Embarkation help in Galveston

JeanieTheMom

I’m sailing Jan 7 out of Galveston on the Triumph with my sister. She hurt her knee and had to have surgery Friday to repair some cartilage. Her doctor gave her an OK to go on our cruise, thank goodness. She would have been heart-broken to have to stay home. She has a page of (physical therapy type) exercises she is supposed to do twice a day which she will be able to do in the room. She is in her 60’s, so we didn’t plan to do any strenuous excursions anyway. She is doing well, and will be happier on the cruise than at home, so we’re going!

The question I have for my knowledgeable Cruise Critic buddies is this: She has a walker, but it’s a long way from the front of the port building to the ship. Does anyone know if Carnival or the port has wheelchairs they let people use to go through the embarkation process?

Also, while we’re at it :o, I figure she won’t be able to relax in the loungers on deck because she would have trouble getting back up. Other than that and taking the elevator everywhere and going slowly, am I forgetting any shipboard obstacles?

Thanks!

I’m sailing Jan 7 out of Galveston on the Triumph with my sister. She hurt her knee and had to have surgery Friday to repair some cartilage. Her doctor gave her an OK to go on our cruise, thank goodness. She would have been heart-broken to have to stay home. She has a page of (physical therapy type) exercises she is supposed to do twice a day which she will be able to do in the room. She is in her 60’s, so we didn’t plan to do any strenuous excursions anyway. She is doing well, and will be happier on the cruise than at home, so we’re going!

The question I have for my knowledgeable Cruise Critic buddies is this: She has a walker, but it’s a long way from the front of the port building to the ship. Does anyone know if Carnival or the port has wheelchairs they let people use to go through the embarkation process?

Also, while we’re at it :o, I figure she won’t be able to relax in the loungers on deck because she would have trouble getting back up. Other than that and taking the elevator everywhere and going slowly, am I forgetting any shipboard obstacles?

Thanks!

Assuming that it is same in Galveston as elsewhere, the cruise line will have wheelchair assitance available but they do not simply loan you a wheelchair, instead a member of the crew brings a wheelchair and pushes you onboard. Since they have a VERY limited number of wheelchairs, this can result in a long wait for assitance. We had this problem with my 88 year old dad who cruises with us. To solve this problem, we bought a transport chair which is a wheelchair with 4 small wheels. Not having the 2 large wheels means that someone must push you wherever you go but it also means that it will fold up very compactly. We found the one we bought on Amazon.com for around $100 and it was worth many times that for my dad on the last cruise. He can walk limited distances with (or without) a walker but long periods of walking or standing are just too much for him. If you can borrow a wheelchair or order your own, it will make embarkation and disembarkation a breeze plus you may find it useful in getting around the ships or at the various ports of call.

Archived