Longest cruise you have taken w/your kids?

sierra77

We've gone on four 7-day cruises with our daughter, the first being when she was 5.5 years old.

Awesome time at the kids' club and I don't think we'll ever get her to go back to Disney World. We try every year and every year she wants to cruise again. She loves the ship, she loves the ports, she loves the adventures. Even though she misses 4 days of school, more than one of her teachers has commented to me that she relates alot of classroom things to her travel experiences. Volcanos, dolphin swims, climbing waterfalls, eco-tours, map reading, people and their cultures -- are you kidding me!! These are things that cannot just be taught in the classroom. Not to mention the family bonding and memories. These are LIFETIME experiences -- they can't be beat!!

At 22 months, my daughter went on a 3-day cruise on Carnival. To Baja California and we only went as far as the little mall right there on the pier. Too young for the kids program but she enjoyed herself. Then at 3 years, she went on her first plane ride and we went on the Paradise (7 days). As it was still non-smoking, it was great for all of us. She only went off the ship at St. Thomas -- we told the cab driver to take us to a good beach and he drove to Sapphire Beach. The rest of the time she was content in the kids area. We even took advantage of the post 10 pm babysitting. After a 4-day Baja cruise (still Carnival), we tried the Star Princess for a 7-day Mexican Riviera. Hubby managed to get her off the ship in Cabo as I was too sick from hay fever (my two times in Puerto Vallerta had the same effect on me). Last summer we went to Alaska. She didn't want to get off the ship at all because she loves the kids program. She did accompany us on the first stop in Ketchikan as I didn't read the fine print and sign her up for in-port babysitting in time (something to remember if you want to leave them on the ship).

Our next cruise will be the 14-day to Hawaii on the Island with plenty of sea days so that will be interesting. My big concern with my daughter is that she is a picky eater. She normally loves pizza but didn't care for the Princess type (too many strange things).

We took our oldest on her first cruise when she was 5, it was a land/sea Disney deal - she's since been on several more cruises. Our youngest daughter went on her first cruise when she was 8 months old and it was for 7 days on the NCL Dawn. We're cruising again w/ her a week from Saturday, she'll be 2.5 for 7 days on HAL.

Our next cruise will be the 14-day to Hawaii on the Island with plenty of sea days so that will be interesting.

That's why I asked. Thinking of doing a 15 Day Circle Hawaii Cruise. There is a potential CC Group 15 day going next year. DS will be 3. We could save a ton of money.

But then I worry about the length of days at sea and if it would be too much for him, that's why I thought about age 4.

That's why I asked. Thinking of doing a 15 Day Circle Hawaii Cruise. There is a potential CC Group 15 day going next year. DS will be 3. We could save a ton of money.

But then I worry about the length of days at sea and if it would be too much for him, that's why I thought about age 4.

The way I look at it is that my son would much rather be on this ship than at home!!! There is a lot to do on board. Unless you have a circus and full time clowns in your home there is no way your child will get bored on the ship. When he needs down time there is always the sanctuary of your cabin. Our son has been on several seven day cruises since he was two and they have all gone well. I think at that young age a 15 day cruise is a lot easier than a 15 car trip with all the hotel changes etc. Kids are amazingly adaptable!!

The way I look at it is that my son would much rather be on this ship than at home!!! There is a lot to do on board. Unless you have a circus and full time clowns in your home there is no way your child will get bored on the ship. When he needs down time there is always the sanctuary of your cabin. Our son has been on several seven day cruises since he was two and they have all gone well. I think at that young age a 15 day cruise is a lot easier than a 15 car trip with all the hotel changes etc. Kids are amazingly adaptable!!

Whew! Thank goodness dosi for the support, I need it. I wasn't sure what to expect. Plus, life is just too short to wait and wait...and I really want to go to Hawaii. :o

Just try to maintain your regular schedule. If you usually nap at 2, try to schedule your day around the nap. If you alway eat at 6 pick the early dinner time. I find that my son does best when the day to day part of life stays the same. It doesnt matter where we are to him as long as there is continuity. It will be fun, just don't expect anymore from your child on vacation than you expect from him or her at home. We love travelling with our son, and by keeping things easy and simple he loves travelling with us!!

Whew! Thank goodness dosi for the support, I need it. I wasn't sure what to expect. Plus, life is just too short to wait and wait...and I really want to go to Hawaii. :o

Hi there,

We did a 15 day cruise when our son was 5. He'd cruised several times before and LOVES the kids program on cruises. He had a ball and didn't want it to end. I think it sort of depends on your little cruiser. If he/she is good with the kids program on a shorter cruise then it'll likely be ok on a longer cruise. One thing you may want to consider is actually doing the cruise duringa hoiliday period if possible so that there are more kids on board. How old is your child? Our son took his first cruiseat 7 months and just finished his 15th less than2 weeks ago and he cannot wait for the next. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Kim

Just try to maintain your regular schedule. If you usually nap at 2, try to schedule your day around the nap. If you alway eat at 6 pick the early dinner time. I find that my son does best when the day to day part of life stays the same. It doesnt matter where we are to him as long as there is continuity. It will be fun, just don't expect anymore from your child on vacation than you expect from him or her at home. We love travelling with our son, and by keeping things easy and simple he loves travelling with us!!

This absolutely works with some kids, in fact some really need consistancy. But it really depends on your kids. We have a very flexible parenting style, mostly because our schedules are so erratic. On the plus side, all three of our kids were able to nap anytime, anywear. When our 2 y.o. is tired, she just asks to go to sleep - either in the stroller if we are out, or in her crib if we are at home. She'll sleep through multiple transfers too, which is nice if we want to run errands during her nap. This transfers to cruising very well, since the whole family will sleep in until 10 (this is one of the things we LOVE about vacation!), and we all stay up past midnight. We have been on 6 of our 8 cruises with kids, most recently we went with our three daughters (10, 7 and 2) on the Coral Princess 10-day Panama canal in Feb '05. Cruising is an ideal vacation for families.

We took our oldest daughter on her first cruise when she was 3 yrs old. Her longest cruise was a 10 night cruise, and one of our most relaxing.

Our youngest daugther is currently 2 1/2 yrs old and will take her first cruise in July in the Mediterranean.

We did 14 days with our boys in December aged 4 and 5, they had a great time. We chose to go before Christmas as we wanted less kids on board. This year we are going again, this time over christmas. They had the best time ever and their teachers too weren't too worried that they missed class as they came back with journals (they drew a picture each day relating to an event the day before and told us what they wanted to write and we helped them) they had so much to tell the class when they returned and the kids had a great time looking at their journals. It was also 20 mins a day when they had a little normality in their vacation. This year my husband wanted to go skiing, but the boys and I won and we are off to the Caribbean again for a 2 week cruise. Can't wait

I would still recommend taking child on shorter cruise first just to see how he handles it. If ok, then shoot for longer cruises. If still in training pants, you will need to pack enough to last as I doubt if the onboard store has them.

Mommykim, how ya doing? Is your son coming along to Hawaii with you?

We are doing a 9 night cruise in June with our kids who are 3 and 5. As long as they are entertained I think they will love it. Can't beat quality time with Mom and Dad without the distractions of work, the house, errands etc.

And how old was your child(ren) at time of travel?

Can you please share your experience with me? :)

We just finished a 10 night cruise on the Horizon to the W Carib with our kids who are 9 and 12 yrs old. Although it is an older ship without the fancier kids rooms that you find on the newer ship, our children had alot of fun. This was their 5th cruise with Celebrity so they are quite accustomed to it. Pictures of the Horizon children's program, if there is any interest.

(and you might be right, I'll tell you when we disembark) but we leave this week for a 19 day cruise. Our kids are 5 and 3 and this is the first cruise for both of them.

It's a very long story about why it seemed like a logical thing to do 2 years ago when we booked it... but now with only 6 days before sailing, I'm alternating between excitement and complete dread.

Not to put a curse on the trip, but my kids travel really well. We fly a lot and they've been on at least five 12+ hour flights and always receive compliments from other passengers for being good. I just hope they will be as good on the ship for 3 weeks as they are on a plane for half a day... Hey, there's no kids club on a plane, right?

(OK, everyone, *gets ready to be flamed* be nice. :o This is the first place I've mentioned their ages, including on my roll call, because I'm so worried people are going to give me a hard time...)

Hey Sierra77,

We've done most of our cruising with our kids. We've been on an Alaskan cruisetour with the kids which encompassed 17 days in all. Our kids were 12 and 9 at the time. Fortunately there were a number of other kids on the trip as well which made it enjoyable for all the parents since the kids all got along. Our other cruises were 7 day ones and also the 4 day plus the parks on Disney. We've found that going with your kids is quite rewarding as long as Mom and Dad make sure they find some alone time as well.

Have fun!

My kids have travlled alot too. 22 hours in the car to Florida, 14 night cruises. International flights and they aways make me proud. They understand that when they get where we are going they'll have a great time. I always allow them to pack a backpack with a few of their favorite toys and I go to the $ store and put together a little bag with crayons, books and a few silly little toys for them - it's amazing how long a few new $ things will keep them amused. I think it's down to the individual child - our's are great (4&5 now) . Ask them their favorite vacation and they always say a cruise. Took them to Disney, all they wanted to do was go back to the hotel to the pool.........

• 4 weeks later...

My 3 & 5 year old both did great. They received several compliments on their behaviour. We were really proud of them. I think what everyone has been saying is right; You know your kids and what they will enjoy. Have fun!! We did! :D

Sierra ~ I traveled with my son when he was 18 months old. NEVER AGAIN! We only flew to AZ (from DC) and stayed a few days and came home. The worst trip of my life. He was just totally out of his element. He cried all the time and showed real signs of insecurity. Later, after he turned 2, I tried it again (this time a 3 hour trip to the ocean). He did MUCH, MUCH better. Now, our daughter is 2 and we're taking a cruise with both of them in June. I think we will be just fine (especially having them both in day care every weekday). IMHO, taking a child under the age of 2 is asking for trouble. Some may disagree. It depends on the temperament of the child. Most cruise lines have programs for children 2 and older. I really feel that both our children will have an absolutel blast. Don't worry about yours having "too much fun." He/She/They will be begging for more!!!

Happy Sailing! :)

Mommykim' date=' how ya doing? Is your son coming along to Hawaii with you?[/quote']

Nope...we invited my parents to join us for this cruise and they couldn't but they still wanted Jonathan for the break so we are sending the 3 of them on a 7 day Mexico while WE go on this one. Win win for everyone.

Archived