Has anyone done this?

NHcruisergirl

My husband, son and I love Chankanaab in Cozumel and have gone there everytime we have cruised. This time my husband wants to rent a jeep to cruise the island and see a little more. Is this safe? I have heard horror stories from the cab drivers about the scooters and would not consider those but what about jeeps/cars? Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

Just bring plenty of cash if any damage to the vehicle. The police can hold you until all parties are satisfied.

No need to bring plenty of cash, but you should always purchase full insurance.

We always rent a car in Mexico and in Cozumel it's a great way to see the island! Have fun. :)

My husband, son and I love Chankanaab in Cozumel and have gone there everytime we have cruised. This time my husband wants to rent a jeep to cruise the island and see a little more. Is this safe? I have heard horror stories from the cab drivers about the scooters and would not consider those but what about jeeps/cars? Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

The cab drivers would probably try to scare you away from anything but a taxi. It is good for business !!;):D

We've done this twice - once we rented a jeep, the other time a van since there were 6 of us. It is very easy to drive around the island. It's just a big circle. As everyone else has said, buy the insurance. And also when you pick up the vehicle, make sure they note any existing damage.

The "other" side of Cozumel is beautiful. Stop by El Mirador to see the waves crashing on the rocks. Coconuts is a fun place to go for drinks and lunch. Punta Sur park has a lighthouse you can climb. If you want to see some Mayan ruins, you can go to San Gervasio. It's nice to see more of the island.

We rented a Jeep on our own. We had our 3 year old twins in the back. They LOVED it. We LOVED it. We cruised all the way around the island, stopping where we wanted.

I can't remember which company we used, but it seemed like it was a national chain.

We passed a lot of other Jeep Excursions. We were so glad we were on our own and didn't have to follow anyone else.

Like others have said....get the most insurance you can!

Have fun!

Snuqueen

We rented a car in Cancun, just across the channel, and had no problems. We did get all of the insurance. It wasn't in as good as shape as a rental car you'd in the US but it was comfortable and had AC. We both drive stick so that was not a problem for us, but as I remember, it is significantly more money to rent an auto transmission.

My girlfriend and I rented a scooter. 2 full grown adults on 1 scooter was quite an adventure. It isn't something I would describe as "safe" but it was a lot of fun. The big road around the island was practically deserted so there was no real traffic to worry about until we got to the portion through downtown. The only real problem was that the brakes just weren't prepared for the weight of 2 adults so stopping was kind of a challenge at times.

We are going again at the beginning of Feb and are planning on getting either 2 scooters or a jeep this time. The road around the island is beautiful and being able to take it at your own pace and stop whenever you want is really a lot of fun.

Archived