Customs at Port Canaveral

wendysue44

When we return from our cruise we are not going to be in a hurry as we are spending a few days in Orlando afterwards so we will not be doing self assist with our luggage. My question how does customs work. Do we go through before or after we get our luggage back? What actually is the process?

Thanks in advance!

You pick up your luggage first then you're directed into a line. Make sure you have your completed customs form and passport (or ID) in hand. They ask a couple of questions and then you're through.

You pick up your luggage first then you're directed into a line. Make sure you have your completed customs form and passport (or ID) in hand. They ask a couple of questions and then you're through.

Do they actually search your luggage? The reason I ask is because we are smokers and the price for cigarettes on the ship are very cheap, but there is no way I am going to smoke 5 cartons in five days.:eek: I see that you are only allowed to bring back one carton. Just wondering what to do with the rest.

You will be asked (verbally and in written form) if you have anything to declare regarding purchases made outside the US. I have found that honesty is always the best policy and every time I've ever brought back more than is allowed, I've always declared and never have had to pay any extra duty. I realize some people find it thrilling to lie to customs officials, but his ole boy won't do it!

I feel the same way. The customs agents have the power to make your life very miserable if they catch you lying or not declaring items - I've always declared what I had and never had a problem.

They do however, have the right to seize any additional cartons over 1 per person. Unlike liquor where you can pay the duty, the letter of the law on that one is that they seize and destroy extra tobacco products.

If your itin. includes St. Thomas, you can bring back 5 cartons as long as a certain number of them were purchased there.

Archived