Should I book my 1st cruise through Carnival's website or through a travel agent?

cmh1976

Regarding the TA websites, which shall not be named ;), do you usually get better rates when you call or are their posted rates basically it?

Others posting here that they received better rates when calling PVPs is news to me. Thing to remember is that we are comparing exactly the same thing. Have to consider OBC and/or booking fees that could affect true costs. Most sites list very similiar (same?) prices. Variables are early booking vs. last minute price slashing. Phone bookings could slip in fees that you'd plainly see booking online. Knowledge is power and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Others posting here that they received better rates when calling PVPs is news to me. Thing to remember is that we are comparing exactly the same thing. Have to consider OBC and/or booking fees that could affect true costs. Most sites list very similiar (same?) prices. Variables are early booking vs. last minute price slashing. Phone bookings could slip in fees that you'd plainly see booking online. Knowledge is power and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I agree. I was comparing various online companies. The prices are basically the same, it's just the added perks that vary. I didn't even know they had booking fees until one site mentioned that they didn't. All things being equal, if I know exactly what I want, the price is the same, and there aren't any booking fees, I'm going to use the company that offers a perk of some sort (free hotel, OBC, room upgrades).

If you do it yourself just make sure that you understand the deck plans. Check what is above and below any cabin you are considering. Otherwise, you could book a "great deal" and find yourself under the galley, showroom, disco or other noisy area.

Personally, I would ask friends to recommend a good travel agent who specializes in cruises or check the CLIA website to find a certified cruise planner in your zipcode. There are many local TA's who do not charge any fees and they will monitor prices and get OBC or upgrades for you. They also have usually have access to several travel insurance plans so you can choose which is the best for you. They also may be helpful in selecting the cruise line that would be the best fit for you and your family.

After you've sailed a few times and are more knowledgeable then book on your own if you want. I hate to see newbies unhappy onboard because they booked themselves without understanding all the ramifications, I've also seen too many people denied boarding for failure to understand the documentation requirements. A good TA can help you with all of that to avoid any disappointment.

We lucked out and got a really good Carnival PVP when we called the 1-800 # to book our first cruise. I like having a real person to talk to when I have a question or need help. We had an issue getting our FCC to go through on the computer and I called him and he took care of it right over the phone. In addition, he is super good about returning e-mails and phone calls in a prompt manner. Lastly, the PVP's can help you with cabin room selection. Not all of the cabins will show up on the Carnival site. Thanks to our PVP, we were able to snag one of the rare long-balcony cabins for our upcoming cruise on the Legend. It was not showing on-line but he was able to offer it to us. I would definetly use a Carnival PVP over booking online or using an outside TA. This is just my personal preference.

CC rules do not permit us to share our PVPs name, otherwise I would. Just call the Carnival 1-800# and speak to one or two until you find one that you like and click with.

Good luck to you. :)

Regarding the TA websites, which shall not be named ;), do you usually get better rates when you call or are their posted rates basically it?

TA's are not allowed to offer the cruise for any less than CCL itself offers it. The only things TA's can offer is perks like OBC, trip insurance, wine, etc. But these are usually pretty small extras as those things come out of the TA's commision. I think people who call the PVP and get a better deal than they see online are just getting past guest/resident/etc rates that they had perhaps not known they could get.

Used Carnival via phone on our first, they were very helpful. From then on we have used the Carnival website - very easy to navigate. Enjoy your first cruise - i wasnt enthusiastic about the first, it was my husbands idea, and i am in love with cruising ever since.

I agree with using a good travel agent. Mine gets me the same price I could get through Carnival- so she must get paid by the cruiseline- and she handles all of the details. Plus- and this is huge- she has access to rooms not available online and she know exactly where to book us and where not to (like right under the pool deck or other loud area). She also always gets us awesome dining arrangements/ table assignemnts that we couldn't get on our own.

Hi,

I've been doing alot of research and I've got a question....Should I book a cruise directly from the cruise line's website (Carnival) or find a local travel agent?

This will be my first cruise. Taking the family - husband and two kids to the Bahamas.

Thanks

Booked "Early Saver" directly with Carnival.

Archived