Boston - October - Hotel

dagored

I posted on the RCI cruise board for a cruise on the Jewel in October. It was suggested I post here for info on Hotels in Boston near the port and downtown.

I plan on arriving 2 days early and tour Boston. I would like info from anyone that has taken this cruise out of Boston on suitable, nice, convenient, reasonable hotels. Or anyone that has stayed in Boston and did not cruise.

This is a popular question for Boston. What exact dates are you looking at? Are you 2 people? What is your hotel budget? Boston hotels are expensive, so we usually recommend Hotwire or Priceline. Right now I'm seeing a $145 hotel in Back Bay that is likely to be Hotel 140 and a 4* hotel in the Waterfront (close to the pier) for $225 that is likely to be the Westin Convention Center. These are good deals. I'm not seeing anything else on Kayak in this price range that I would recommend.

Not only are Boston hotels pricey in Oct, they can get booked up because of all the college activities. IMO it's best to make your arrangements before the fall college schedules are set.

Thanks 138east. You were mentioned on the other board as having excellent insight in the Boston area.

I just got off the Westin site and they have a promo going for 1 nite at $229 and one or two more nites that equal your birth year. 50 for me. Something like 2 nites for around $320. I thought that was great.

Going on the Jewel the 7th of October.

I'll book tomorrow if it is that hectic for October.

the Wyndham Boston Chelsea looks nice. Two nites for $574. Which would you prefer?

Which Westin has that rate? I couldn't find it - it looks like a winter rate. There are several Westins out there.

I can't imagine spending $574 to stay at the Wyndham Chelsea.

The Hotwire 4* hotel for $225 is going to be the Westin Convention Center. If not, it will be the Seaport or Renaissance. All are 1 block from the "T" and several blocks from the pier. Not too exciting an area, but there are now more good restaurants nearby.

For Back Bay check out the Hilton, Sheraton, Westin, and Marriott. This is a more lively neighborhood for the evening.

I don't want to scare you into booking today - take some time and do some research. All the deals for Columbus Day weekend may not be out there yet. But don't wait too long - no later than March.

Well, I have been searching for the past hour and I found the Millennium Bostonian Hotel. Two nights with a "balcony having partial view of Faneuil Hall or of the Boston’s North End". Quote is from the hotel site.

$729 - How does that sound. Location looks great.

I appreciate your time and opinion.

What are your sightseeing objectives in Boston? The Millenium is at Faneuil Hall. That area is nice to visit, but I'd really recommend staying in Back Bay. Both the Westin and Marriott are tall hotels that have spectacular views of all of Boston if you get on a high floor. They are also part of Copley Place - a nice indoor connection to shops and restaurants if the weather is bad. The Prudential Center with its shops restaurants is across the street connected by a walkway. This is a nice area for evening activities. The Sheraton and the Hilton are by the Pru. The Hilton has a rate of $239 for your dates.

I agree with 138east - while I really love the Faneuil Hall area, I think Back Bay is best for your needs. If you follow the method for making a LNF lowest rate claim with Marriott that I describe in post #8 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469198, you can get the Marriott Copley Place for $160. It's a very nice, if conventional, large hotel, with spectacular views and excellent service.

Thanks guys. Looking into these, but DW keeps bringing up the Millennium Bostonian. With AARP discount, it comes to $640 including tax. I can cancel 24 hours in advance of arrival date.

Booked the cruise in between searching for hotels, flights not available to book till end of February or early March.

I've stayed in a bunch of Boston hotels, but not the Millenium. It's only a 7 story hotel, so you may have views, but it's not a tall building. The area will be overrun with people on a weekend day, but more deserted once Quincy Market closes. It's a tourist/business area - City Hall Plaza is just up the street and the financial district is two blocks away. I'm not sure about the traffic in the area - it seems to me that the street in front of the hotel is always busy. The new greenway is nearby, but I've heard that has become sketchy at night.

Back Bay has an entirely different feel to it. Lots of restaurants and shops that are open in the evening. There are more places to walk around at night - lots of people live in this area and they are out and about.

Hey 138east, I know you have lots of knowledge about Boston, perhaps you can help. I understand there is(was) scaffolding on the Hilton in the financial district. Is it still there.or has it come down yet? Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I read that because of the scaffolding, a number of the rooms had blocked views. I though you might know which sides of the building to avoid. Thanks anyway

I walked by the The Hilton in the Financial District (on Broad Street) last week. I'm not sure if this is the one you are referring to...but it is still in scaffolding and it doesn't have any views to speak of anyway. The hotel is relatively dark, and the rooms are adequate and clean, but nothing special. It's a business hotel with some floors that have conference rooms. Used to be a Wyndham. In fact, I think their on-site restaurant is under construction as well. It's fine, but not memorable or interesting.

October is a difficult time not only because of parents' weekends at the universities and colleges, leaf-peeping season and also because of all the conferences and conventions.

If you would like to stay somewhere near the waterfront, here are the hotels in that neighborhood: Boston Harbor Hotel (on the harbor), Intercontinental (a few years old, on the harbor), Marriott LongWharf, Hilton, Langham (financial district, old Bank building, and somewhat historical though the rooms are on the small side) and Millenium...plus there is also the Marriot Custom House.

Don't forget to try the AAA rate, or if you are military, government or a senior citizen, those rates. And some fo the hotels (Westin or Marriott?) may have family rates.

Personally, I don't care for the Sheraton or the Marriott Copley Place. They're big, bustling, non-descript hotels in a city with a lot of history. In that area/type however, I would probably pick the Westin. And of course, there's the Mandarin, Four Seasons and the Taj (formerly the Ritz Carlton).

If you want to stay in the financial district, you will be in more of a historical area. Yes, Faneuil Hall is very touristy, but you can walk the Freedom Trail and walk to the North End for the Italian restaurants. Back Bay area is more for wandering the shopping streets, to me.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have questions. :)

Archived