Question about dress in MDR for kids

tbiesinger

I usually put my son in a suit or at least a jacket with slacks and shirt. I always have a "jacket" or suit in his closet, so it is not like I have to buy anything new for him for the cruise. He always gets so many compliments, which he eats up ;)

wow, a polo shirt for elegant night. :confused:-not very elegant imo

my ds-7 on elegant night will be dressed in slacks and a button down with a tie. he's excited about dressing up. dad will be in tux or at least a nice black suit & tie.

i have purchased him a couple of navy and tan pants to wear as well.

We will not do jeans or shorts in the MDR...(except once, on the first night luggage was late and we had no choice)

we dress every night for dinner. if we do not feel like dressing, we go to the lido deck buffet or order room service.

There is nothing wrong with teaching our kids sometimes you just get dressed up a little more-and sometimes i have to remind dh how handsome he is in his tux/suit, and even more handsome out of it! ;)

wow, a polo shirt for elegant night. :confused:-not very elegant imo

my ds-7 on elegant night will be dressed in slacks and a button down with a tie. he's excited about dressing up. dad will be in tux or at least a nice black suit & tie.

i have purchased him a couple of navy and tan pants to wear as well.

We will not do jeans or shorts in the MDR...(except once, on the first night luggage was late and we had no choice)

we dress every night for dinner. if we do not feel like dressing, we go to the lido deck buffet or order room service.

There is nothing wrong with teaching our kids sometimes you just get dressed up a little more-and sometimes i have to remind dh how handsome he is in his tux/suit, and even more handsome out of it! ;)

There is also something to be said for teaching your kids to save money by not having to bring a garment bag on a plane and therefore have to pay a ridiculous fee. My kids know how to dress appropriately and they have worn suits on our prior cruises. It's just not worth it anymore.

We will be on the Splendor next month also (5th-12th)! We have three kids 5,5,3. My 5yr old boy will be in nice jeans, polo shirt or sweater for regular nights and dress pants, white button down shirt with tie for the 2 formal nights. My girls will be in skirts, sundresses regular nights and dressy dresses for formal nights. I am hoping being in nicer clothes will produce good behavior/manners:)

Kids - especially the little ones, will be fine in anything. I often bring my son (he is four and will be going on his sixth cruise in February) in shorts, sandals and t-shirt. The trick is to dress yourself appropriately - everyone will be forgiving of the kids - you want them to have fun and be comfortable too!

There is also something to be said for teaching your kids to save money by not having to bring a garment bag on a plane and therefore have to pay a ridiculous fee. My kids know how to dress appropriately and they have worn suits on our prior cruises. It's just not worth it anymore.

I guess I figure luggage cost into my cruise fare. If I can afford to fly my luggage in I prob should not be cruising. I know it's a joke to pay luggage fees but it is what it is.

If I can't afford to buy my kids the attire they need to eat in the MDR there are plenty of other options.

I guess I figure luggage cost into my cruise fare. If I can afford to fly my luggage in I prob should not be cruising. I know it's a joke to pay luggage fees but it is what it is.

If I can't afford to buy my kids the attire they need to eat in the MDR there are plenty of other options.

But that's the point, there is no "need" to buy or bring the fancy clothes anymore. It's not a matter of "can't afford," it's more "why bother."

It personally does not bother me how others dress. I rarely look at what others are wearing. With that being said, I prefer that my kids are somewhat dressed up. It's easy for me though because they actually like it. My son (almost 9) asked to wear a tie for picture day at school. LOL

I say, you'll be fine with whatever you have if you feel comfortable walking in with them dressed like that. Because trust me, you'll get dirty looks. haha I think you're safer with at least polos. :)

As for the previous poster who mentioned the upset mom because their child messed up their sleeve before pictures. That's too bad... accidents happen especially with kids!! We had one night where we all got dressed up but had no time to take our pics before dinner so we decided to take them after. I kept telling the kids to be careful. To move their drinks away, to eat over the plate etc etc.... BUT, in the end.... it was my hubby who walked out with sauce all over his tie!!! LOL

Well, for my upcoming trip on Splendor I will have my 4 yo wearing a diaper and undershirt (cant really see the stains). I'll have to stop and get him flip flops or something since we'll be in the dining room.

I have made it clear to my kids that we will be eating in the MDR every night and that they will have to be dressed appropriately. They can wear jeans and their sneakers on non-formal nights along with a polo shirt.

Formal nights, they will have to have dress slacks, shoes, button down shirts and ties. I will not buy them blazers because at 12 and 13 they are sprouting up right now and wont fit them within 2 weeks.

If somebody else's kids are in the MDR in jeans and t-shirts on non-formal nights, doesn't bother me. On RCI in September, everybody at my table was dressed very well on non-formal nights with blazers, etc. The teens/young 20's people at the next table over were wearing low rider baggy jeans, one guy had a basketball uniform with the shorts and tank top. The really shocking thing was - my food tasted the same.

I have made it clear to my kids that we will be eating in the MDR every night and that they will have to be dressed appropriately. They can wear jeans and their sneakers on non-formal nights along with a polo shirt.

Formal nights, they will have to have dress slacks, shoes, button down shirts and ties. I will not buy them blazers because at 12 and 13 they are sprouting up right now and wont fit them within 2 weeks.

That's what I had my kids wear too. Like you, I didn't do the blazers either for the same reason.:)

Archived