Connections Heathrow to Euston

rugbypopsie

We are a group of 4 travelling to UK in September to narrowboat from Chirkbase. We are catching a train from Euston Station and are thinking of getting a car and driver to collect us from plane and take us to Euston. It seems the train we want runs every hour.

Is this a good plan or does someone have a better option for us?

Sue

A taxi from Heathrow to Euston will take, I would guess, over an hour and will be expensive. if you are not in a rush and have lots of luggage it may be worth it

We have used a car service company from LHR to central London many times and found them to be reasonable and very efficient. (Do not take a black cab as that will be very expensive!) Set price but varies on size of vehicle and number of bags. Last time we did it cost around £65/70, so for a meet and greet, car with driver for four of you, that's the best way to do it IMHO. No hassle and a bit of sight-seeing on the way! You can usually book online and then you'll know you'll be met and no worries.

Just type in Heathrow - London car transfers and you'll get a few companies coming up - not sure if I can mention the one we used here but someone may let me know if I can and I'll re-post.

John Bull where are you when we need you?:);)

I am not sure where Chirkbase is, and google failed to find it but you might consider asking for a quote from Heathrow direct to your narrowboat hire company; rail travel for 4 adults is expensive in the UK, although you can save considerably by pre-booking well in advance through The Trainline or similar internet agency.

I am not sure where Chirkbase is, and google failed to find it but you might consider asking for a quote from Heathrow direct to your narrowboat hire company; rail travel for 4 adults is expensive in the UK, although you can save considerably by pre-booking well in advance through The Trainline or similar internet agency.

I believe the OP accidentally omitted a space and it should be Chirk base, in other words the narrowboat company's base on the canal at Chirk. Chirk is in North Wales and is about 200 miles from Heathrow.

Heathrow Express to London Paddington, then tube to Euston, make sure you book in advance as on the day travel in the UK can be expensive.

Are you sure that would be a better option than a car and driver (not a taxi) to pick us up at the airport and take us straight to Euston as we have a a fair bit of luggage. The car would be about 90 pounds which is cheap per couple.

Sue:)

Are you sure that would be a better option than a car and driver (not a taxi) to pick us up at the airport and take us straight to Euston as we have a a fair bit of luggage. The car would be about 90 pounds which is cheap per couple.

Sue:)

If you have luggage I would definitely opt for a car or a shuttle.

http://www.resorthoppa.com will pick you up at Heathrow. Put in NW postocde as a guide for destination. They have a sale on right now.

Thanks for all the assistance and after some research I have found the following.

Yes its much better to take a car and driver into London from Heathrow.

However the cost of the train to Chirk and back after the narrow boating was absolutely unbelievable...soo I am getting a car and driver to pick us up from Heathrow and drive us to Chirk for a quarter of what it would cost by train. Hire cars could have been arranged but after such a long flight no one felt like driving we just wanted to sit back and enjoy the countryside.

Now I just have to contain my excitement until I get to see you in September.

Sue

Sounds like a good choice, even without the cost considerations ( and remember the cost of transport from rail station to boatyard would also be significant) the convenience of door to door alone would be worth a premium.

Have a great time, the UK is often at its best in September.

New Salt

Chick is a wonderful canal, I have walked from Chirk to Llangollen many times myUncle has a farm that way, you’ll have a super holiday if the weather is in your favour it can be lovely in Sept or very damp. Don’t forget to call in the shop and get your certificate when you cross the Pontcysyllt Aqueduct the view over the Dee Valley is awesome. Sorry I ramble.

I understand you getting a car and driver to Chirk, after the flight, but may I suggest you hire a car and drive yourself back making a stop in Ironbridge worth the stop birth place of the Industrial Revolution or Shrewsbury medieval town. If I can help just shoutI live in this area have a good time

Chick is a wonderful canal, I have walked from Chirk to Llangollen many times myUncle has a farm that way, you’ll have a super holiday if the weather is in your favour it can be lovely in Sept or very damp. Don’t forget to call in the shop and get your certificate when you cross the Pontcysyllt Aqueduct the view over the Dee Valley is awesome. Sorry I ramble.

I understand you getting a car and driver to Chirk, after the flight, but may I suggest you hire a car and drive yourself back making a stop in Ironbridge worth the stop birth place of the Industrial Revolution or Shrewsbury medieval town. If I can help just shoutI live in this area have a good time

Thanks for all the assistance...I am thinking I will be sad to only have 1 1/2 weeks in UK this trip...had a wonderful driving holiday staying in B & B's a few years ago. But with the hassle of returning hire car and only needing it for one day we are sticking with being driven at least we can sit back and enjoy the scenery. Hoping for great weather...we certainly haven't had any here this Australian summer.

We have tickets to tour Buckingham Palace on Saturday morning...so no time for slacking off in the countryside...unfortunately.

Archived