Mercury Couple left behind in Cabo???

eandee

I saw on another thread that a couple was chasing after the Mercury in a tender to no avail in Cabo after being left behind!

I wonder how often does that happen??

Liz:rolleyes:

On my first cruise, a lady missed the ship, but was able to hire a small boat and was transfered to the ship while it was still backing out of the harbor.

On my last cruise, a couple missed the ship, and apparently had to fly to the next port, of course at their expense.

I once was 2 hours late getting back to the ship, but since it was a Celebrity arranged excursion, they did wait. Was a lot of fun -- they ran us through the cruise ship terminal like one of those old OJ commercials, got us all on the fastest tender the port had, and transfered us over to the ship while the ship was making turns, anchor already up. :D

On my first cruise, a lady missed the ship, but was able to hire a small boat and was transfered to the ship while it was still backing out of the harbor.

On my last cruise, a couple missed the ship, and apparently had to fly to the next port, of course at their expense.

I once was 2 hours late getting back to the ship, but since it was a Celebrity arranged excursion, they did wait. Was a lot of fun -- they ran us through the cruise ship terminal like one of those old OJ commercials, got us all on the fastest tender the port had, and transfered us over to the ship while the ship was making turns, anchor already up. :D

How funny! Maybe not back then, but now!

I really want to hear if we ever figure out who it was

and what happened after Cabo!

I will remind Chris that we better make sure we get back in time at Monterey so as not to miss our own wedding in Catalina!

I guess we could fly down but the Cabo couple couldn't because it was sea days from Cabo to SF!!

Can you imagine your luggage and clothes are gone but not you!

All the money , the planning ! Luckily the last two days were horrendous weather wise so they didn't miss much.

Liz

A couple of you mentioned tendering out and boarding as the ship is leaving...all I can imagine is you having to climb one of those rope ladders up like 10 decks and clamoring over the railing...although I'm sure that's not how it's done...

I've been watching more than one sail-away when some oddball is running down the pier screaming and waving their arms...which is why I ALWAYS have a watch with an alarm, getting us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Meg

A couple of you mentioned tendering out and boarding as the ship is leaving...all I can imagine is you having to climb one of those rope ladders up like 10 decks and clamoring over the railing...although I'm sure that's not how it's done...

Actually, they use the hull doors which open at just above the waterline - these are the same doors they use to transfer the pilots and to move supplies and such onto the ship while at port. So it's a little easier, though it can be exciting if the ship is underway and the sea's got some chop.

How funny! Maybe not back then, but now!

Actually, it was great even then. Particularly when we approached the ship and it seemed as though every guest onboard was leaning over the rails, looking to see the "dummies" that had held up the ship (actually was about 30 of us, due to a mechanical problem on the excursion.) My son loved it because the tender had 4 huge outboards on it, and was breathtakingly fast. :D

Actually, they use the hull doors which open at just above the waterline - these are the same doors they use to transfer the pilots and to move supplies and such onto the ship while at port. So it's a little easier, though it can be exciting if the ship is underway and the sea's got some chop.

Actually, it was great even then. Particularly when we approached the ship and it seemed as though every guest onboard was leaning over the rails, looking to see the "dummies" that had held up the ship (actually was about 30 of us, due to a mechanical problem on the excursion.) My son loved it because the tender had 4 huge outboards on it, and was breathtakingly fast. :D

David,

Does excitement follow you?

I saw in your pics a crew memebr of the Galaxy had to be emergency evacuated by the Canadian coast guard??

Liz

A few years ago the line sponsored trip in the Cayman Islands was over a 1/2 hour late back to the ship.

From the time the bus pulled up at the tendering area till the time the passangers were on then off the tender - a lifeboat from the ship.

Took just over 8 minutes.

I think there were 23 passangers as I counted them.

They came on the normal boarding way off the forward dock area that comes out of the side of the ship. They had the lifeboat hooked in about 20 seconds and moving up the side as we started to pull away.

Quick work.

This past trip my friend and I jumped off the Millie at 4:09pm to stop for a quick purchase at Al Cowans in the back of Havensight. This was just before the ship was pulling away at 4:20pm.

But were were not the last back ... there were three others - on with a cane coming down the pier after us.

The ship knows from the computer who is off and on the ship at any given time. That is another reason you bing yourself in and out. ;)

I saw on another thread that a couple was chasing after the Mercury in a tender to no avail in Cabo after being left behind!

I wonder how often does that happen??

Liz:rolleyes:

I was on that ship when it happened. I was on my balcony laying on a lounge chair enjoying the sun and the ship slowly leaving Cabo. I heard shouting. I looked out and saw a water taxi getting very close to the Mercury and people were shouting and waving their arms. I thought how strange to try to get attention from a ship but maybe they had too much to drink and they were playing around. Then I wondered if they ran out of gas and needed help. I was about to do something, (what? I wasn't sure) and then the water taxi pulled away and headed back to shore. At dinner that night, I was told a family of 4 missed the tender and were stuck in Cabo. So I guess they really mean it when they say be back in time. By the way...we changed the time 3 times in 3 days. So maybe they forgot to change their watch.

A couple of years ago we watched as three people came rushing out to board our already underway Sun Princess and YES, they DID have to climb a swinging rope ladder to board. I'll never be late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband and I had dinner at the Captain's Table in March on the Mercury. It is funny because I happened to ask the Captain what he does when passengers are late. He told me point blank that they must get to the next port on their own. He said this was for security reasons. I told him I had seen on other occassions the Pilot boat rushing over with some passengers just as we were moving out. He said to me that if the Pilot wants to take the risk and assume responsibility that was okay with him( captain).

A few years ago we pulled out of Malaga, Spain, leaving two couples behind. The ship waited an extra half hour, but they didn't show up, so we left.

The port agent had their passports and arranged for them to join the ship at the next port - Gibraltar.

There are no flights from any Spanish city to Gibraltar. They took a cab to the Spain-Gibraltar border, crossed on foot, met the port agent for that stop and re-boarded the next morning. It was a very expensive (roughly $600) "shore excursion".

Why did they miss the ship? They'd rented a car, parked to explore the city - then forgot where they parked! Rather than call Hertz and say "we misplaced your car," they spent hours searching for it. They did find it (they'd actually forgotten what it looked like, so walked past it a couple of times), but by then it was too late...

Several years ago, during a port talk, the cruise director emphasized getting back on board in plenty of time. He then asked if we knew who the ship WOULD wait on? The first suggestion was the captain, but the CD replied no, that the First Officer was fully qualified to assume command. He then told us that the only person the ship would wait for, was the ship's doctor, as they were required to have at least one medical officer on board before sailing. :)

Several years ago, during a port talk, the cruise director emphasized getting back on board in plenty of time. He then asked if we knew who the ship WOULD wait on? The first suggestion was the captain, but the CD replied no, that the First Officer was fully qualified to assume command. He then told us that the only person the ship would wait for, was the ship's doctor, as they were required to have at least one medical officer on board before sailing. :)

I hope so!

Bump!

:eek: OMG, I thought for SURE, it would be the pastry chef!!!:eek:

We were on a cruise in Greece several years ago, and the cruise director told us about the following, which happened the week before our cruise

Parents were traveling with their two teenage sons, and had allowed them to go into port on their own. Come boarding time, the parents realized that their sons were nowhere to be found. Dad got off the ship, to find them, while Mom stayed on board.

Word got back to the ship, that although the boys had indeed missed the ship, they were on the sister ship, which was going to the same port the next day, so other than inconvenience and basic supplies, no real problem. The father wound up catching a Greek ferry to get to the next island.

So there you have it, one family riding on three different ships.

Good one, USHA!!! I have enjoyed reading this thread!!!!!

January 2003 we did a Western Carrib on Mercury w/ friends. It was a cold, snowy day here in the NE and our plane sat to be de-iced for 45 min, so we just made our connection in Philadelphia. Our friends were on the flight out after ours and they cancelled the flight, so they ended up driving to Phila to get their connection. Long story short....after many problems leaving Phila and sitting on the runway upon arrival in Miami.....they were the last TWO to board!!!!!!

We kept checking to see if they arrived - last check was on our way to dinner. We went to dinner and they were a "no show" and as we started leaving port during dinner, my husband and I got up b/c we knew that the "missed the boat"!!!!! As we went out of the DR to check to see if they ever showed......we ran into them heading to the DR......last 2 people to board!!!!!!

On my last cruise, a couple of the Entertainment staff were left in San Jaun. They (the two left behind) only spoken Hungian. They were part of a trio in the Ocean Bar. The one (who spoke englis) that made it back said it was their first gig. He was given notice the last day of the cruise that they would no longer be needed.

I was on the Constellation week of 4/02 and a crew member nearly missed the ship as we pulled out of Grenada. Fortunatly, or maybe not, the pilot boat picked him up. I am sure the Captain wasn't too happy with that.

Leaving Piraeus (Athens), our ship was delayed, as entertainers being flown in from Toronto, were getting into Athens about an hour late. They still, had not arrived when the captain decided we couldn't wait any longer. We were about to depart, when a crew member got sick, (I believe it was appendicitis). The ship had to be held up while we waited for emergency transportation to the hospital, thus another hour, and still, no entertainers.

Finally, after the crew member was taken off the ship, we left port, just in time for the Entertainers to wave goodbye, from the pier. Luckily, our next port of call was farther by sea than by land, as the port was to visit Olympia and the entertainers were able to easily make it there, before the ship did and joined us the next day.

Some years ago we were on the Mercury in South America when two families missed the boat in Buenos Aires. They fleew to Puerto Madryn which was three days later but couldnt get on as the ship didnt dock due to high winds. The missed rounding the Cape and flew next to Ushuia and got on board. At least they had the last 5 days on board the ship!

I was on that ship when it happened. I was on my balcony laying on a lounge chair enjoying the sun and the ship slowly leaving Cabo. I heard shouting. I looked out and saw a water taxi getting very close to the Mercury and people were shouting and waving their arms.

Just as a side note: If you ever find yourself in the situation of needing to try and catch up to your ship as it leaves the dock, make sure any boat you hire has a marine radio on board. Unless you can contact the ship via radio, there's little to no chance of arranging for a transfer. The best bets would probably be a pilot boat, a police/patrol launch, or a small commercial fishing boat. Waving your arms at a vessel the size of a modern cruise ship is not going to work, and getting too close to the cruise ship without prior contact is most likely only going to get the boat you are on a rather unpleasant visit from the local authorities upon its return to the dock.

Archived