Bringing Frozen Milk?

RizzoLee

Has anyone tried shipping frozen breast milk before? Or have you traveled through the airport with it? How did you keep it frozen?

We have a bit of a tricky itinerary:

Jan 11: Overnight in Buffalo

Jan 12: Flight to FLL, shuttle transfer to MIA

Jan 14: Cruise

So, I''m facing a bit of a problem trying to keep it frozen. I can keep it in the Buffalo hotel's freezer overnight, so that's okay, but not sure about the Miami hotel though. I called and the rep wasn't 100% certain. And I'm not sure if I'd trust it to end up properly stored, etc.

I exclusively pumped for my son for his first 12 months and we traveled monthly so I've got lots of experience with flying with milk. My strategy was to bring as much fresh as possible because as long as it's kept cold it will last much longer than frozen that has been allowed to thaw. Once my frozen breastmilk thawed I used it w/in 12 hours of thawing and discarded any that wasn't used. So I would pack as much fresh as I could into a cooler with ice packs and that helped keep it cool on the flights. My advice would be to add ice to the cooler with icepacks and milk in the airport in Buffalo once you are through security, just to be sure it's kept cold on the flight. You can bring ziplocs and fill them with ice so when it melts it's contained. Then when you land at FLL I would again get ice at the airport and put it in the cooler for your shuttle to MIA. Once you get to MIA hopefully you will have a freezer and I would then freeze the milk. Then on cruise day I would pack my cooler with ice packs and ice and the frozen milk and that should keep it frozen until the ship. I'm not sure about keeping it frozen on the ship though. We didn't cruise while DS was drinking breastmilk exclusively because I was too worried I wouldn't be able to work out all the milk logisitics.

I exclusively pumped for my son for his first 12 months and we traveled monthly so I've got lots of experience with flying with milk. My strategy was to bring as much fresh as possible because as long as it's kept cold it will last much longer than frozen that has been allowed to thaw. Once my frozen breastmilk thawed I used it w/in 12 hours of thawing and discarded any that wasn't used. So I would pack as much fresh as I could into a cooler with ice packs and that helped keep it cool on the flights. My advice would be to add ice to the cooler with icepacks and milk in the airport in Buffalo once you are through security, just to be sure it's kept cold on the flight. You can bring ziplocs and fill them with ice so when it melts it's contained. Then when you land at FLL I would again get ice at the airport and put it in the cooler for your shuttle to MIA. Once you get to MIA hopefully you will have a freezer and I would then freeze the milk. Then on cruise day I would pack my cooler with ice packs and ice and the frozen milk and that should keep it frozen until the ship. I'm not sure about keeping it frozen on the ship though. We didn't cruise while DS was drinking breastmilk exclusively because I was too worried I wouldn't be able to work out all the milk logisitics.

Why? Why? Why? If you are breast feeding, why does your baby need frozen breast milk? Aren't you going with the child? I just don't understand all this fuss. Breast milk comes in its own neat little containers, ready prepared and at the right temperature.

Keep it simple! If you are breastfeeding, why do you need to fuss around with freezing and bottles? To me, it seems to defeat the purpose of breastfeeding. And it certainly makes it less convenient than bottle-feeding!

I traveled with all 3 of my my babies when they were breastfed and they never needed a bottle. My daughter-in-law has, so far, done 4 return flights from the UK to New Zealand (24 hours+), each time with a breastfeeding baby and has never had to fuss around with expressing and freezing breast milk.

Why? Why? Why? If you are breast feeding, why does your baby need frozen breast milk? Aren't you going with the child? I just don't understand all this fuss. Breast milk comes in its own neat little containers, ready prepared and at the right temperature.

Keep it simple! If you are breastfeeding, why do you need to fuss around with freezing and bottles? To me, it seems to defeat the purpose of breastfeeding. And it certainly makes it less convenient than bottle-feeding!

I traveled with all 3 of my my babies when they were breastfed and they never needed a bottle. My daughter-in-law has, so far, done 4 return flights from the UK to New Zealand (24 hours+), each time with a breastfeeding baby and has never had to fuss around with expressing and freezing breast milk.

Simply due to the fact that I'd like a break while onboard as well - I follow Dr. Jack Newman's advice, and have no issue having a glass of wine or two while nursing, but my mother will be keeping DS in her room for a night and I'd like to provide her with BM, not formula.

In my case my son was medically unable to breastfeed. So that's why why why I had to store and express my milk. I wanted him to have all the wonderful benefits of breastmilk and unfortunately he was unable to latch on and get it himself. So I spent over a year harvesting and collecting, and storing that liquid gold for him myself. I'm glad that you and your daughter-in-law were able to have a successful breastfeeding relationship with your children, you're very lucky for that. In my case things didn't go as well, but my son still deserved all the benefits breastmilk offers and he got them. And it didn't hinder our ability to travel and see the world as he went on 13 flights before he was 12 months old. I didn't choose breastfeeding for convienience in the first place, but for the health benefits so the fact that pumping wasn't as convienient didn't deter me from wanting to do what I felt was best for my child.

Rizzolee are you able to take your pump and express on the cruise instead? I know it's more to pack and carry and that's a hassle, but that way you wouldn't have to worry about long term storage for the milk.

In my case my son was medically unable to breastfeed. So that's why why why I had to store and express my milk. I wanted him to have all the wonderful benefits of breastmilk and unfortunately he was unable to latch on and get it himself. So I spent over a year harvesting and collecting, and storing that liquid gold for him myself. I'm glad that you and your daughter-in-law were able to have a successful breastfeeding relationship with your children, you're very lucky for that. In my case things didn't go as well, but my son still deserved all the benefits breastmilk offers and he got them. And it didn't hinder our ability to travel and see the world as he went on 13 flights before he was 12 months old. I didn't choose breastfeeding for convienience in the first place, but for the health benefits so the fact that pumping wasn't as convienient didn't deter me from wanting to do what I felt was best for my child.

Rizzolee are you able to take your pump and express on the cruise instead? I know it's more to pack and carry and that's a hassle, but that way you wouldn't have to worry about long term storage for the milk.

Thank you for explaining. Now I understand, and I commend you for your dedication to give your child the best.

But, please understand that your experience is not the "norm". Usually, breastfeeding is so convenient, not a chore.

Simply due to the fact that I'd like a break while onboard as well - I follow Dr. Jack Newman's advice, and have no issue having a glass of wine or two while nursing, but my mother will be keeping DS in her room for a night and I'd like to provide her with BM, not formula.

Ok. I understand the desire to have a break and the odd glass of wine. I still don't see why you need to fly with frozen milk, though. As long as you don't give your Mum the baby on the very first night, couldn't you just express once you get on board?

There won't be any place to store it onboard. The cold boxes in the cabins aren't even proper refrigerator temperature.

Actually, you can ask for a medical refrigerator. This will keep milk at a safe teperature.

Thank you for explaining. Now I understand, and I commend you for your dedication to give your child the best.

But, please understand that your experience is not the "norm". Usually, breastfeeding is so convenient, not a chore.

Her experience is far more common than you may realize. It takes a very special type of Mother to exclusively pump for over a year. My hat is off to her!

Can't you just pump or hand express on the ship, just before it's needed? Then you don't have to worry about travel.

Her experience is far more common than you may realize. It takes a very special type of Mother to exclusively pump for over a year. My hat is off to her!

Thank you. It surprised me when going through the experience to realize it was more common that I'd imagined. Although I'm glad many don't experience what I did. But as a mother I did what I had to for my son without question.

Hopefully the OP is able to pump on board to save her the extra work and worry of transporting the milk through airports and onto the boat.

You won't be able to keep the milk frozen once you get on the ship, and I've found you can't even count on a medical refrigerator because they don't keep many on board. The ship galley will not accept any food item, not even breast milk, from a passenger. It stinks, but it's the rules.

Ok. I understand the desire to have a break and the odd glass of wine. I still don't see why you need to fly with frozen milk, though. As long as you don't give your Mum the baby on the very first night, couldn't you just express once you get on board?

I pumped for over 3 months - my DS was in the NICU for the first month of his life. Unfortunately, my DH cannot stand the sound of the pump now for that reason. Primarily though, I get blocked ducts from pumping and my supply has regulated to DS' needs. It's hard to get even an ounce some days. The pump in coming, but I was hoping to avoid the blockages that are bound to happen.

I pumped for over 3 months - my DS was in the NICU for the first month of his life. Unfortunately, my DH cannot stand the sound of the pump now for that reason. Primarily though, I get blocked ducts from pumping and my supply has regulated to DS' needs. It's hard to get even an ounce some days. The pump in coming, but I was hoping to avoid the blockages that are bound to happen.

I'm sorry your son spent a month in the NICU that must have been very difficult and I completely understand how the sound of the pump could bring back bad feelings for your DH.

If you're looking for something to help with the blocked ducts you could look into taking Lecithin. It is a vitamin/supplement. It prevents clogs and it worked well for me. I'm not sure how you feel about supplements when nursing but as a pumper who dealt with clogs it was an amazing thing to find. At the first feeling that a clog was coming I would start taking it and almost instantly it would dissipate. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin.html

Good luck and have a fantastic cruise!!

Wow. Pumping for a year is incredible! I had to pump exclusively for my daughter's first month as she was in the hospital and it was hell. I was so glad to get her on the boob when I could! Now I just have to pump once a day and that's much better!

Anyway, we cruised with my son when he was 3 months old (back when they allowed it). He was breastfed, but nursed all the dang time. So I brought the pump so that I could give him a bottle during dinner. He really wouldn't go more than an hour or so at that age without nursing. But yes, there was no place to store the milk. My cabin attendant was awesome - she had breastfed her babies so she was awesome about keeping the ice bucket filled with ice so that it never melted and I kept the milk there. BUT - I also always used it within probably 18 hours at the most.

I don't think there is really anyway to do it with frozen milk, unfortunately.

I think I would just take my pump as PP have stated and express on the ship.

However, if you do want to bring previously expressed milk on the ship, I can be refrigerated for up to 8 days. I did this recently and brought a thermometer to make sure it stayed at the correct temperature. Here's a link to the correct temps:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

HTH!

I'm sorry your son spent a month in the NICU that must have been very difficult and I completely understand how the sound of the pump could bring back bad feelings for your DH.

If you're looking for something to help with the blocked ducts you could look into taking Lecithin. It is a vitamin/supplement. It prevents clogs and it worked well for me. I'm not sure how you feel about supplements when nursing but as a pumper who dealt with clogs it was an amazing thing to find. At the first feeling that a clog was coming I would start taking it and almost instantly it would dissipate. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin.html

Good luck and have a fantastic cruise!!

Thanks for the help! I take 2 a day, have for months now. Whenever a blockage starts, I up it to 4 a day. Have had a much easier time since starting it. ;)

I pumped for my twins. Both NICU babies and one unable to nurse for suck swallow issues for 3 months so just pumped so its not abnormal...

Anyway, when we traveled I never brought milk with me. I pumped at least 10 oz every 3 hours so I had extra or the babies each feeding. I just brought my side kick Medina with me and pumped 20 mins before they were due to eat and they always had fresh milk. I found it easier than storing the bags when traveling.

Thanks again, but my question was more so for bringing frozen milk with me - I have my pump packed, but as DS is nursing, if I'm around, he nurses. I was trying to prepare for the times I'm not around. If I haven't missed a feeding, I can't express much so fresh is a little harder to just produce.

However, we figured out that I'm going to pack a cooler bag with some frozen milk from home and ice packs - our hotels should keep it in their deep freezes for us (which I'm a little leery about, but apparently they're used to it!), so it'll keep until at least Saturday when we board. I'm going to put it in the freezer portion of our fridge onboard and monitor it. If it starts defrosting, we'll feed it to DS and I can pump for those feedings, thereby being able to get fresh milk. ;)

If it defrosts before hand, we lost some milk, but at least we tried. :)

Thanks again, but my question was more so for bringing frozen milk with me - I have my pump packed, but as DS is nursing, if I'm around, he nurses. I was trying to prepare for the times I'm not around. If I haven't missed a feeding, I can't express much so fresh is a little harder to just produce.

However, we figured out that I'm going to pack a cooler bag with some frozen milk from home and ice packs - our hotels should keep it in their deep freezes for us (which I'm a little leery about, but apparently they're used to it!), so it'll keep until at least Saturday when we board. I'm going to put it in the freezer portion of our fridge onboard and monitor it. If it starts defrosting, we'll feed it to DS and I can pump for those feedings, thereby being able to get fresh milk. ;)

If it defrosts before hand, we lost some milk, but at least we tried. :)

Sorry, but there IS no freezer portion in the fridge onboard - it is really more of a cooler. Will keep things cool but not really cold and certainly not frozen. You might pack it in ice cubes and put it in the cooler.

Sorry, but there IS no freezer portion in the fridge onboard - it is really more of a cooler. Will keep things cool but not really cold and certainly not frozen. You might pack it in ice cubes and put it in the cooler.

This is our 7th CCL cruise - we've always had a freezer portion in our fridge with a balcony. It's small, but works. Mostly. ;) Thanks though!

Cooler is packed, belted and on the rocks in the deep freeze! Hopefully I don't forget it!

Rizzolee are you able to take your pump and express on the cruise instead? I

know it's more to pack and carry and that's a hassle, but that way you wouldn't have to worry about long term storage for the milk.

I exclusively pump for my son because he is lazy lol or at least that is what the nurses and doctors told me lol. He cried whenever I tried to get him to latch on. On a rare occasion, he would breastfeed but it was on his terms lol. So I just have up and have been pumping for 9 months and counting. We are leaving for our cruise next Saturday and I will be pumping and washing bottles. Not convienient at all but I do it for my son :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I brought a cooler loaded with gel packs and put some ice cubes on the very top. I bought 2 luggage belts from Walmart and tightened the sucker tight. The pre-flight and pre-cruise hotels kept them in their freezers with no issues. :) The airline also had no issues as long as there was less than 4 pounds of dry ice (of which I had none).

Not only did it make it to the cruise, it made it until the 3rd day on the ship. :) I placed the ice cubes on the top to judge if anything had melted - the ice cubes turn clear when they're refrozen. :)

I didn't end up needing them (brought 4 things of 5 oz each), only tried the one night and he refused the bottle (big surprise there :rolleyes:), but it worked! I pumped 4 oz of fresh while on board as well as had a backup of formula for the very 'just in case'.

Archived