Question about dress in MDR for kids

tbiesinger

I will be taking 4 kids on my first cruise next month on the Splendor. They are ages 10, 9, 7 & 4. Is it okay for them to wear jeans and t-shirts in the MDR or do they have to wear polo shirts? Also, are the more athletic type of pants for my oldest acceptable?

Thanks!

I will be taking 4 kids on my first cruise next month on the Splendor. They are ages 10, 9, 7 & 4. Is it okay for them to wear jeans and t-shirts in the MDR or do they have to wear polo shirts? Also, are the more athletic type of pants for my oldest acceptable?

Thanks!

the jeans are ok on non formal / elegant nights. The shirts however should have a collar on them.

Be sure to bring a sweater for the kids...it can be quite chilly in the MDR IMO. Same goes for the shows...

1st Formal night my son was in a shirt and tie with dress slacks (no jacket though) and my DD was in a fancy dress. 2nd formal night he wore khaki dress pants with a polo shirt while DD wore a cute, but less formal dress. I didn't bring them to MDR any other nights since they wanted to go to camp and I took the opportunity to have dinner in the MDR alone with DH.:D

My main question is about the t-shirts. I see that collared shirts are recommended, but it does not state t-shirts are not allowed. I am just trying to figure out if I really need to go buy polo shirts for my sons, since they only have one each currently.

My main question is about the t-shirts. I see that collared shirts are recommended, but it does not state t-shirts are not allowed. I am just trying to figure out if I really need to go buy polo shirts for my sons, since they only have one each currently.

the not allowed part is up to you. they also don't list you can't wear underwear only. :rolleyes:

they paint the picture of what most wear and what you will see. you play a part in the rest.

Just got back from a cruise with a 5 year old. You will be fine with whatever they are wearing.

shoes, T shirt and shorts are definitely fine on regular nights. Formal nights are a little more dressy, but even then, you could get away with T shirts for the kids. Its really a question of what you as the mother are comfortable with. None of the staff are going to give you any trouble about anything you put them in.

Yes you can get away with anything these days... very sad if you ask me!

I have seen some people wearing things to dinner I would not wear to the lido for dinner. I personally make sure my kids are wearing at least Khakis and polo's to dinner but that just me. They have worn nice "golf shorts" on the first night.

My kids are always dressed for Elegant night and we get more compliments :D

We went last year with our 3 kids and when in the MDR I had my boys wearing jeans and a ralph lauren polo t-shirt on regular days and my daughter wore some gymboree dresses. On formal night the boys wore a white polo short sleeved top ( with the collar) and khakis. They fit in just fine with most of the other children in the diningroom. My kids ALWAYS get something on them no matter if it is from them or their siblings:(.

One poor little boy we saw on formal night got into hot water for spilling something on his sleeve- he was in one of the long sleeved oxfords with a clip on type tie. Apparantly they were supposed to get pictures done after dinner- mom was not happy.

hth

First, they can wear anything without risk of being denied service. It just won't happen. Second, you will see all kinds of dressing on formal nights (tuxes, suits, formal gowns, dresses, shirts with tie, no tie, golf shirts, etc.). It is really up to you how you want your kids to dress. We have always dressed up and our teenage boys enjoyed it. This year we are going very casual. Golf shirts and khakis for he whole cruise (yes, even formal nights). Enjoy your cruise!

We went last year with our 3 kids and when in the MDR I had my boys wearing jeans and a ralph lauren polo t-shirt on regular days and my daughter wore some gymboree dresses. On formal night the boys wore a white polo short sleeved top ( with the collar) and khakis. They fit in just fine with most of the other children in the diningroom. My kids ALWAYS get something on them no matter if it is from them or their siblings:(.

One poor little boy we saw on formal night got into hot water for spilling something on his sleeve- he was in one of the long sleeved oxfords with a clip on type tie. Apparantly they were supposed to get pictures done after dinner- mom was not happy.

hth

Crazy Mom. Pictures are before dinner for everyone, if not you are just asking for problems.

My son(7) wears, khakis style pants and polos, suit on elegant night. The only thing new though was a tie he wanted one that matched his dad's. Now we have a trip in April and he has out grown his suit. Not sure if we will get a replacement or not before the trip. He likes to dress similar to his dad. If dad is in the docker style pants with a button down so is my son. Dad in jeans and T so is my son.

For regular nights my boys (ages 7 and 11) will be wearing jeans and polo type shirt. For elegant night they will wear khakis and a button down shirt with a tie. We already have these things though. I dont know that id run out and by a weeks worth of new shirts for the cruise that they wont wear. Maybe save the polo for elegant night ans the t shirts on regular nights ? Honestly just do what you are comfortable with and dont worry about what others say. Have a great cruise!

We have 4 kids also similar to the ages of your kids, and we cruised last month. For the formal night my daughter(12) wore a simple dress with nice sandals, my 3 boys all wore a pair of dress slacks, with long sleeve/button down shirts, no tie. They all wore a pair of nice dark tennis shoes on formal night...........I was planning on bringing dress shoes, but when packing for 6 people those extra shoes took up alot of space, so I didn't bring them. I am sure no one in the MDR even noticed in the short walk to our table and back out. For the non-formal nights, my boys had nice long sleeve matching shirts that were not collared shirts, so as long as it isn't a ratty tshirt, you will be fine without a collared shirt. I am sure people with disagree with that, but I think the more important part of the MDR was that they were well behaved for the entire meal! It was our first cruise, and I didn't realize when you do eat in the MDR, it can be a 2 hour process from start to finish, there were 11 of us total in our group, so that had something to do with it, but that is a long time for 4 kids to sit through a meal every night. I would just suggest to not overpack for outfits just for the MDR.

hth

I'm 36 years old and always want pictures taken before hand because I am a slop. Hope Mom learned from that one. :rolleyes:

Clothing in the MDR can be quite subjective on this board. I personally dress my son in khaki pants with a polo on regular nights with loafers / boat shoes, and then my son wears dress pants, dress shirt & tie with dress shoes on elegant nights. He is 2 years old but we take a lot of pictures & they make for great photos and fits into the setting appropriately.

Clothing in the MDR can be quite subjective on this board. I personally dress my son in khaki pants with a polo on regular nights with loafers / boat shoes, and then my son wears dress pants, dress shirt & tie with dress shoes on elegant nights. He is 2 years old but we take a lot of pictures & they make for great photos and fits into the setting appropriately.

My boys wear the same thing on non-elegant nights. I have them put on a polo shirt when we go out to dinner at home too. It's just how I want them to look. They really enjoyed dressing up (see the posted pic) since they don't get a chance much at home. The pics came out great too! :D

I don't think athletic pants or athletic shorts are allowed in the dining room. My boys, 13, 13, 8 will be wearing khaki shorts or plaid shorts with polo type shirts and on elegant night they will wear khaki pants and collared shirt...haven't figured out the shoe thing yet

If you decide that you want them to wear collared shirts, try the the thrift store and clearance sales.

This is a great time of year for online clearance sales try target, walmart, soffe, etc. . .

True. Target regularly has collared kids shirts (polos) for about $5.

You can get collard shirts at wall mart cheap. Take this opportunity to teach your kids that they need to dress appropriately for different occasions.

Archived