and avoid the buffet. We'll also consider trying several of the specialty restaurants, so we could always book those on nights when we have a conflict - are advance reservations important for the restaurants?

Sailing on Oasis 3.10.12 w/DH - I can't wait! I just booked show reservations around our preferred 8:30 traditional seating. We are night owls and usually eat at 8:30 and go to the 10:30 or later shows/events. I'm realizing its going to be tough to fit in the 10:30 shows and the other events we'd like to attend (Love & Marriage, Quest, parties, etc.).

Can anyone share experiences with MTD on Oasis? If we prefer to eat later is it really difficult to get a reservation or seating w/out a reservation? Am I correct to think it will be difficult to fit in everything we'd like to do around an 8:30 seating? We prefer to eat a sit down dinner and avoid the buffet. We'll also consider trying several of the specialty restaurants, so we could always book those on nights when we have a conflict - are advance reservations important for the restaurants?

We have just come back from a week on Allure - which is similar to Oasis. There is just so much to do and the shows and speciality restaurants get packed out quickly, so advance planning is best. We liked the greater flexibility of MyTime dining. You can also book this in advance on the website, so it is possible to adjust your dinner time to suit your entertainment plans.

I'd have to advocate for MTD for a couple of reasons. For 10:30 show, you may want to be headed in the direction of the venue about 1/2 hour ahead, to get decent seats and to allow time to make your way across the ship. With regular dining it could take up to 2 hours, and you are dependent on the others at your table to be on time and eat on the same pace as you. With MTD, you can choose to sit alone when you have a tight timeframe and can set your own pace ( including skipping courses if you choose). Also we never had a MTD dinner go longer than 1.5 hours even with 4 of us.

I agree that MTD works great with the Oasis. My family did the late 8:30 dining, which foced many of their shows to be after 10:30pm. Too late for me. MTD gave me flexibility to work around the show schedules better. Dinner is served faster too. If you make set reservations, like we did 7:30, it works wonderful without waiting!

MTD was the only option when we booked our Allure cruise in October. We weren't very happy about it. However, we quickly changed our mind the first night. We LOVED it. We booked the times around our port or things we had to do. We also never had a dinner that lasted longer than 1.5 hours, most around an hour. We never felt rushed, however. We booked Oasis while onboard and chose MTD for that cruise. I can't see us going back to Traditional.

Archived