Cape Liberty, Bayonne, NJ

middvillmom

This will be our first cruise and I will be cruising out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ in July. Wanted to know what to expect once I arrive at the terminal. I've heard from other cruisers, that the check-in terminal is not located in the same location as the ship. There is a bus that takes you on a 3 min ride to the ship after check-in. Is it a pretty fast turn-around once checked in and off to the boat? Once at the boat, do they let you board at once or have to wait till check in time

Also, I plan on leaving my house at 10:30 on cruise day, arriving at port around 11:15. What time do the ships usually start boarding and is 11:15 a good time for arrival. I also heard that drop off at terminal can be up to 1 hr. wait on line to get terminal entrance for drop-off.

Thanks for any advice / help.:)

Ok, here is how it works. If you are arriving by bus or taxi you will pull up to the ugly little terminal building (more like a big tent), your luggage will be taken by the Longshoreman (who expect a tip if you are in a taxi or car) and you will go under the roof where you will wait in line (still outside...which means its cold in the winter). Eventually you will enter into the real building where you will go through security (like the airlines) and have your carry-on x rayed. While this is happening you will be given a short form to complete saying you are not sick (if you are sick you need to lie or you might not be allowed on the ship). Once you have cleared security you will be directed to a check-in line (or told to wait) and the first question will be "may I have your credit card." Once they have checked your credit card and Passport (or other appropriate ID) you will get you cruise card which is your room key and your on-board charge card. At that point you will be told to be seated until they call your color (or number) at which point you will go out the other end of the building and board a bus that will take you the 1 min ride to the ship. Once at the ship you exit the bus, walk up the gangplank, have your cruise card swiped, and then you are on the ship (they will hand you a glass of very cheap sparkling wine). At this point, if the cabins are already cleaned (often not until about 1 pm) you can go directly to your cabin to drop your carry-on luggage. Otherwise, you (and your carry-on) can go up the elevator to lunch or to any other public space on the ship...until they announce its OK to go to your cabin (usually about 1 pm).

There will be a daily schedule in your cabin (and you might also be given a copy when you check-in) which tells you what is happening and what time they have the safety drill (lifeboat drill). Between the time you board and the lifeboat drill your time is your own so you can eat or just wander around the ship.

Hank

This will be our first cruise and I will be cruising out of Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ in July. Wanted to know what to expect once I arrive at the terminal. I've heard from other cruisers, that the check-in terminal is not located in the same location as the ship. There is a bus that takes you on a 3 min ride to the ship after check-in. Is it a pretty fast turn-around once checked in and off to the boat? Once at the boat, do they let you board at once or have to wait till check in time

Also, I plan on leaving my house at 10:30 on cruise day, arriving at port around 11:15. What time do the ships usually start boarding and is 11:15 a good time for arrival. I also heard that drop off at terminal can be up to 1 hr. wait on line to get terminal entrance for drop-off.

The vehicle line to get to the terminal to start the process can be an hour long. After my one and only cruise on Explorer, I might wait until later, like 2 pm, to try to board. At 11:15 on debarkation day, we were still in the big tent area trying to get a taxi to the airport. Buses were still picking up debarking passengers.

On embarkation, we sat in the line of cars and taxis for an hour until about noon. By the time we ended up getting on the bus to the ship for the 1000 foot ride, it was more like 1:30. Uggh.

We've cruised out of Cape Liberty 6 times. Arriving at 11:15 is perfect. I don't know which ship you are sailing on, but our experience with Explorer is that boarding usually begins about 12. When you arrive drop off your luggage and then park your car. The walk from the parking lot to the terminal is short, but if you have difficulty walking there is a shuttle bus that circulates around the parking lot that will take you to the terminal. Once you get back to the terminal you will need to show your passport or other ID to get in and go through security. After that there is the check-in line. None of this takes very long before 12. If you wait until the suggested arrival time of 2 pm, the lines will be much longer. One time we arrived at 12 and within 10 minutes we were on board eating lunch.

In June, we arrived at about 12:00 / 12:30 and within 30 minutes we were at the sky bar.

There are pictures of Bayonne cruise terminal in my review if interested.

While this is happening you will be given a short form to complete saying you are not sick (if you are sick you need to lie or you might not be allowed on the ship).

LOL - I once waited on line with a woman who was coughing (more like hacking) and blowing her nose the entire time, her eyes were red and it was clear she was ill. When an employee asked her (quite compassionately, I thought, not in an accusing way) if she was feeling alright she looked at him, completely deadpan, and said "I'm hung over". He moved on.

Archived