Lamanai, Altun Ha, Kohunlich plus Car Rental

roothy123

I will be going to Belize City and also Costa Maya. I have never seen any Mayan ruins, so I'd like to visit at least one of the above 3 sites. Has anyone been to both Lamanai and Kohunlich? If so, which would you recommend? Is Altun Ha worth visiting? I can't afford to do excursions to all of these, so am looking for some advice on which one to choose. Price-wise, and distance-wise, I believe they're all similar.

Also, has anyone rented a car in Belize City? It would allow more flexibility to see places outside the city (not very interested in the city - but plenty of places an hour away appeal to me), and probably save us some money. Comments, anyone?

you can't drive to lamanai, it's a boat trip and really needs a tour guide.

the roads are awful, even have military outposts right outside of town.

Plus I believe the car rentals are all at the airport, a 20 minute cab ride away. From there you do have the issue of only 2 way traffic. Close to Belize City, you'll have fewer opportunities ot pass slower moving vehicles of which there are plenty. You can drive to Altun Ha and to Xunantunich on reasonably decent roads, but the "get lost" factor, extra time to and from airport plus taxi cost should also weigh heavily on your decision. Full insurance, like in Mexico, would be recommended.

Wait for Costa Maya and then do Kohunlich with Native Choice.

roothy123,

There is a review of a Carnival Dream cruise back in December on the Carnival board now. The reviewer has just posted pictures of the Belize stop. They were on a private driver tour to Altun Ha and were stopped at a police checkpoint nearer the ruins. The driver had to show that everyone had tickets/permits for admission to Altun Ha. Not sure if other documents were required. Or if this was a one time stop with police/military looking for something. Another poster chimed in about friends being put in jail because at one of these stops some others on th etour had illegal substances with them. LSS...they were held in jail long enough to miss the ship. Just something else to consider or be aware of if driving yourself in Belize.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. I am now leaning against doing anything on my own in Belize!! I could still use another person's opinion of which ruins are best to visit - Lamanai or Kohunlich? Opinions, anyone, especially if you've visited both?

Archived