In your opinion: Camp Carnival's "Adjustment" tolerance?

MentalVacation

Ok, I've been reading on here quite a bit since we booked our cruise. I have a 2 yo and 5 yo who go to the same daycare center preschool. The 2 yo just started in Oct when she turned 2. She had a tough couple weeks with drop off and being upset. I am nervous that she is going to have similar anxiety with CC. It doesn't last long, but I seem to recall reading on here that they won't let you leave a child that is crying.

Is this 100% accurate? No tears?

Please don't think me heartless. She gets over it and is absolutely 100% fine and plays and has a ball (I called about every hour the first week she was there) but she does have a....dramatic streak....and I am worried we'll never get her past the first separation if they have a 100% no-tears policy. I have no intention of leaving her there if she is truly miserable, and we plan to do the day 1 intro/sign up/orientation.

I'm pretty sure they will give her a bit of time to "calm down", if she should throw a fit....if she NEVER stops crying, of course, they'll call you...but that doesn't sound like your daughter!

Don't stress about it....I can almost guarantee that other children have had some tears the 1st day!!!

no -- that isn't her. :) she can bring the tears and drama but it is about 10% anxiety and 90% show. Once mom/dad leave....she is usually fine within 5 minutes or so. I hope it isn't an issue. I think she'll be fine. She and her brother will be in the same age group, and I think that will help.

I have read on another thread that tears are ok. I am also worried about my 2 1/2 year old. One poster said she dropped off DD and she was crying but you can leave and stand outside the room and they have a video monitor that you can watch to be sure she calms down. She wont even see you. I thought that was pretty cool.

I read on another thread that they will give her a few minutes to settle down after you leave and only call you if she never stops crying. Something in the ballpark of 15-30 minutes ???? But I could be wrong on that. Hope she enjoys CC!

For a couple of years (2-4), my daughter turned in an Academy-Award-winning hissy-fit every time we left her anywhere (one would assume we were leaving her behind in a lion's den) ....which apparently lasted until the door closed behind us and then instantly all was sunshine and roses. Almost all kids are fine once they realize nobody's impressed with their performance. As they say...."Save your drama for your mama." She lived through it.....and was flying by herself when she was five.

Hello, I can tell you that I cruised on the Carnival dream in March of 2011 and I was not allowed to leave my 2 year old crying. If he started to even walk towards the door they would call us back. It was a joke. My son sounds like your daughter he is fine once we leave. I honestly think he figured out if he cried we would never leave him on the boat. So, we spent the entire week long cruise with a 2 year old attached to our hip. We aren't going back on carnival with him again till maybe he is older. IT could of just been our kids club staff hopefully.

I have cruised on RCCL also several times and we have never had a problem with this. In fact when my older son was younger he would

crywhen we would pull him out of the club.

Good luck. You will have a great time no matter what.

We went on the Sensation shortly after my tiwns turned 2. They have never been to daycare, so I had no idea how they would do.

Anna was fine. Erin was not. She cried when I left, but we hoped she would settle in a few minutes, as she does at her babysitter's. Well, she screamed nonstop until they finally called me to come get her. Hoping it was just a bad day, we tried again another day. Nope. After 30 minutes of nonstop crying, they called me.

YMMV, but at least that crew working that cruise were more than patient in my opinion. They gave her every chance to calm down before giving up.

My 3 year old was not feeling the daycare drop off 1 day and I left her while she is was fussing/crying for show and they let me drop off and run out while she screamed for me. I had the phone in case they needed me but once I walked out, she settled in fine.

I think it may depend on who is working the drop off and how they feel. It may be different for everyone.

They do have an open house for Camp, (and please remember, this is a Camp not childcare). It's usually from about 1 PM til safety drill once you board.

If you are worried, bring the child during the open house, let them meet the counselors and play around a bit. It may make the drop off a little easier the next day.

Archived