We did it! Cruised with our 4 month old.

globalwife

Last week we cruised with out 4 month old DD. We left Cartagena on Dec. 24 and returned 7 nights later with visits in Aruba, Curacao, Caracas, and Colon. We had two sea days. We traveled with Pullmantur. I had booked the cruise over a year and a half ago, long before I was even pregnant. I was almost sure that we were going to have to cancel the cruise but after asking for advice on this site, I decided we should try it out. THANKS!!! Pullmantur allowed me to add our DD to the reservation without any charge. We didn't have to pay port taxes or even tips for her (we did leave a little extra though).

It was a different cruise but we still had a great time regardless. DD was the youngest on board. She got lots of attention everywhere we went. We took both a travel system and a carrier. Pullmantur provided a rectangular pack n play that looked brand new. They put two sheets on it and I removed one of them. I exclusively breastfeed so we didn't have to worry about cleaning bottles and etc. To shower her, one of us would hold her in the shower while the other hosed her down with the sprayer. It worked fine. DD took her naps in the travel system which helped us be able to be out of the room more. We were able to enjoy most of the shows and ate dinner everynight in the restaurant. Most nights we went to bed after the show though as we were tired. A couple of nights we did enjoy the cafes and bars.

On Christmas (day at sea), Santa arrived onboard and handed out gifts to the kids. DD got to get her present first since she was the youngest. I was impressed that the gift was specifically tagged for her and wrapped. It was a stuffed dino with a pirate cap. Very cute!

In Aruba, we rented a car which allowed us to use the car seat. We spent some time at a few beaches and drove all over the island. We were able to keep her in the shade.

In Caracas, we stayed on the ship. We were hoping to take an excursion with the ship but found out it would be over 5 hours of riding around in a bus with only one stop. They even encouraged us to not take it with the baby and since there are lots of crime problems there we didn't want to take any risk by going on our own.

In Curacao, we found a tour at the port for $15 (DD was free) that went around the east part of the island for a couple of hours and then went to the sea aquarium beach. DH and I took turns snorkeling while caring for DD. We took the public bus/van back to the town and walked back to port.

In Colon, we grouped up with four other adults and hired a tour guide with a minivan to take us around. We went to the Panama canal (Gutan locks) and saw a ship transit. Then we went to a mall and then to the free trade zone to shop some more.

Our cabin had a window which really helped. We used the hot water in the buffet to clean her pacifiers each day. DD had one leaky diaper on board but I brought detergent and washed the onesie in the cabin without any problem.

We are so glad we took DD along. We are sure she enjoyed seeing all the new things. It was different but a great way to spend our first family vacation and her first Christmas.

So glad that you had a great time. We will be traveling next Saturday with our 9 month old and 4 year old on Carnival. I exclusively pump out my breast milk as DS is lazy lol. Your post was inspirational and if you could do it with a 4 month old. I know we will be just fine. :)

Archived