Fantasy Horn Blast stoking my withdrawal

Matt62

I was just doing a little afternoon yard work a few minutes ago when the Fantasy prepared to depart and made its departure horn blasts. It made my cruise withdrawal symptoms worse (and it tempts me to actually cruise on the Fantasy even though it is as old as my marriage). While it docks within walking distance of my house (without luggage ;)), I avoided it because of its age, lack of balcony cabins, length of cruise, itinerary (etc) to cruise the Miracle for 8 nights in December but the ease of jumping back aboard a ship that close for that little $$, and letting someone else do the cooking and cleaning, sure is appealing.

Is cruise withdrawal common? I know it is. I figure I'll just ask the question to stoke the Carnival v. RCL debate that seems so hot today. Beats round 15 of the GOP debates I suppose.

Maybe someone needs to cruise the Fantasy and then RCL's Monarch (almost the same age) and give us a real "apples to apples" comparison. Of course, we could line up 20 people to do just that and get 20 conflicting but honest opinions. Any volunteers?

Matt

Charleston

CCL Miracle (Christmas 2011)

DCL Wonder (New Years 2006)

CCL Fascination (1999)

RCL Nordic Empress (1996)

RCL Song of Norway (May 1991)

CCL Jubilee (New Years 1988)

CCL Holiday (New Years 1987)

CCL Festivale (New Years 1986)

Dec 20, 2011 Miracle Review

I haven't been on any other ship than the Fantasy to compare it to but I am more than happy to cruise on her. Actually going on my 3rd next month. Just can't beat the convenience of Charleston. I cruise with my mom and she flies to Myrtle Beach, sees the grandchildren, then we go to Charleston and cruise. Best. Now I do want to go on different ships (longer and different itinaries) but will take the Fantasy over now cruise anyday

I haven't been on any other ship than the Fantasy to compare it to but I am more than happy to cruise on her. Actually going on my 3rd next month. Just can't beat the convenience of Charleston. I cruise with my mom and she flies to Myrtle Beach, sees the grandchildren, then we go to Charleston and cruise. Best. Now I do want to go on different ships (longer and different itinaries) but will take the Fantasy over now cruise anyday

I'm glad you are enjoying it. If you live in the Carolinas it sure is easy. I remember touring it about 20 years ago and looking at the photos of it today it seems to have been updated nicely. I can't wait for us to have our new Cruise Ship terminal. A city as handsome as Charleston deserves a nicer terminal both for ship based her as well as our many visiting ships.

Well according to your past cruise list you were on the Fascination so being they are the same class ship I would say they would be very very close to the same:)

You are correct. It has however, been a very, very long time since I was on the Fascination. Given the photos I have seen, it does look like the Fantasy has been updated pretty well but we all know how company web photos can be misleading.

The rumor in Charleston (and elsewhere) is that the Fantasy, despite showing bookings for many months to come, is going to move on to some third tier Carnival owned cruise line in the Med (like the Holiday, Jubilee, etc) and that some other ship will replace her in Charleston (assuming the jack...es in Charleston suing Carnival don't chase them off altogether)

I am the mom. Except for the lack of balconys (I am a balcony snob) the Fantasy is in good shape. My favorite class in the spirit class. Get this quick one in and I will be platinum.

If I lived that close to a Carnival ship I'd be one of these lucky posters you see with 4+ cruises a year in under my posts! We sailed on the Fantasy and while I like the Fascination better, it was still a great time. Sailing Conquest in 4 days so now I'll have a little bit better ship to compare to.

If I lived that close to a Carnival ship I'd be one of these lucky posters you see with 4+ cruises a year in under my posts! We sailed on the Fantasy and while I like the Fascination better, it was still a great time. Sailing Conquest in 4 days so now I'll have a little bit better ship to compare to.

Yea it is awfully tempting. My son happens to have his spring break from his senior year in high school in early April, a time my daughter is still in school and my wife is scheduled to work, a lot, so I thought it might be a great idea for my son and I to take a men only cruise on the Fantasy while my wife works. Turns out, my wife and I were not on the "same page" on this idea of mine, as they say.:D

Did you record the ship horn? I would love to hear it. especially since I am too far from Baltimore to hear the Pride and i had a ship horn ring tone on my phone but lost it when i switched phones :(

I downloaded the ship horn from Myxer at no cost but I prefer Bang your Drum as my ringtone

Archived