River tubing excursion from Falmouth

sjf

We are going to be in Falmouth on March 13th. The ship tour seems very expensive for just river tubing and the independent operators all seem to include Dunns River Falls as well, which we don't want and which makes it even more expensive.

Has anyone done the river tubing without Dunns... and without breaking the bank? Any advice much appreciated.

My husband and I did the ship's tour of just tubing. We had a good enough time. A low hanging branch hit my husband in the face knocking his glasses off into the river. I was in the tube in back of him (we were all hooked together) and I reached for them and saved them. We now travel with those bright colored elastic glasses keepers. I would not do this tour again... because I've already done it, but I'm glad that we did it once.

Nancy

I did the river tubing through the ship's excursion. It was excellent - and they were very efficient when my tube sank [snagged on a rock] out from under me and dumped me in the river! I felt it was worth the money.

How long was the trip overall?

Well, it all depends upon the traffic. You see... you have to go up, up, and up to get to the head of the river. Going we were fine, but coming back we had road work, etc. It was several hours for sure. The life vests they made us wear were stinky. I took mine off as soon as we got going. I didn't like being strung with everyone else. I understand why, but I would have preferred going with just a few. We traveled up the hill in modified jeeps, I think. The back where we all sat, had a cloth cover for the sun, but the sides and back were open. It would have been illegal for us all in the US. I guess it could have been a modified pick up. Oh well, we had fun, but I would never personally drive in Jamaica.

Nancy

We just got back this past Sunday. This was our 3rd time in Jamaica, and two of those times, we have done the river tubing with a private guide (Mark Morris). He's very friendly and talkative. He brings us to the White River. From the Falmouth port, it's about an hour of driving each way. The tubing excursion, plus general sightseeing in Ocho Rios (not Dunn's River Falls), shopping, stopping for jerk chicken, etc. was $65 per person plus a tip (4 in our group). Let me know if you want his contact info. There are lots of other reviews on this board about him, all good ones, so you would be in great hands.

Also, he has other drivers that work for him. Our last trip was spent with Michelle (Johnson, I think) and she was great! We met up with Mark at various points throughout the day, and it was a very nice day.

If you are interested in jerk chicken and pork, ask to go to Scotchies.

Also, his dad has a small pottery shop in his house if you/spouse are interested. We bought 3 pieces ($36 total) and my husband dropped my carry-on bag at the airport. One was mortally wounded, one a flesh wound, and the other, unscathed!:D

Also, tell him Julie Smith from NC says hi!:)

Archived