Deputy Captain Robert Camby

bobby1119

Does anyone presently on board know if Robert Camby is still the deputy captain?

I know that he was recently promoted to Captain and was scheduled to go over to P&O for his first command.

I was delighted to hear about his good news and was hoping that he will still be on board when I join Queen Mary 2 on January 3.

I had the pleasure of dining at the table he hosted two years ago during two segments of a three segment roundtrip transatlantic/Norway cruise from New York.

Does anyone presently on board know if Robert Camby is still the deputy captain?

I know that he was recently promoted to Captain and was scheduled to go over to P&O for his first command.

I was delighted to hear about his good news and was hoping that he will still be on board when I join Queen Mary 2 on January 3.

Rumour has it that he will be master of the Oriana on her World Cruise next week.

I had the pleasure of dining at the table he hosted two years ago during two segments of a three segment roundtrip transatlantic/Norway cruise from New York.

he is still onboard and believe he is staying on until the world cruise is over

• 2 weeks later...

I stand corrected ! ( from my above post).... I've just dissembarked QM and the Deputy Captain for the east bound crossing of the 3rd Jan was 'Martin Allen'.

I understand Rob joined P&O just before Christmas.

Bell Boy:)

• 2 weeks later...
He is indeed. We were at his cocktail party last night. He's a dead ringer for John Travolta (as was) which should keep the women happy.

I think he looks rather more like a mature version of Taylor Lautner. No matter what, I was thrilled for him to be promoted to the rank of Captain.

After he does his time with P & O, I hope he returns to Queen Mary 2 as Captain.

• 2 months later...

we had the joy of sailing on Oriana with robert on the hong kong to san francisco sectors. in jan/feb 2012. i believe he is on the same ship this summer before becoming a deputy captain on a bigger p&o ship (poss ventura) as part of his development plan.

An excellent captain with remarkable interpersonal skills for one so young. Minor irritation is his enthusiasm to bing bong the pa system into your cabin at 0730 when you know you won't get a tender until 1030! In mumbai this resulted in 1500 people joining a queue for face to face interviews when most would still have been asleep. The queue went the full length of the ship!:)

Archived