Driving tour for the day in Quebec

itsanita

We will be in Quebec for 2 days in Oct. off the Summit.

We plan on renting a car for the first day, and taking a guided tour/buggy tour etc and exploring the city on foot the second day. We will buy a guide book with walking tours, so we are ok there.

But other than knowing we want to see the Falls and would like to drive over to ile d'Orlenas, I don't know where else to go...what we would have time for? We are not too interested in shopping, but would rather see the area. Can any of you give us some suggetions for a 'driving tour' of the area? We are over night on the ship, so we have pretty much all day and evening.

thanks

• 2 months later...

I didn't get any takers on this.

The car is rented for our 1st day in Quebec, but we are not sure where we can go and how much we can cover in that one day. Our ship stays over night, so we have all day and early evening. We will walk around Quebec city the 2nd day.

Has anyone done a driving tour? ANy suggestions as to routes to take etc.

We happened to be in Quebec City yesterday on a day not fit for skiing, so we decided for the first time in twenty or so visits to check out Montmorency Falls and Ile D'Orleans. You can drive up to Montmorency Manor and walk to the bridge over the falls. You would only have to pay parking (free yesterday). However, the falls were not all that spectacular in my opinion. I have seen them many times from below and had no surprise seeing them up close. If you have a car then they may be worth a few minutes.

Then we drove the whole way around Ile D'Orleans. This took under two hours, but there was no traffic and we did not stop anywhere. This would be lovely in spring, summer and fall when everything is open. There are lots of galleries, artisans, farm stores (fruit, wine, maple syrup, cheese, etc.), restaurants, etc. You see lots of wonderful houses and cottages with typical Quebec style architecture. There are several parks for walking. I hope to get back there in the summer sometime.

Another great place to visit would be Baie Saint Paul in the Charlevoix area. You could easily go there and back in a day and would see some lovely countryside, especially if the leaves are turning colour. This town is famous as an artists' colony and has many of the same things as Ile D'Orleans in a more concentrated area.

However you may find that there is plenty to do for two days in Quebec.

Archived