? Fort Meyers Area

hotsand

Anyone know of a good hotel in the Fort Meyers/ Sanibel area? After our cruise comes back to Ft Lauderdale we have a few days before we drive back to the Orlando area, and have never spent time in the Fort Meyer area. Ideally something in a good area, with perhaps a resturant or at least breakfast, if not, we'll have our car to get around.

Thanks in advance,

Hotsand

We stayed in Fort Myers Beach, but sorry can't tell you about hotels, but can say that we rented a house there and absolutely loved it! Nice white soft sand (if that makes sense), great restaurants and pier area. If you're located near the pier then there is a lot that is within walking distance and there is a trolley on the main road for a reasonable price. We did take a drive to Sanibel Island and did not stick around - not sure if we hit a bad day there but there were dead fish all over the beach and the smell was aweful.

We stayed in Fort Myers Beach, but sorry can't tell you about hotels, but can say that we rented a house there and absolutely loved it! Nice white soft sand (if that makes sense), great restaurants and pier area. If you're located near the pier then there is a lot that is within walking distance and there is a trolley on the main road for a reasonable price. We did take a drive to Sanibel Island and did not stick around - not sure if we hit a bad day there but there were dead fish all over the beach and the smell was aweful.

Sadly, you were there during red tide. There are a plethora of condos for rent both on Ft. Myers Beach and Sanibel. For years we owned a condo at the Caper Beach Club, a very elegant place. However, I cannot now remember if they have rentals for less than a week. The beaches at Ft. Myers Beach and Sanibel are outstanding; and, of course, Sanibel Island is the shelling capitol of the western hemisphere. In fact, we were there a few days ago; and, we acquired a plethora of shells for one of my grandchildren.

Our hands down favorite is Best Western Fort Meyers Beach. All rooms have a balcony or patio with ocean view and fully equipped kitchens. The resort was renovated two years ago (just before our last stay). There is ample free parking and it's a short walk to Times Square with plenty of restaurants, shops and bars.

Our hands down favorite is Best Western Fort Meyers Beach. All rooms have a balcony or patio with ocean view and fully equipped kitchens. The resort was renovated two years ago (just before our last stay). There is ample free parking and it's a short walk to Times Square with plenty of restaurants, shops and bars.

That is a good choice; and, the beach at Bowditch Point has just been enlarged; and, said beach is now very wide. In general, the beach at Ft. Myers Beach is softer walking than the beach at Sanibel. However, the water at Sanibel is much nicer vis-a-vis coloration and clarity.

Additionally, Sanibel is the shelling capitol of the western hemisphere.

I second the Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort as well. We stayed there twice this year (both times in the off-season) because we enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer ... pool, tennis, fitness center, etc. The resort fee is very reasonable for all the amenities that are offered. Sanibel/Captiva are a short drive over the bridge.

Another great place to stay is the Pointe Estero Beach Resort on Fort Myers Beach. We had a 2-bedroom beachfront condo, with a full kitchen, wrap-around balcony, with NO resort fee and NO parking fee.

I second the Sanibel Harbour Marriott Resort as well. We stayed there twice this year (both times in the off-season) because we enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer ... pool, tennis, fitness center, etc. The resort fee is very reasonable for all the amenities that are offered. Sanibel/Captiva are a short drive over the bridge.

Another great place to stay is the Pointe Estero Beach Resort on Fort Myers Beach. We had a 2-bedroom beachfront condo, with a full kitchen, wrap-around balcony, with NO resort fee and NO parking fee.

That is a fine place just a block or two from the Caper Beach Club which is a wee bit nicer. We owned a condo there for ten years. Also, no extra fees, but I believe there is a deposit requirement, which is returned providing there is no unit damage etc. However, I cannot remember if there are rentals for less than 1 week.

Definitely stay at Fort Myers Beach....

there is an outstanding waterside resturant on the mainland side of the bridge into FT. Myers Beach named Doc Fords....

There is also a Doc Fords on Sanibel Island near the Ding Darling Sanctuary, which is a very interesting venue for bird watchers with between 200-300 different species. At this time the white Pelicans are at Ding Darling. Said bird is the second largest bird in North America.

Of course, this sanctuary is also efficacious for fishing and crabbing.

That is a fine place just a block or two from the Caper Beach Club which is a wee bit nicer. We owned a condo there for ten years. Also, no extra fees, but I believe there is a deposit requirement, which is returned providing there is no unit damage etc. However, I cannot remember if there are rentals for less than 1 week.

At Pointe Estero, we rented a 2-bedroom unit for 3 nights, so there is no minimum stay requirement (perhaps on Holiday weekends there might be a minimum requirement). Also, no deposit was required. At times they often run Florida residents rates and repeat customer discounts as well.

At Pointe Estero, we rented a 2-bedroom unit for 3 nights, so there is no minimum stay requirement (perhaps on Holiday weekends there might be a minimum requirement). Also, no deposit was required. At times they often run Florida residents rates and repeat customer discounts as well.

It has been awhile, but I seem to recall that many of the units at this facility are not direct gulf front units, whereas all of the units at Caper Beach are direct gulf front units.

It has been awhile, but I seem to recall that many of the units at this facility are not direct gulf front units, whereas all of the units at Caper Beach are direct gulf front units.

That is correct, some units are not gulf front, but rather gulf "view". We specifically booked a gulf front unit. I may keep Caper Beach in mind for our next weekend getaway!

That is correct, some units are not gulf front, but rather gulf "view". We specifically booked a gulf front unit. I may keep Caper Beach in mind for our next weekend getaway!

We began visiting SWFL in 1987, and owned our unit from 1988-1998; and, we have also visited many other beachfront condos on the west coast. In our opinion, Caper has one of the nicest back of the house scenarios of most of SWFL. The place you mentioned is nice, but not in the same league.

Archived