Cozumel scuba in January what to bring what will we get?

dpg612

I'm going to be in Cozumel on a celebrity cruise in 2 weeks. I'm PADI certified but I've never been diving on a cruise excursion and I'm not sure how the Cozumel water will be in January.

Generally when diving I would at least bring my own fins, hood, boots, mask, gloves. Should I do this on the excursion as well? Should I definitely NOT do this for any reason?

I have seen varying information about water temps there in January. The only wetsuit I own is a 7mil and again I'm used to wearing a hood and gloves in New York. Should I pack the wetsuit (one isn't included with the excursion). If the water is cold will they offer to rent us one above and beyond the excursion fee? Will I want to pack a jacket for the boat after the dive?

Thanks for the help.

Hood and gloves (I assume you are talking wet suit gloves and not reef gloves) are way overkill. I like a 3 mil suit in Jan but many dive w/out. Most operators will rent them but at extra cost above standard gear rental rate. I prefer to take my own mask and fins, and my fins are worn with boots so I take those

(p.s. reef gloves are a no no in most of the Carib if diving with a shop in one of the national parks - to prevent touching . . . I carry one glove in my BC pocket to use if I end up hanging on a crusty anchor line for the safety stop.)

A light jacket or windbreaker can come in handy, altho if it is cold I usually just keep the wetsuit on until at the pier. Most rides are under 30 minutes.

Thanks for the fast reply. I feel better that I'll be able to rent a lighter suit from the operator. Any idea what the fees would be?

Yes I meant wetsuit gloves. I dive in cold New York it's what I'm used to.

I was just in Cozumel 3 weeks ago .. water temp low 80's 3 mil/shortie is good if you are used to New York ..jump in a taxi($20) and dive with ProDive/ Allegro Hotel - south end of island - free nitrox ..contact via web and let them know and they will forward paperwork and have everything ready for when you get there...let me know if can add more info - you won't need the gloves or hood

Bill

I dove in a 1 mm the last two weeks in Costa Maya, Roatan, and Belize and was comfortable. The water was 76 degrees at the coldest, and that was at about 120-140 feet deep. My boyfriend wore a 3 mm and he was comfortable. He always wears thicker suits than I do.

Archived