QM2 captains

ciaobella

There are two captains. Commodore Warwick and Captain Paul Wright. Commodore Warwick’s father was involved with the design and development and served as QE2’s first Captain. So the Warwick family tradition carried on. Sorry to say I don’t know many details about Paul Wright. I do know he was captain of QE2 before being transferred to QM2. I have had the pleasure of sailing with both on the QE2 and they are both uniquely wonderful in their own way. I remember sailing on a QE2 Bermuda cruise in 2003 with Captain Wright. He made it a point to arrive at Newport RI hours before our schedule to ensure we had the prime spot which the cruise ship Aurora was to be given. It was quite fun to listen to Captain Wright’s commentary regarding our “race” with Aurora.

I agree with sea-sea's post. I have sat at Commorodore Warwick's table when he was Captain of the QE2 in 1998. He is a very interesting person. He and I are both Titanic nuts. We sat and discussed the Titanic at length during one of the dinners that week (along with his son Sam).

I have sailed with Captain Wright a few times but only got to meet him on our QM2 cruise last November. He is a very amiable person who seems to have alot of fun with his job. He does take great pleasure in beating other ships to port so his ship can have the prime spot so that the other ships have to look up to the best ships in the world (QE2, QM2). Okay, so I am biased. I admit it! He flew my Cunard House Flag (that had flown over the QE2) over the QM2 and even presented my wife, my niece, and myself one of the new flags that flew on the QM2 during our cruise. He also gave us a personnal tour of the bridge and let us blow the horns at noontime. I will never forget him or that cruise for his efforts and how he treated us. I can't wait to sail with him again.

Ed

From what I read on these boards its seems that the Captains are a real and evident part of the life of the ships. How good to hear. I hope we get the chance to hear some of the Captain's interesting stories. Thanks for all the information.

What's the difference between a Commodore and a Captain? I am impressed that the man in charge reads this board! He is obviously interested in every facet of his job. I have enjoyed meeting the captain on every cruise I've ever taken - some have taken a personal interest in the passengers, some have not. It's not just about steering the ship! Captain Knut Hansen (RSSC) from Norway is wonderful! I wonder if there is a "Captains of Major Ships" club to which all captains belong?! What a select group!

Archived