Car Hire in Cozumel

mudlark

When you say "car hire", do you mean renting a car and driving it yourself or having a taxi dedicated to you for the day?

If you mean renting a car and driving it yourself, I wouldn't do it. I'd be afraid of having an accident or breakdown and missing the boat.

We have hired a taxi for an entire day at some ports (not Cozumel). It has worked out quite well and wasn't very expensive since we had another couple with us. It is all a negotiation between you and the driver. You might find some more information on the ports board.

Last year when we were on the Equinox, it docked at the port about 1 mile south (I think) of the downtown area.

If you are looking for a guide or driver for the day, I would recommend checking out the Ports of Call board here on Cruise Critic; lots of good information on ports there and there is an entire thread for Cozumel. If you are meaning obtaining a car that you would drive, I personally would not be comfortable doing that in Mexico. Too much corruption there if something went wrong (i.e. an accident). That said, this option is available if you want to take the risk.

Archived