Upgrade or upsell??

HGJ1370

Does anyone know if there is a difference?? Received a call from NCL upsell today. Went to the travel agent and he was giving the price of $7,000 + for an upgrade from a mini-suite. This wasn't my travel agent helping, but he didn't seem interested in helping me and I will be contacting my agent first thing in AM.

Since NCL contacted me, would this be a couple hundred more or more like the thousands the the agent mentioned?? We are traveling on the Gem in 2 weeks.

Has anyone been through this before?

Thanks

Heather

Does anyone know if there is a difference?? Received a call from NCL upsell today. Went to the travel agent and he was giving the price of $7,000 + for an upgrade from a mini-suite. This wasn't my travel agent helping, but he didn't seem interested in helping me and I will be contacting my agent first thing in AM.

Since NCL contacted me, would this be a couple hundred more or more like the thousands the the agent mentioned?? We are traveling on the Gem in 2 weeks.

Has anyone been through this before?

Thanks

Heather

An upgrade is free, an upsell isn't.

I'm sure someone w/ more experience will chime in, but the cost of an upsell is usually a percentage of the cost difference between the cabin you have and the listed price of the cabin you're being offered. I don't think there's a set percentage, but 50% seems to be common.

We are 3 ppl in a mini-suite (MA) and are quite happy with this choice when we booked this room. The price of $7,000+ (plus what we already paid) made no sense to me for a 2 br suite upsell. I thought the deals were supposed be worthwhile and if I was booking a 2 br suite today, I would pay around that (maybe more). This can't be the "upsell" that everyone is waiting for since there is no discount or incentive that I can see.

Hopefully, I'll have better luck with my travel agent tomorrow (instead of the ding bat she works with) who didn't know what he was doing.

I'll keep you posted on what kind of deal the "upsell fairy" will do us. :)

Heather

If you booked your cruise through TA then they should have been contacted by NCL about upsells and the TA should be calling you about it - NCL only calls you direct if you booked the cruise through them.

As for the upsell price it is usually a fraction of the price difference between the two cabins with the same number of people.There is rarely a upgrade for free - unless you get onboard and there is extra space and your room has problems - like sewage leak or worse.

I noticed in the original post the date was about 2 weeks prior to the upcoming cruise listed in Heather's signature, assuming this is the one being referred to, is that the standard timeframe that one could expect to be upsold/upgraded? About 2 weeks prior to departure?

Thanks!

I noticed in the original post the date was about 2 weeks prior to the upcoming cruise listed in Heather's signature, assuming this is the one being referred to, is that the standard timeframe that one could expect to be upsold/upgraded? About 2 weeks prior to departure?

Thanks!

I've seen posts where some have gotten calls several weeks from departure and others the day before so I don't think there is any standard timeframe and probably has to do with what is left for inventory.

We were offered an upsell on Jade from a mini-suite to a CV for $1000. This was about four days before our cruise. On our Jewel Canada cruise we were offered an upsell from the 2-BR family suite to an Owner's suite the day before the sailing, for $900. We turned the latter offer down because we like the (used to be) AB better. NCL doesn't give you long to accept an upsell. If they don't hear back from you rather quickly, they just move down their list and offer the upsell to the next customer.

we were upsold on the Gem to the 2 bedroom suite also - room 11024 - pictures in my signature.

Enjoy the suite life!!!

OMG.... that is the exact suite we just got!!! Thanks for the pics, now we know exactly what the room looks like.:D

Heather

OMG.... that is the exact suite we just got!!! Thanks for the pics, now we know exactly what the room looks like.:D

Heather

Heather - we loved the room. We actually only sailed the 2 of us (it was our anniversary so the kids stayed home) but we LOVED it. The bathroom is heavenly. It's a very convenient room - elevators are close and you can just walk up the stairs a flight or two for the pool deck or Cagney's. Definitely enjoy the breakfast at Cagney's! Our butler was Roy and our Concierge was David but that was in October so I'm guessing they move people around. We also ran into our butler Roel from the Epic and we LOVE him. Take advantage of the perks!!

When you check in in NY make sure you go to the VIP section to check in. You sit is a separate room where the concierge is actually there and he can take care of any reservations you may want at restaurants. He got the spa pass for us right away. We just had to visit the spa to pay for it but he reserved it (there are only a certain number of passes per sailing). There was also a small table of refreshments/sandwiches as you wait. It puts you in the pampering mood right away!

Have fun!!! I'm so jealous, especially since you leave on my birthday!! Enjoy :)

Archived