ES Rates and Cruising Solo

NCTribeFan

I don't read all the ES threads because these days, since my DD no longer can cruise with me, my cruising plans aren't "set" enough to feel comfortable using that rate.

But I just read another (yes, yet another!) ES thread and it got me thinking.

Firefly, you responded in that one, and you may have the answer for me...

So, I'm thinking about this B2B (perhaps even B2B2B) next November. Since I "may" end up sailing solo for one or both or neither leg(s), I didn't think ES would be smart.

See, to me, NO NAME CHANGE means that even if you book solo, if you can then add someone to your booking, that would be a name change.

But I'm wondering if my interpretation is incorrect. :confused:

Is it possible that I could do this: book a 1A solo under an ES rate, paying the full deposit (for the two people) and fully intending to pay the 200% supplement eventually.

If DD or friend could join me on different legs, they would simply book their "half" of the cabin at whatever rate they wanted to book, paying whatever the going rate was at that time. The portion of the deposit that I had paid for the solo supplement would either be refunded, or I could just apply that to my balance.

But if we wanted to change cabins from a 1A (pretty sure none of us would want to climb the ladder in the cabin I want), that WOULD constitute a change that would require a $50 fee?

I may call my PVP tonight to put a deposit on these cruises and I really don't want to pay more than necessary, but don't want to box myself into a corner simply because of the convoluted rules involved with the rate class.

Thanks!

Hello NCTribeFan,

If you book the ES as a solo, and want

to add someone in your cabin at any time,

it is allowed, no penalty. This is not considered

a name change but an addition. All you would

pay is the difference in the cabin price (if any)

at the time you added another person.

I dont think its necessary to put down two deposits if you may want to add someone later. Just pay the one deposit. You can upgrade but not downgrade so booking a 1A is smart. (a price drop in the IS gty may post later and you can more easily move to that since its technically a upgrade).

Just my thoughts.

You are not changing a name, just adding a name. Changing a name would be if you decided to not go.

If DD or friend could join me on different legs, they would simply book their "half" of the cabin at whatever rate they wanted to book, paying whatever the going rate was at that time. The portion of the deposit that I had paid for the solo supplement would either be refunded, or I could just apply that to my balance.

But if we wanted to change cabins from a 1A (pretty sure none of us would want to climb the ladder in the cabin I want), that WOULD constitute a change that would require a $50 fee?

I'm a little confused on this part I highlighted. Solos pay 200%. They are not going to refund your 2nd fare, and then charge your daughter. Its already paid, she just would pay the 2nd person add on fees and taxes. She could pay you the 2nd fare, but they will not refund you and then collect from here.

It does not cost $50 to upgrade. The $50 fee is for changing dates.

That helps.

Let me see if I can phrase the deposit question differently...

Besides having to pay 200% of the fare, we now have to pay the deposit as though there are two people in the cabin. At least that's what my PVP told me. When I booked my Bermuda solo cruise, the single supplement was still 150% and I only paid one deposit.

What I'm getting to is that if I book a B2B as a solo, I'm billed for two people for each cruise and I also am putting down the "full" deposit. I believe the deposit for a 5-night cruise is $100 per person, so I'd have to put down $200 for each leg.

If I then added someone, wouldn't they have to pay their own deposit? That would mean I'd have that addl $100 applied to the balance, right?

That helps.

Besides having to pay 200% of the fare, we now have to pay the deposit as though there are two people in the cabin. At least that's what my PVP told me. When I booked my Bermuda solo cruise, the single supplement was still 150% and I only paid one deposit.

What I'm getting to is that if I book a B2B as a solo, I'm billed for two people for each cruise and I also am putting down the "full" deposit. I believe the deposit for a 5-night cruise is $100 per person, so I'd have to put down $200 for each leg.

If I then added someone, wouldn't they have to pay their own deposit? That would mean I'd have that addl $100 applied to the balance, right?

Nope still one deposit for solo cruisers. Not sure what your PVP is talking about. You can do a fake booking to check for yourself.

Deposit for a 5 night cruise is $200pp

Lets use my dad as an example.

We booked him on the Carnival Legend for 01/29/12 18 months ago.

We booked him as a solo cruiser booking the ES rate.

My son wanted to go but would not know until the end of Dec if he could go or not.

Agent says not a problem since my dads cabin was built for two people.

The end of December my son needed to pay the difference for adding the second person 85.00.

The problem would be if you want to add a 3rd person- you might not be able to do that.

At the time my son decided he can go=there were no more cabins for the 3rd or 4th passenger.

Booking into a cabin with a solo booking-- you can put someone else in that cabin (as long as the ship does not exceed capacity- example would be for a Thanksgiving day cruise)

you only need one persons deposit for each journey.

Do NOT book ES if there is a chance you gotta cancel

OK, I think I'm getting there!

I was pretty sure that Carnival had changed their policy so that solo cruisers had to pay double deposit. If not, that would be great.

If I decide to book a B2B2B, that would be a pretty hefty down-payment!

I don't think I'd need a cabin for three. What I'm hoping is that I could get my friend to join me for at least one leg, and maybe my DD for one of the other legs. If DD can join me, I'd pay for whatever increase it would be for her. If friend joins me, we would split the cost. But we could work those details out between us.

The "special" 1A cabins are available for all three legs, and I'd like to grab one now. It would be great to have 14 days and not have to change cabins!

And if I did go solo (total would be <$1400 for 14 nights), it would be a great cabin. :D

I was pretty sure that Carnival had changed their policy so that solo cruisers had to pay double deposit. If not, that would be great.

If I decide to book a B2B2B, that would be a pretty hefty down-payment!

I don't think I'd need a cabin for three. What I'm hoping is that I could get my friend to join me for at least one leg, and maybe my DD for one of the other legs. If DD can join me, I'd pay for whatever increase it would be for her. If friend joins me, we would split the cost. But we could work those details out between us.

The "special" 1A cabins are available for all three legs, and I'd like to grab one now. It would be great to have 14 days and not have to change cabins!

And if I did go solo (total would be <$1400 for 14 nights), it would be a great cabin. :D

If you don't mind me asking, curious what's special about the 1A cabin you want? I love learning about new "secret" rooms!

My PVP always thinks it's funny I know exactly what cabin I want, but thanks to CC I always know what the best value cabin is! :)

Thx!

Jenn

:D

we only needed 200 for my dads deposit for a 7 day cruise

I dont think its necessary to put down two deposits if you may want to add someone later. Just pay the one deposit.

That helps.

That would mean I'd have that addl $100 applied to the balance, right?

See my above post ... you still pay one deposit. Have to run. Will reread the rest of the posts a little later.

Another thing you can do is book past guest or another rate now then switch to ES right before the cutoff date. You plans may be firmer at that time.

Then OP would risk losing the ES rate - Carnival has told me they are capacity controlled.

I'm going to call my PVP in a minute. Hope he says the same thing!

Jenng - there's a thread that has everything about 1A cabins, including the "special" ones, including the 1As that actually have portholes and are 1 bed, 1 sofabed (so no ladder climbing), and the ones I have my eye on, the one with one bed and one bunk, but two windows for the price of a regular inside 1A with upper and lower.

Do an advanced search for "everything 1A" or something similar, select thread titles, and the Carnival board only.

Will post a link to the thread if I can find it easily.

I'm going to call my PVP in a minute. Hope he says the same thing!

Jenng - there's a thread that has everything about 1A cabins, including the "special" ones, including the 1As that actually have portholes and are 1 bed, 1 sofabed (so no ladder climbing), and the ones I have my eye on, the one with one bed and one bunk, but two windows for the price of a regular inside 1A with upper and lower.

Do an advanced search for "everything 1A" or something similar, select thread titles, and the Carnival board only.

Will post a link to the thread if I can find it easily.

Thanks - think I know what thread you're talking about!

Can't go wrong with windows for the price of an inside!

we only needed 200 for my dads deposit for a 7 day cruise

Carnival charges $250 deposit (or more in some cases, like Alaska) on a 7 day cruise. Your booking info, while well meaning is just plain not quite right on a lot of booking info you give. You are confusing people as often as not. Carnival never reduces deposits, except for groups.

i have a very confusion question:confused: im booking the es for nov i will 100% be going solo here is my delima i know ihave to pay the the dep of 250 plus the solo suplment but my question is if i was to book a double and pay both dep and both tip it works out about the sam give or take and i would hae a choice of a mid ship instead of the front. what would happen if the second party would cx would i get any of that back and would they make me pay the diffeerenc of the solo rate if we waited to the last minuite.:rolleyes:

I can't answer any of those questions. If you're booking ES for two people and know that there will only be one, I have no idea what they do!

As soon as my friend decides whether she can go with me, I'll call my PVP.

I was doing some online research and discovered that I could sail from Hawaii (I did my first HAL cruise to Hawaii November 2010), for LESS on Celebrity because of the solo supplement, and only slightly more on HAL. My air was also very reasonable when I went.

Really, Carnival is in danger of losing me because of the solo supplement thing.

I always sailed with my DD, so I always paid for two people. I reached Platinum status and always had paid for two people. Then, she went to grad school and is now engaged, so doubtful she'll be sailing with me in the future.

I got my Bermuda cruise at 150%, but having to continue to pay for two people really rather irks me, especially when other lines under the Carnival umbrella still offer a discount!

Know what I mean?

I may book this but NOT as an ES just in case I change my mind. I may even return my FCC and get a refund on that. :(

Archived