Most Memorable Moments

Btyson

:)

People cruise for all kinds of reasons! What is most special about a cruise you have taken? Look forward to reading your responses!

My first cruise, had no special reason other than I had not yet cruised. Next cruise, just wanted to have another great cruise experience and did. Im sorry OP, I cant say that I have had any great reasons for cruising, other than wanting to enjoy some days at sea, and visiting some great cruise destinations. I just have loved every cruise I have taken, and now looking toward my eigth cruise later this year.. There has been something special about each and every cruise I have taken, but each have been different. Most special things of cruises have been meeting some very great folks and staying in touch many years after cruise. Also, have met some wonderful people in the ports of call, and have in one case stayed in touch with one person. So many more reasons...but message will go on and on.

My first cruise was because my sister had it on her bucket list and didn't want to go alone. The second one was my friend was jealous that I went with my sister and wanted to take one too. This cruise is the same group of people going (a couple gets a bunch of people and books them together) so two of my sisters are going along. Best part of a cruise? For me I love the ocean, being on a DECENT beach (in Nebraska, they call the sand next to a lake a beach) and meeting interesting people. I love going to the dining room for breakfast, they seat you at a table with whoever is already sitting there, and you can talk to someone from anywhere about anything. Right up my alley, I'll talk to anyone about anything. I also paint, so I take lots of photos. LOTS of photos.

My second cruise was my parents 60th anniversary, and so they and all their kids (3) went along. It was great fun, and I dearly love traveling with my family. My sister and I did have to leave our DHs at home, and room together, but it was a wonderful trip anyway. That was a special trip to us for sure.

Mine, was my first cruise also.

I was talking on the Lido deck with another Widow about our late husbands, and a little brown bird flew down and perched on my shoulder. There was no food on the table at the time, either. Unfortunately, I jumped, and it flew off.

I do believe it was the spirit of my late husband, saying it is ok to enjoy myself. I felt at peace the rest of the cruise.

Melanie

Mine, was my first cruise also.

I was talking on the Lido deck with another Widow about our late husbands, and a little brown bird flew down and perched on my shoulder. There was no food on the table at the time, either. Unfortunately, I jumped, and it flew off.

I do believe it was the spirit of my late husband, saying it is ok to enjoy myself. I felt at peace the rest of the cruise.

Melanie

Amazing! Glad you shared this. My most memorable moment, and a story I love to tell took place two years ago. Two cruises ago my wife and I were in Cozumel shopping. Over the previous six months we had been trying to start our family. Without any success yet we had decided leave it in the hands of the Lord and hadn't given it much thought for the few weeks prior to our cruise. While walking in Mexico we just felt led to buy a pregnancy test in one of the local pharmacies. We returned to the ship and my wife prepared the test. As we waited on the balcony, we watched the Conquest set sail from Cozumel. The sunset was beautiful. We went back inside to look at the test, not expecting to see a positive, but it would have been a little fun nonetheless. It took us several minutes to decipher the Spanish instructions lol, but sure enough my wife was pregnant with our now 16 month old son!!! This has been one of our most memorable moments on a cruise and I love to tell this story. I truly believe cruising is in his blood and he just returned from his first cruise to the Bahamas. :) First of many, of course.

163554169NrClkl_th.jpg

My first cruise was also a Solo Cruise, that was taken after my 1st Open Heart surgery. My Aorta has been dissected 3 different times for Aneurysms. My Aorta has now been replaced with grafted material, including the Assending, the Arch, and the Descending that runs down near your spine. I had contacted Carnival, and had a letter from my doctor. The ship doctor on duty, and the captain both checked on me several times. That was so nice of them. I met so many nice people on that cruise, who all made sure I was ok. I even danced some. I was kind of young then, and had no fear. I will never forget that cruise. When I returned, I sent a letter to the President of CCL at that time, Bob Dickerson, telling him funny things that happened on that cruise, and letting him know how his officers went out of their way to help me. He sent a wonderful letter back to me, with his private secretarys' phone number, with instructions to call her whenever i cruised again. Every cruise after that was made special by his staff. He is no longer CEO, but I will never forget his kindness.

People cruise for all kinds of reasons! What is most special about a cruise you have taken? Look forward to reading your responses!

Btyson,

My wife and I went on our first cruise in 1989 for our honeymoon. Everything about that cruise was special; I remember every detail even though at the time I didn't have a single clue about what to expect nor when to expect it.

When we first boarded and walked inside I was astounded at the size and beauty of her (Premier Starship Majestic).

When we went to our cabin our steward walked in and introduced himself and then became a ninja; every time we left the room he cleaned it. No matter how long we were gone he somehow managed to enter, clean, and leave again without being seen. I even tried to catch a glimpse of him and failed.

We were on deck for sailaway and had to constantly keep looking down and out around us to tell we were moving. It was hard to imagine that something so big could move so gracefully.

The food. Wow! It seemed like we were offered every option ever invented and I tried to sample everything and failed miserably! The presentation of the food was beyond anything I had ever seen or imagined. Who carves watermelons and ice into sculptures just for one meal?

Boarding tenders..... The whole concept of stepping off a huge ship onto a two deck tender was tough to grasp, but once we boarded the tender I was very pleased to have that experience.

Premier's private island was what I always imagined a Caribbean paradise to be. We returned to the island on our twenty year anniversary cruise on Carnival Destiny and were pleased to see it is returning to it's former pristine shape.

Sorry. I knew when I started this reply that I couldn't answer your question with one or two sentences. I'll stop now and just say that the entire cruise was beyond special.

My most special memory or moment from cruises since then was watching my sons reactions when they saw the ship they were about to sail and again once they stepped inside the atrium and looked around them. Similar moments occured when they walked out on Lido, saw the pizza bars, and the ice cream machines. Watching the looks of amazement on their faces was absolutely priceless. Our three sons are all Platinum now and we'll be embarking on our fifth Carnival Liberty cruise in April so the looks I'll see in their faces will be less amazed and more content perhaps. Content is good too though.

For me the best reason to cruise is that I leave my problems and stress at the pier. I stay away from the internet cafe and call or text no one. That way I can't do anything about anything so I just relax and enjoy myself. And nobody will contact me from home unless an extreme emergency occurs.

A favorite cruise for me was a few years ago. We cruised to Bermuda for Mom's 80th birthday in August. My dh, 3 kids and one fiance, Mom's two sisters, my uncle, cousin and her son were all together to celebrate. Mom became ill that September and passed in November, so that cruise is our last memory of her happy, laughing and with the people she loved most in this world. THAT time is what I look back on when I think of her, not her illness that followed. For that I am grateful!

My first cruise.

Easter weekend 1978- Was engaged to a great guy. 20years old. Thought I had it all. My fiance' had gone sky diving for the weekend. Monday came and I did not hear from him. Monday night I got a call. He had been killed in a sky diving accident saturday afternoon. I thought my life ended.

After about 3 months of major depression my parents decided I needed to get away. I went to AAA and they suggested something called a "cruise". After a while I decided okay I would give it a go. I booked the 2nd week of December on the Carnivale.

I left Ohio for Flordia, never having been there before, not knowing what the heck I was going to do and oh by the way not knowing who I was rooming with.

I went and realized I really could have fun again and found a new passion.

Roommate was from New York. We had an inside cabin and she had cruised several times before. We made a great pair. The second night out our lock broke on the cabin door. We were moved up to a balcony. That is where we spent the rest of our cruise.

San Juan was beautiful at night. Went to my first all male "review" show. Shock for me. By this time I was 21 so I could drink all I wanted. (at that time it was included) San Marteen was beautiful also.

We danced, we drank, we ate and had the most awesome time. I was hooked.

Things happen for a reason be they good or bad. For me out of a bad thing came a wonderful new way of vacationing.

Today my husband of 26 years cruise because we love it. It is a way for us to totally disconnect from the world. To live in a so called bubble for a few days that makes our world have no problems. We relax and enjoy each other totally with everything we do on the ship. We rarely do things apart on the ship. Allows us to reconnect like we can't in the real world due to work and other things. It makes us stronger when we come back.

My most memorable cruise will always be my first one - Carnival Celebration in 1997. I was traveling solo. Went to dinner the first evening and had been assigned to a table of 10. Four of my table mates had already arrived. Shortly after I sat down another table mate was seated at my table. A very good looking gentleman. Come to find out he too was traveling alone. You can see where this is going! :)

7 days later and we were both smitten. 25 and 36 yrs old and both never married. We were engaged 5 wks later and he packed his backs to move from TX to IA so we could be together. Now been together for close to 15 yrs and 18 cruises!

Cruising will always be special to us as it's like reliving our first date all over again!

My first cruise was a "family" vacation with Parents, brother & SIL, Sis & BIL and my 2 kids, and my niece and nephew in 2004. Wonderful family bonding time!

Parents are older now, and don't travel as much. Mom had wanted to sail to Alaska for a very long time, but dad didn't, and mom wouldn't travel without him. So, it was one of those bucket list items that wasn't going to get crossed off the list.

Fast forward, to November 2010 and I started planning an Alaskan cruise for DH's 65th birthday in 2011. Jokingly, I asked dad if he wanted to take Mom and come with us (mom was turning 80 in June). To my utter shock, he said yes.

So, MY most memorable cruise was fulfilling my mom's lifetime wish to see Alaska. We did 5 days land and a southbound cruise. We saw Denali, whales, eagles.........everything Mom wanted and more!

I'll forever treasure that time together. My mom was SO happy!

First off I try really hard to take away something memorible from each of my cruises. That being said the one cruise that will always have a place in my heart is our sailing on the Triumph in 2006. Our ship rescued a sinking boat off of the Grand Cayman Islands. There were around 20 - 25 people on board. Once our ship had reached US water the evacuation of our extra passengers started. Like so many others we were up on the top deck watching our US Coast Guard in action. There was a gentleman around my age (late 40's at the time) standing next to me, tears in his eyes. I asked him if he was OK and his only respond to be was ...... "twenty years ago that was me trying to get to your country."

OceanDreams

I am feeling quite emotional after reading all these posts. Like so many others, my best moment was on my first cruise. We had a cabin with a small window on the Norwegian Sea. On the first morning, I woke up and immediately looked out the window and saw that beautiful turquoise sea. I had only seen it in pictures before that. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning!!!! Just WOW...:D

I am really enjoying all of your responses! Thank you so much. Like many of you my first cruise was very special. I get that same feeling every time I see the next ship! It never gets old. Each of our cruises seem to be special, as most of them have marked a turning point in my life. My first cruise celebrated my high school graduation. The second was a college spring break trip. I proposed to my wife on my third, and enjoyed our honeymoon on the fourth. On my fifth we found out we were expecting our son as I said in my earlier post. I also proposed again to my wife on that cruise, in the Freedom of the Seas dining room on formal night in front of everyone at dinner. Our most recent cruise was my DS's (16 months) first cruise and a whole new adventure for us. I look forward to cruising again next December with what I'm hoping to call our second honeymoon. Just have to convince my DW to leave DS at home this time ;)

My most memorable cruise will always be my first one - Carnival Celebration in 1997. I was traveling solo. Went to dinner the first evening and had been assigned to a table of 10. Four of my table mates had already arrived. Shortly after I sat down another table mate was seated at my table. A very good looking gentleman. Come to find out he too was traveling alone. You can see where this is going! :)

7 days later and we were both smitten. 25 and 36 yrs old and both never married. We were engaged 5 wks later and he packed his backs to move from TX to IA so we could be together. Now been together for close to 15 yrs and 18 cruises!

Cruising will always be special to us as it's like reliving our first date all over again!

Ah, LOVE this story!

Archived